22. Redeemer

Aya

(Chris Isaak - Wicked Game)

What a wicked game you play to make me feel this way.

What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.

What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.

What a wicked thing to do to make me dream of you

I turn my head to the left to look at the time on my bedside clock and my cheek comes into contact with my cold wet pillow. Must've cried myself to sleep...again.

This has been my routine for the past two weeks. I've hardly left my room other than to go to the bathroom and occasionally eat meals with my family so they don't have me committed. Not that I'm not crazy...

I had no idea that heartbreak could hurt so bad not just emotionally but physically too. Just the thought of he who shall not be named sends a sharp pain through my chest and I'm left a hyperventilating sobbing mess.

Thank God for the renovation being over cause I wouldn't survive seeing them, together again. I knew deep down from the beginning that he couldn't possibly fall in love with me. But like a moth to a flame I couldn't help but be drawn in, wanting to believe in the fairytale and then reality came blazing in and burnt my wings to ash. I will NEVER make that mistake again...

*buzz buzz buzz*

I hear my phone vibrate on the nightstand and I look over to see who it is. His name flashes across the screen. Why won't you leave me alone?! This is the fortieth call he's made and I'm sure once I ignore it he will continue to blow up my phone with the hundredth text. I haven't read any of them or listened to his stupid voicemails. I don't want to hear any of his lies.

*buzz buzz buzz*

Oh for fucks sake! I pick up my phone, about to hurl it at the wall when I see Nathi's name flash across the screen. I debate whether to answer or not. I didn't mean to ignore him all this time but I really just wanted to be alone. I decide I'm not ready and turn my phone off, going back to hibernating under the covers.

*knock knock knock*

Can't get a moment of fucking peace! I grumble internally and reluctantly respond. "Y-yes?"

"Oh so you're still alive?" A familiar voice comes through the door.

******************************************************************************

Nathi

Damn it! I slam my palm against the steering wheel of our car as Aya's phone goes to voicemail again. I can't believe she's shut me out, punishing me for that douchebags sins. I guess I deserve it. If I had manned up and claimed her, he wouldn't have had the chance to break her heart. Aya got hurt because I was a coward. I'll never forgive myself for that. I know I can't erase what happened but I will put her heart back together again. I owe it to her...

I kind of predicted that she wouldn't answer her phone so I drove to her house to talk to her come hell or high water! I get out of the car and I use my "emergency" key to get into her house. I take the stairs two at a time and taking a steadying breath before I knock on her door.

*knock knock knock*

Silence.

"Y-yes?" Aya's faint voice comes through the door.

Thank God! Play it cool...

"Oh so you're still alive?" I playfully respond as I open her door.

"Nathi? What are you doing here?" Her groggy voice comes from under a heap of blankets.

"I'm here to bring you back into civilisation." I say, opening her curtains and uncovering her upper body from beneath the sheets.

"NO! Stop it!" She shouts at me, desperately trying to pull the covers back.

"Come on! It's time to rise and shine!" I jump on her bed, straddling her and I go to work tickling her torso.

Aya laughs uncontrollably squirming beneath my hands. "Mercy! Mercy! Nathi please!" She begs.

"You promise to come outside with me if I stop?" I pin her arms to her sides and lean down so we're nose to nose.

"Yes yes! Anything you want." Aya speaks breathlessly.

"Great! Meet me downstairs in 15 minutes." I peck her nose and get off of her, heading downstairs.

*

*

*

"I told you I'd kick your ass! Time to pay up!" Aya does her silly happy dance after she beats me at our third game of bowling.

"Yea yea yea." I roll my eyes at her. The girl is ridiculously good that's why I brought her to the arcade. I knew winning would cheer her up.

"Let's go get you your double scoop of death by chocolate." I take a hold of her hand and we walk to the ice cream shop.

I get her sickly sweet treat and get myself a French vanilla scoop. I don't have much of a sweet tooth but I can't let her eat alone, my mom would scold the black off my face.

We walk outside to the park in comfortable silence, hand in hand. I can't remember the last time I was this content in another person's company. I spot a bench and guide us to it. I take a seat and pull Aya down next to me.

Time to man up...I give myself a final pep talk before I pour my heart out to the woman I love.

"So did you have fun?"

"Yes! Thank you for taking me out. I needed it." She smiles at me, genuinely happy.

"Good...Good. So I uh wanted to talk to you about something." I start nervously.

"Yea? What's up?"

"So I...The thing is...We have..." Damn it! I sound like a tongue twisted idiot!

"Hey. You can tell me anything." Aya places her hand on my knee giving it a reassuring squeeze.

I take a deep breath and just blurt it out. "I love you."

"Aww I love you too buddy."

"No I mean I'm in love with you."

"Wh-what." Aya looks at me wide eyed.

"I know this is unexpected and a little too soon but I just wanted to let you know how I feel. I don't want to make the mistake of not telling you again and leaving you vulnerable to players." I rattle off.

"I have loved you since we were kids. It took me a while to realise that I was in love with you but once I did I couldn't stay away. The fear of losing you is what kept me quiet all these years but I realise that my silence does more harm than good. I am hopelessly in love with you Aya Mbeki and I will wait for you fo-"

I'm cut off by her lips on mine. It takes a minute for my mind to process what's happening. Once I do, I pull her into my arms and kiss her with all the love in my heart.

With this kiss I promise to be her heart,s redeemer, nurturer and protector.