Chapter 4; Loki?..

Revised April 2015

The helicopter landed in the car park and we all jumped out. I looked around at all of the evacuating agents.
"How bad is it?" Fury questioned Coulson.

"That's the problem sir, we don't know." Coulson replied.
"Well that's convenient." I muttered.
"I know." Maria whispered with a grin. We followed Fury and Coulson down many hallways. Not once did they stop talking about the Tesseract.

"Welcome to my world." Maria said to me when she saw me looking at them confused. "He's always like this, you just never see it."
"Oh." I mumbled as we walked into a large lift, it shot downwards.

"Doctor Selvig ran a test four hours ago." Coulson explained.
"Was it an unauthorised test." Fury questioned.
"That's the this, he wasn't even in the room." Coulson
"It just turned its self on?" Maria asked.
"What are the energy levels now?"
"Well, because we couldn't shut it down we started evac." Coulson did his best to keep cool.

"How long till every one is out?" I asked
"Not sure, about half an hour." he replied.
"Do better."

✩★✩

"Sir, evacuation may not work." I said after a while. Maria almost tripped on the stair behind me, surprise by my sudden out burst to authority.

"Then should we tell them to go back to sleep?" Fury demanded.
"If we cant control the Tesseract's energy, then there may not be a minimum safe distance." Maria said finally after making the decision to back to up my argument.

"I need you to make sure the phase two prototypes are shipped out." Ordered Fury, totally ignoring Maria's comment.
"Sir. Is that really a priority right now?" I questioned. I knew I was dancing on a thin line.

"Until such a time that the world ends we will act as though it intends to spin on." he replied. "Clear out the Tec below, every piece of phase two I want gone."
"Yes sir." we both mumbled.
"Ashlin, you're with me." he added Maria looked at me, I shrugged my shoulders.

"You two, with me." she said as she walked away followed by to agents. I followed Fury for a while until we enter a larger room.
"Talk to me Doctor." Fury demanded to Selvig. I got distracted when they started to talk sciency. I only noticed Clint was there when a lady told Selvig that the energy was spiking again. I caught up to Clint and Fury, still not listening when bright blue energy shot out of the Tesseract, lighting up the room. It happened in seconds that when the energy moved back into the cube, a man was kneeling where the energy had once been.

Some agents with guns started to advance towards him. He slowly stood up, using the sceptre. When he looked up I felt like another jigsaw piece had just fallen into place.

I reconised this man wearing green. With his straight black hair and green eyes. He looked around at all the people in the room. His gaze landed on me. His expression was a mix of emotions. The only one I could read was confusion. He stood looking at me for a while until Fury interrupted him.

"Sir, please put down the spear." Fury ordered. The man looked at the sceptre in his hand then back at Fury.

Then he shoot.

I pushed Fury out of the line of fire. But I didn't get so lucky. The shot hit my side, throwing me back. I hit one of the walls, the air knocked out of my lungs, all energy seemed to leave my arms and legs. I could hear the SHIELD agents firing at him. But one by one I heard them fall. Pushing myself up from the ground I looked over at where the man stood. He walked over to Clint.

"Clint." I shouted. The man turned his head to face me. Then he looked back at Clint, pressing the tip his sceptre to where Clint's heart was, Clint's position relaxed.
"No, Clint." I shouted again. Clint lowered his gun, and placed it back in the pouch at his leg. His eyes where a creamy colour, not their usual sharp blue.

"You will pay for that." I spat at the man as he changed another one of the men, then Selvig.
"Oh really?" asked the man. "And what are you going to do? Your powers was taken from you. Don't you remember? Ashlin." My name came out in a hiss. The realisation that he knew it hurt more than his tone.

"How do you know my name?" I spat hotly, my anger getting the better of me.
"You really don't remember do you?" the man asked, sympathetically.
"What is there to remember Loki?" I questioned.
"Loki?" asked Fury "Loki, brother of Thor?"

"So what are you going to do?" Loki smirked, totally ignoring Fury's question. Just them Fury closed the case with the Tesseract in it and stood up.
"Don't." Loki warned. "I still need that."
"This doesn't have to get messy." Fury responded.
"Oh, but I have come to far for anything else." Loki replied "I come with glade tidings, a world made free."
"Free of what?" asked Fury
"Freedom." I raised an eyebrow at his response.

"Freedom is life's great lie." Loki explained turning to look at me. "And once you except that in your heart, you will know peace."
"Yeah, you say peace, I think you mean the opposite." responded Fury drawing Loki's attention from me.
"Sir, Director Fury is stalling." Clint announced.
"Well then."

Bang! The sound of a gun shot rung through the building as Fury hit the ground hard.

"That's it." I hissed. Loki turned to face me. I let go of the lead, the tie holding me. Controlling my powers. A circle of gold energy shot out from around me. It missed Fury but went straight towards Loki. He held up his sceptre creating a blue force field.

"Impressive." Loki smirked. "But not good enough." I ran up to the wounded Fury.
"Go." he ordered "Warn Hill, stop them."
"Yes sir." I responded as I ran out of the room.