Chapter 1: Return to the past.

"Tell us more about the Jutsu. What do we need to do? What do we need to know? How about the consequences? There must be a catch for such a dangerous Jutsu that could change history and possibly time paradox," Shikamaru begin to brain. Sasuke nodded, letting them know his thoughts are on the same page.

"You are right, of course," said Naruto as he went into his hokage mode with his Kage voice. Shikamaru and Sasuke immediately and unconsciously straighten.

"First, Kurama will be doing the Jutsu. But we need to establish a base plan. We definitely can't jump into this blind. We can go back as far as our 12 years old selves. Any younger than that then our younger bodies may not be able to handle the strain. Our younger selves would be unable to contain and handle the power, abilities and knowledge we have now," Naruto explained.

"So we get to keep our current powers?" Sasuke asked to be sure. Naruto nodded and Shikamaru scoffed. Naruto and Sasuke glanced at him questioningly. Their eyebrows raised. Shikamaru smirked at this.

"Heh, looks like we will have two 12 years old as the most powerful shinobi in the world," Shikamaru said as he rolled his eyes playfully.

"Shut up," Naruto and Sasuke simultaneously countered as they smirked.

"In any case, what will happen if we ended up younger than 12?" Shikamaru asked as he gulped. He felt uneasy about it.

"Both our current selves and our younger selves will die. We are practically combining with our past selves after all. At the unlikely case that the Jutsu goes awry and that happens then...we will...explode...," Naruto finished. The three ninjas shuddered at the thought.

"In which case that we succeed...," Naruto continues. "In addition to the sudden boost of chakra reserves, our physical abilities will be that of our younger selves. In other words, our chakra control will suck. We will need to train our chakra control and enhance our physical strength the good old fashion way to keep up with our powers and abilities," Naruto summarized still in his hokage mode. His friends groaned at this. It looks that they have to work their way up again. But at least they could have a head start than the previous time.

"How about side effects?" Sasuke asked the dreaded question.

"Right..." Naruto trailed off uncertainly as he rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly.

"Just out with it!" Shikamaru urged. The tension was killing him.

"Well, aside from seeing our dead family and friends alive again...," Naruto trailed off as his mood turned sour and sadness engulfed him. Sasuke and Shikamaru also looked down suddenly finding their feet to be really interesting. Various emotions danced about in their minds. After a moment of heavy silence, the three of them looked at one another, eyes no longer filled with sadness and sorrow, nor is there any regret and remorse, but pure determination.

"We will protect them this time...," it was Sasuke who broke the silence which was unlike him while Naruto grinned as he nodded in assent.

"Believe it!" Naruto shouted.

"Troublesome...," Shikamaru said but his eyes filled with mirth and resolve.

"Anyway, one of the side effect is that our most emotional scars will remain with us. That means...," Naruto trailed off.

"The scars on Naruto's chest and right arm..., also my left arm," Sasuke reminisced.

"It will be a pain to explain those so make sure to hide them properly with bandages or something. Heck, just cast a genjutsu over them as well," Shikamaru helpfully said.

"You need to be careful too, Shika! You are an ANBU level shinobi!" Naruto exclaimed feeling slightly miffed.

"Heh, I can easily cover myself up with being lazy as I am," Shikamaru made a winning smile while Naruto pouted.

"But won't it be suspicious if we suddenly donned bandages over our arms? Won't they have questions?" Sasuke reasoned.

"Yea, but well like I said, cast a genjutsu over them too. Otherwise, you can just shrugged them off and saying that it's to showcase your brotherly bond," Shikamaru smirked as his eyes flashed with a mischievous glint, clearly enjoying teasing his two best friends. Naruto and Sasuke blushed at this.

*Cough Cough* "Alright. Back to business. Ideas Shikamaru?" Naruto said going back into his hokage mode after clearing his throat in slight embarrassment. Sasuke too hides his emerging red cheeks as he too, turned serious.

"Right. Once we return to the past...successfully, let us meet up at Sasuke's Uchiha Compound since no one lives there except for Sasuke. Hokage-sama can put up barrier and silencing seals so we can have privacy and be assured that we won't be disturbed. We will also leave shadow clones as our counterpart to create alibis. Once we meet up, we will know that all of us returned safely and discuss our further plans from there. How far back are we going?" Shikamaru turned to his hokage.

"A week before our graduation exams," Naruto clarified. Shikamaru nodded.

"Plenty of time to make preparations then. Other than training, we also need to act like our younger selves so we won't attract unwanted attention, especially from the Third Hokage, the ROOT, the Council, the ANBU as well as our Jounin sensei. It will be such a drag to explain and I don't think they will easily trust us. Before you know it, they might label us as spies seeing as we know things that 12 years old shouldn't know. Much less the future," Shikamaru sighed.

"I would appreciate it if I don't have to deal with idiot Naruto again, thank you very much," Sasuke said with bitter taste.

"Hey!" Naruto protested.

"It is only until you graduated and become Genin. Naruto can be his oh so awesome self after that. You need to end up on the same team," Shikamaru snickered as he rolled his eyes playfully. Sasuke smirked.

"You two...so mean...," Naruto said as he cried anime tears. After a moment, the three of them couldn't help but laugh. A wide grin decorated their faces. Once they settled down, Naruto gingerly place each of his hand on his best friends' shoulders.

"Are we ready?" Naruto asked. Shikamaru and Sasuke nodded with a soft smile. They are going back and they are going to change things this time. As time passed and things changes, they will eventually lose the advantage of having future knowledge. But nevertheless, they will have the knowledge of the people and their potentials and abilities. As long as they have each other, they believe that they can brace through anything.

"Alright, Kurama! Take us back!" Naruto exclaimed and with that, they disappeared in a flash of blinding light.

End of chapter 1.