XLIV - Cecilia

I glanced over at the dairy owner. He was talking to a lady with a baby stroller, laughing and waving his hands above his head. I smiled, and slipped a packet of pink smokers into my pocket. The store owner laughed again. I shot him a glance. He hadn't noticed me.

I walked over to a different isle, and pretended to look at the cold drinks for a minute.

My neck felt weird without Rosia's necklace. But, Rosia insisted that she went with Sanders on the boat.

The whisper flared to life in the back of my head. Hide.

I ducked behind a shelf. Had the shopkeeper seen me? I had a clear run to the door from my current spot.

Hide.

But I was-

Someone limped through the door. "Hello again." I froze. No no no no no no no. The cop started forwards, knee buckling. I backed away.

Lionel's voice sounded faint. What's wrong? What's going on?

The voice stuttered. Stand up, and rest your hand on shelf. I stood up slowly, placing my hand on the shelf as balance. I felt plastic packaging.

Take it, and rest arm by your side. I pulled the item of the shelf as casually as I could, and held it in my off hand, just out of his sight. He was getting closer.

I threw my thoughts out of my head. He's here.

Who? Are you in any danger?

The officer cracked into a grin.

The shopkeeper tapped on his cash register. "May I ask what your business is with this young girl?"

The cop turned towards the man behind the counter.

The voice crackled. Run.

I bolted past the cop, and sprinted out onto the street. He stumbled after me.

I sprinted around a street corner, and bolted down a side alley. Great idea Cecilia. Worked perfectly last time you tried this. I looked down at the item the voice told me to grab. It was a knife, still sealed in its plastic packaging.

I could hear footsteps at the entrance to the alley. I took off running again, and emerged on a different street. There were no cars anywhere. No people.

The footsteps were getting closer. I ran, wrestling with the package. It was sealed at both ends. I began working the point of the knife against the packaging, trying to wear it down faster. I cut through another alley, and emerged back on the first street I was on. Still no people.

I worked the edge of the knife against the plastic. A little sliver of metal was poking out of the top of the package.

More mistimed steps echoed down towards me. I started running further down the street. I stopped at an intersection.

The voice started hissing, like a broken tv. I glanced both ways. No cars. No people. I pushed more of the point through the plastic. It was nearly halfway out now.

The voice snapped back to full reception. Go left.

I nodded, and jogged away to the left. I looked over my shoulder. The cop was still hobbling behind me, smiling away.

I ducked down a different alley, to try throw him off my scent. I hit a dead end. The entrance to the alley went dark. There was a massive silhouette covering the entrance. I pulled the knife the rest of the way out of the package.

His metal earring glinted in the dusk light. I brandished my nice, new knife.

He pulled out a nightstick from his belt, and twirled it. "You know, I'm really happy it's this way. I want you to feel every iota of control I have over you, as you die. In your final moments, you will belong to me."