X - Jess

Another two days had passed before the weather was settled enough for me to gather again. A large cloud of my ash swirled above the building I had come out of, and that part of my body was still stuck in. It was touching plastic, and a dry, salty dust. I willed my ash downwards, and landed right in front of the sign. 

It was dark, and a little cold. Everything was still. I was exposed out here, but I was safe for now. The edges of my consciousness touched stone, dirt, flour, puke and cat hair. I reached out, and directed the pieces to where I was. Maybe I just wasn't close enough last time.

A small flake of ash landed on the small pile. Then another. Then two. I smiled. This was getting easier. I shifted my focus on the point, and concentrated harder. My thoughts cleared a little. The endless white noise softened, and my other senses sharpened. It was too dark to read the sign like this.

I picked up my ash, and threw myself up against the sign to feel the letters. There was three words. I just couldn't read them yet. More ash landed around me. I dragged it into the cluster. I could make out the individual letters again. So close.

A light breeze shattered me into a million floating pieces. I was cold. I was moving. I had been right there. 

No. I was going to see that sign. Something was important about this place, and I needed to know. I focused on the little flecks of ash remaining on the sign. And pushed myself towards it. I gathered in mid-air, and punched through the breeze, pushing for the sign. Little pieces of me peeled away and scattered down the road. I let them go. The sign was so close now.

I called every piece of my upwind ash towards me. I pushed my main cohesion up against the sign, and forced every piece up against it. Three words. More ash joined me. The breeze nearly tore me off again. I could feel individual letters now. A big chunk of ash hit me. I read the sign. _ eo_gi_ Mental Institution. 

I let go of the sign, and sank down into the wind. Don't jump to conclusions Jess. Don't jump to conclusions, or they'll jump on you. Why was I in there? Was I crazy? I let myself drift on the wind. I couldn't remember like this.

Good.