XXIV - Samuel

Lionel tisked. I'm still shocked at how little you care.

I paused the memory I was scanning through. Don't tell me you were really surprised.

She's our sister. And she's dead.

Forgive me Brother, but don't we have slightly more pressing concerns?

More pressing than finding out our sister is a sentient pile of ash?

I re-started the memory playing again in the background. Yes. Like figuring out what is going on here.

Lionel growled. You don't care at all, do you?

In the memory, I was reading on my bed. About something I can't change or affect? No. I am sad Jess is dead. But I'm more concerned with problems that haven't happened yet.

Like what?

I watched as I slid off my bed, and ran downstairs. Like how people might be trapped in their own bodies after they die. Going quietly insane underneath the ground.

Stop being so melodramatic.

I paused the memory. Oh, please forgive me, brother, who can actually see something other than darkness.

He snorted. Because I can just see with perfect clarity over here.

Comparatively, yes. I don't even know if it's day or night.

You don't need to. You've got the story of your life to watch.

But do they? How many souls are out there? How many people are buried? No light, no time. Nothing.

So, what? You figure this all out, somehow, and then what? Tell the world? How?

We'll cross that bridge-

I'm sure we will...

I started the memory, and watched myself walk downstairs, and get into the back seat of a car driven by Eleanor. We drove along the coast for a while, before arriving at a town. We turned down several tight streets, before pulling into Aunt Rosia's driveway.

She was sitting on her steps, sipping a steaming mug, and smiling. The house was bare, and filled with boxes. We helped her unpack a few things, find sheets for her bed, then we left.

I took a mental note of the address, and nearby landmarks.

I sighed. Lionel?

No response.

Lionel. I've got Aunt Rosia's address. She's in the same town as those little flecks of Jess's body.  This woman might have the answers.

Silence.

Can you just tell Jess? Please.

A pause.  Done. Anything else?

That's it.

He hummed. Farewell.