Chapter Two: Reaper

Start from the beginning

"They don't understand that the systems broken. It's sad, really. That they think they're helping people." Silvia took the plate when the cell was opened, and smirked when it was shut again.

The man winked at her, his clouded eye struggling to focus. His voice lowered to a whisper. "I'm on watch next week. Perhaps it would be best if you were on high alert." His index finger flicked against a metal bar and it echoed down the hall. "These doors have been mysteriously... unlocking themselves of late."

"I'll keep it in mind." Silvia felt the edge of her lips twitch but contained the smile that wanted to break forth as the man walked away.

Many within the police force still supported heroes like Superman, but others had started to agree with those further down. They were sick of the injustice, and the leniency served to murderers. This greatly benefitted Silvia as it gave her new contacts inside the prison.

The blonde sat down and the concrete sent a chill to her skin. The food on her plate was similar to that of everyone else's instead hers had a small portion of mashed potato smothered in gravy, and there had been extra care that her bread did not get squashed upon arrival.

The entire building then began to rumble, and Silvia started digging into her revolting meal. Multiple thundering booms shook through the concrete fortress. Silvia noticed that the mash was a bit...clumpy. It wasn't last time, she recalled. She scrunched her face up, but continued to devour the food.

"All personnel, Code Red situation in Delta Wing! Repeat, Code Red situation, Delta Wing!" A voice called over the PA. "Distress call has been sent to the Watchtower; evacuate all non-combat personnel immediately."

Silvia stirred the potato across her plate, the gravy sinking into each crevice it created. She glanced up at the speakers before looking back down to her food with a bored expression. Having had enough of the mash and gravy, she grabbed the bread. Silvia munched upon the cold, stale loaf as guards armed in tactical gear sprinted past her cell door, shouting jargon at each other. Silvia felt around the bottom of her food tray with one hand...and wiggled something loose. She raised a small silver shiv into the light, inspecting it.

Screams and roars echoed through the prison, as confused inmates shouted questions at each other. Then there was an alarm that rotated between about six different annoying noises of varying pitch and volume. It could only be described as something between a guttural cry and a shriek.

Silvia had only just pushed her plate away before the alarm ceased. A short period of silence engulfed the wing until, finally, there was a low horn and the sound of multiple doors unlocking at once. The cells swung open and from inside the criminals dashed out, fighting against each other to escape.

The blonde woman quickly concealed the shiv in her sleeve and got to her feet. Outside, there were a few other confused inmates peering out of their cells as the screams and thuds grew louder. Silvia shuffled to the cell door, but stayed inside.

"Hey!" A prisoner across the hall began to pace over to Silvia's cell. "You're that bitch who blew up my crew! You're fucking dead, you piece of--"

An earth shattering roar tore at the silence, as a massive purple beast stampeded through the wing, snatching the inmate with one fell motion. The monster was taking gunfire from the guards...but Silvia swore that he seemed to get larger with every round that hit. The man in his hand gradually shrivelled like a sultana, until he was nothing but a barely living husk. The monster pegged the prisoner at the wall, before lunging at the group of guards, out of Silvia's line of sight.

Around the hall she could see the horrified looks some of the inmates wore, whilst the smarter of the bunch realised that the guards were distracted by the monster. Silvia gave one faint look toward the corpse of the shrivelled man, deciding that he probably deserved much worse.