He blew the whistle and we were off. I jogged the first lap. I passed by the new kid and saw him bent over, panting. I stopped and turned back around. What are you doing, Calum? No time for that. Let him be. He's not important. But I didn't listen. I went up to him. "Hey, are you okay?" I asked, wondering if I should put a hand on his shoulder or help him.

His ice blue eyes looked up at me from behind his glasses. He stood straight and I noticed how short he was. I wanted to laugh but he could think I was making fun of him, which I didn't want to do. He nodded his head, hands clenched. I turned back around and kept running.

What was the point of that? You probably just freaked him out.

******

I was in last block, taking notes and checking the clock every minute. Finally, the bell rang and I grabbed my things and left the classroom. I went to my locker and gathered my things. Nick came up to me, leaning against the locker beside me. "You going to practice today?" He asked.

I stopped and looked over at him. "What?"

He smiled. "We have football practice today. Coach said it earlier in gym class. Starts at 4."

I let out a loud groan. "Dammit, I gotta go to work. But if I miss the first day of practice then coach is gonna kill me." What am I gonna do? I need the money but I love football practice.

"I could make up an excuse for you. Say, you have bad diarrhea or something." He laughed and I punched him lightly on his arm. "Just kidding. But seriously, I could make up an excuse."

"Nah, I'll go. I'm just going to have to work a double Saturday." I shut my locker and grabbed my phone from my pocket.

"But the party is Saturday." He said, pouting.

"Then I guess I won't go. Problem solved." I said, walking off. He followed behind me.

"You going to your house?" He asked, dropping the whole party thing.

"Yeah, wanna come? I'm almost positive my dad won't be home." I said, walking to my car.

"Sure." He said. I unlocked my car and he got in the passenger seat and I walked around the other side and got in the drivers side. "Pass the aux cord." He said, hand out.

I started the car and handed him the cord. He plugged it up and put on some rap music. I didn't pay much attention, though.

I drove to my house and guess what? He wasn't there. I went ahead and turned the car off and we went inside for a little snack. We sat down at the island, eating apples. "Hey, Calum?" He asked.

I looked over at him. "What?" He was turning the apple over in his hand, scanning it.

"I may have found a right apartment for you." He said, taking another bite out of the apple.

I perked up. "Really? Where?"

"Well, I saw it on the big posting board the have at school, in the hallway. It said something about a roommate and apartments."

"You don't happen to know where at, do you?" I asked, leaning in a little closer. Maybe this could be it. I won't be able to get enough money for my own apartment but maybe a roommate will do.

"All school." He said.

"I mean the address of the apartment, dumbass." I swear, he could be so slow sometimes.

"Oh... No." He stood and threw his apple in the garbage.

I sighed, annoyed. "Well, I'll check it out tomorrow. Maybe this is it, Nick. Maybe I can finally move out." I said, smile forming on my face. I know I promised my mother that I would watch him but I just can't anymore. There's so much stress and pressure and I can't take it all. But of course I didn't tell anyone or let anyone see how weak I was on the inside. And anyways, I will check up on him.

And as soon as I smiled, it dropped when the door opened. I didn't even hear his car pull up. He looked over at me and Nick. "Oh, you brought your gay friend." He said, slamming the door and heading for the stairs.

Nick dropped his head and backed away from him, not saying anything. I grabbed his arm and dragged him with me. "I'll be back later. I have football practice." I said, shoving Nick outside before he could say another thing about him. I didn't appreciate him making fun of my friend or using the word 'gay' near me.

"Don't come back." He whispered as he walked up the stairs. I held back the urge to make a snarky comeback and just shut the door.

"I'm sorry, Nick. I didn't think he was gonna be home for awhile." I said as we got back in the car.

"It's fine. It just startled me a bit. Bringing back some bad memories." He said, head bent down. I reached over and grabbed his hand.

"I'm really sorry. I won't bring you back." I said. He squeezed my hand and let go. I pulled my hand back and started the car.

"It's fine, really. Let's just go." He said, taking in a deep breath. We got the school and headed down to the field with a few other people that were waiting on us.

******

After practice, I said bye to Nick and drove home. Practice was so refreshing and I loved it. I rolled the windows down and turned up the music. I felt so energized right now. I didn't want to go home but I had to finish my homework.

Not only practice made my day. The whole thing about the ad that someone put up for the roommate thing made my day. I just need to know if it was a guy or girl or if they would let me stay. Please let this be it. Please.

I never really begged for something but this was something that I needed more than anything. I pulled into the driveway and got out. He was still here so I had to be quiet. I locked my car and opened the door and he was in the living room, eating a bowl of cereal on the couch. He didn't bother to look back at me.

I ran up the stairs before he could say something and closed my door. I need to figure out what kind of dog I was going to get. Maybe a lab or golden retriever. I want a big dog. I sat down on my bed and pulled up my backpack, taking out my homework. I tried focusing but i just couldn't. I filled in random things and put it back in my backpack. I  think this was the first time ever that I've been this excited to go to school.

I brushed my teeth and changed my clothes and climbed into bed. I turned off my nightstand lamp and fell right to sleep.

*******