34. Home

Aya

I wake up on the couch with a pounding headache. I groggily sit up and massage my throbbing temples trying to figure out what could've caused this headache and I slowly start to remember the events of yesterday. I cried myself to sleep...I really need to stop doing that.

I sit up and feel aroundmy body and come across it in my hoody's front pocket. I press the power button and the screen comes to life almost blinding Me with its brightness. I quickly lower the brightness and then check the time. 3:30 am...I also see a notification for a new text messages and I open it, expecting it to be work related.

Nathi: Let's talk...

I re-read it ten times to verify that I'm reading the sender's name correctly. Let's talk...he wants to talk! He wants to talk to me! My lips slowly spread into a big smile and a sob of happiness escapes my lips along with happy tears. I was convinced that I'd lost him forever yesterday and it was the greatest loss I've ever experienced. I don't want to feel that ever again...

Me: Yes please! Should I come over later?

I eagerly respond and pocket my phone, not expecting a response now and head upstairs to get painkillers from the bathroom medicine cabinet. As I tip my head back to swallow the two aspirin tablets and water in my mouth I feel a buzzing sensation against my belly. I swallow quickly and fish my phone out of my pocket and see another text message notification. That was quick.

Nathi: Yea, pick me up around 4
Me: Ok! Thank you!
Nathi: What you thanking me for?
Me: For talking to me again...you know I'm sorry right?
Nathi: I know :)

*
*
*

3:45pm...I double check the time on my phone not wanting to be late for our reunion. I check my reflection for the last time before heading out. I'm wearing a white lacey crop top with a white bralette and a black chiffon maxi skirt with a thigh-high slit. I have my hair down in red faux locks and my make up is light with just eyeliner, mascara, eyebrows and nude lipgloss.

I zip down to Nathi's house which is only ten minutes away. I park outside and sit in my car, collecting my thoughts for the remaining three minutes. Is he going to forgive me? Is he going to tell me he never wants to see me again? Is this the end? I nervously bite my thumb as a million questions swirl around my mind.

*knock knock knock*

I'm startled out of my thought overload my Nathi knocking on the passenger window, pointing for me to unlock the door. I scramble to do so, my nerves making me clumsy and I keep over-pressing the button, relocking the car. Damn it Aya! Get it together! I finally press the button once and the locks ping open and Nathi slides in.

"H-hi" I nervously stutter out a greeting. Wow...It's so weird talking to him after 6 months.

"Hey." He replies with a small smile and takes a hold of my shaking hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. This is real!

"Where to?" I ask softly.

"Our spot."

*
*
*

I pull up to the best parking spot on Merchant Hill and Nathi quickly jumps out of the spot and comes over to open my door. Such a gentleman! He offers me his hand, helping me out of the car and leads me to the front of the car where he lifts me up so I'm sitting on the hood. Wow. Nathi takes a seat next to me and takes my hand, rubbing his thumb over my knuckles soothingly. We sit in comfortable silence, taking in the breathtaking view of the city below us and I lay my head on his shoulder in content. I missed us.

"I'm sorry." Nathi whispers and kisses the top of my head.

"Wait what? Why are you sorry? I'm the one who fucked up." I sit up so we're face to face and give him a sad smile. Nathi reaches out to wipe a stray tear I didn't know had escaped.

"I'm sorry because I took you for granted. You've always been here for me. When D-Diana d-died you helped put me back together again and all I repaid you by flaunting trashy girls in front of you." He gets choked up and then clears his throat to continue. He takes my hands in his and looks deeply into my eyes. "Baby girl I'm sorry I wasn't the man you deserved and I forgive you." He lifts up our hands and kisses my palms.

I'm taken aback at how this is playing out and a happy sob bursts out my lips. I laugh happily with tears streaming down my face and pull Nathi into a warm hug.

"Baby thank you for your forgiveness. I'm so sorry I hurt you and I will never ever do it again! Raphael was just a distraction, he gave me the attention I always wanted from you and when you both gave it to me I got greedy. But now I know what I have and I will never stray again!" I hold Nathi tightly as I speak, wanting him to feel my love.

We embrace for the longest time, just enjoying being in each others arms and I believe this embrace brought us all the healing we needed. We finally pull apart and we lay back on the windscreen watching the sun set.

Nathi pulls me close and trails baby down my face and finally stops just above my lips. We stay frozen like that, our breaths mingling and eyes talking. I love you. I close the gap between us and kiss him with all the love and passion in my soul.

Nathi is the one...

We kiss passionately as the stars start to litter the sky and I know in my heart that this is who I am destined to be with. Being in his arms feels right, it feels like home. I decide to share the last piece of myself with Nathi and we make love under the stars. I feel happy. Complete.

I am home.