Chapter 14 - Dizzy Miss Lizzy 🕒Thursday, November 7th, 1963🕞

Start from the beginning

Cynthia rolled her eyes.

"Girls, don't ever get married, it's one of the biggest mistakes you will ever make." she said, causing us to laugh. "Just try living with him. It's always a zoo!"

Jane looked at Paul and giggled.

"I know what's it's like from keeping this one in line." she said flirtatiously, stroking Paul's face. They looked at me.

"Wendy, it's simply disastrous!" Cynthia said. "Take it from us."

I laughed and locked eyes with George from across the table. We were seated in a circular booth, all facing each other. George grinned at me and I smiled back. Cyn leaned down and whispered in my ear.

"So, how's George? Are you making any progress?"

I nodded.

"A little bit, yes. He's sent me flowers twice this week."

Cyn raised an eyebrow.

"Twice, you say? Awh, bless his heart!"

We looked up at him and giggled, receiving puzzled looks from both he and Ringo.

The waiter returned with the wine and everyone began pouring themselves some. Here we go. I sat awkwardly watching them for a moment, until Cynthia passed me one of the bottles.

"Here you go, love." she said smiling. I felt everyone's eyes on me and I gulped. I was about to pass on it when I figured, why not. Maybe it was the pressures of the day, of being in such an elegant place and wanting to fit in with the others, or perhaps it had been the stress of last night. In the end, I'm not quite sure what had provoked me in the moment, but nevertheless, I picked up my glass and poured some. A little bit of wine wouldn't hurt, right? Jane watched in surprise and George looked intrigued.

"Cheers." I said, raising my glass. Everyone clinked and we drank to the success of the new song. I took a small sip and squinted. It actually wasn't bad. Although I didn't drink, I'd had wine before, so I wasn't unaccustomed to its flavor. I sat quietly to myself as everyone made small talk. The girls tried to include me as best they could, but I knew that there were just too many inside jokes and gossip I couldn't possibly be a part of after just one week. We ordered our meals and I got some kind of Asian cuisine. It looked good on the menu, so I tried to keep an open mind. I sat there, drinking some more wine and trying to appear as posh and elegant as possible. Who knew who was going to walk into a place like this?

Our food came after a while and everyone dug in.

"Look at this." I exclaimed, nudging Jane in the side. "You're gonna have to help me finish it."

She laughed.

"That's why I ordered a small. You learn these things after going to places like this." she said with a wink. I rolled my eyes. Paul probably took her there every night.

I poked around with my fork as I watched George scarf down some kind of chicken dish I'd wished I'd ordered instead of the plate of unknown noodles that lie before me. I took a small bite and quickly reached for the wine. It was much stronger than I expected, not to mention to an inexperienced super-taster and extremely picky eater. I finished my glass and poured myself some more. The wine was beginning to grow on me and I was starting to like it quite a bit. Three glasses later, my head began to spin.

"Where's the ladies room?" I mumbled to Jane. She pointed and I quickly crawled out. I didn't know what was happening, but everything had begun to drastically slow down. I can't remember what happened next, but it was an awful lot like what had happened the first time I passed out. The last thing I remember seeing was Jane before everything went dark.