III - Sanders

Seeing the world upside down gives an interesting perspective on things. I was hanging to the tree with a spike driven through my left hip bone, and my throat slashed. I'd been bled dry like a slaughtered pig. Crusted blood covered my face and head. My right eye was picked out and scratched open, with the fluid drained away from it. A light breeze swung me gently. My yellowing arms were covered in scratches and bruises, ranging from cuts to massive gauges. I sighed.

I could just see the edge of the setting sun from the way I was hanging. I wanted to scream. The worst part was how I couldn't move. Everything was just out of sight. I sighed again, and watched the colour bleed away from the horizon.

The sunrise came sooner than I expected. At least I could see the trees around me now. Funny, but who thought death would be this boring. Maybe that's why so many people are afraid of it. Something rustled in the tree tops above me. There was more rustling. Then a caw. That bloody crow was back.

It fluttered down to the ground, and looked up at me. Looked at my left eye. It cocked its head, and edged it's beak forward slowly. Then it snapped forwards, and ripped out my vision.

I could hear it squawking, and snapping its beak as it tried to crush the eye into a shape that would fit down its gullet. Eventually, it flapped away. Bloody bird.

I feel the days passing by the temperature now. Nights were cold, not that it bothered me, and the days were warmer. The crow hadn't come back for three days. I took that as a sign things were improving.

Two more days passed. Still no crow. I kind of missed it. I could hear this little voice now in the back of my mind. No, two voices. They were getting louder. A little buzz in the back of my mind. Finally I made them out more clearly. Two teenagers. And their voices in my head were getting louder.