Chapter 3: Suspicions

"Ah!" Shikamaru halted his steps, causing Naruto and Sasuke to turn back and looked at him confused.

"What's the matter Shika?" Naruto asked, his eyebrows raised questioningly.

"This...I almost forgot about my dad...our chakra control is a mess, for one. I can hardly mask my chakra properly, for two. With our large chakra reserves that we brought from the future...my dad will notice," Shikamaru realized too late. Naruto hummed thoughtfully as he resumed walking towards the Nara compound. Shikamaru and Sasuke following suit closely behind.

"Well, Shikaku-san is definitely as smart as, I mean almost as smart as you, Shika. I have actually considered telling him and Old Man everything since the beginning. But refrained due to various reasons," Naruto stopped and glanced at Shikamaru over his shoulders.

"But I want to hear what you two think, especially from you Shika. He is your father after all," said Naruto as he turned around and face Shikamaru completely.

"In my opinion, with our chakra alone is enough to invite suspicions not only from Shikaku-sama, but other Jounins as well, not forgetting Lord Third. However, it is best if we just keep quiet about things for as long as possible. First, they don't know us well enough as they did in the future. It is hard to determine where their loyalties will lie. I doubt they will readily listen to Naruto because to them, Lord Third is their hokage. I don't want our plans to have uncertain factors that will jeopardize our mission. We should divert the subject if questions come up, until we can no longer hide the truth," Sasuke analysed as he tapped his chin in thought looking down intently at the ground. Sasuke looked up and could only sweatdropped. Naruto was having that wide grin on his face while Shikamaru was blinking owlishly at him, his eyes widen slightly.

"...what? And why are you always smiling at me, dobe?" Sasuke asked, puzzled by their reactions.

"Because, Suke! You speaks more now! I am just happy! Believe it!" Naruto exclaimed with a closed eye smile. Shikamaru smirked.

"...Hnn," grunted Sasuke but you could subtly see his lips curved in a small smile. Shikamaru continued to shake his head, amused by the interaction.

"Oi, Shikamaru!" a familiar voice called out. The three time travellers turned towards the voice. Shikamaru gulped. His eyes darted around in frenzy, not really prepared to see his dead best friend, alive and kicking again.

Akimichi Chouji. That was the owner of the voice that called out to him.

Various emotions flashed in Shikamaru's eyes for a moment before he was snapped out of his trance forcefully by a jab at his ribs, courtesy of a certain Uchiha. Naruto and Sasuke themselves were slightly stiff to meet one of the konoha 12. They knew they will be meeting them again in this timeline, but the images of their deaths kept playing in their minds, causing them grief and regret. They hardened their resolve once more. Right now, at this time, they are alive. And they want to keep them alive from now on too.

"H...Hey, Chouji. What's up?" Shikamaru greeted. Naruto and Sasuke simply nodded acknowledging him.

"Oh! It's Naruto-kun and Sasuke-kun," Chouji tilted his head to the side, paused in thought for a moment, took a handful from his bag of chips and stuffed them in his mouth. He hummed. Shikamaru, Sasuke and Naruto could only look at him, frozen at their spot. They waited for Chouji to say something. Oddly, they didn't know why...but they waited nonetheless, feeling uncomfortably nervous. Is Chouji being suspicious of them? They couldn't help but thought as such. Then, Chouji smiled gingerly and said,