OBSESSION II - A changing world

Start from the beginning

I ran towards the hallway to answer the phone. It was an unknown number.

"Hello!" I quickly said.

"Bonjour! Mademoiselle Emma Shane?" said the voice from the other side of the line.

"Oui c'est moi!" I quickly answered.

"I am Jacques DuPont" he said with a thick French accent.

"I called you because I wanted to know if you received our letter" he continued.

"Yes, Mr. DuPont. I already received your letter and my brother, Matthew, told me that you talked with him yesterday. I would like to thank you for the opportunity you offered me," I quickly added.

"It was our pleasure mademoiselle. To find such a talent is rare in our days!" he said.

"You flatter me, Mr. DuPont. Thank you!" I said blushing. I was just glad that he wasn't in front of me to see my embarrassment. I wasn't so good at receiving compliments.

"I would like to know if you are coming on 23th July and do you want us to prepare something for you?"

"Yes, I will come Friday. I already have the ticket you sent for me. Thank you but I don't need anything else," I stated.

"Do you need us to organize the transportation for your paintings? And how many are there?"

"Well, I currently have 58 paintings in my possession. There were 22 other paintings, but I already sold them and I don't know their location. About the transportation, I will make the legal documents for the airplane transportation, so you don't have to worry about this".

"We will pay for the transportation, mademoiselle," he hopefully said.

"No, that's not necessary. I will pay for the transportation of my paintings. You really don't need to worry about this!" I finally stated with confidence.

"All right, then two of my colleagues will be waiting for you at the airport on 23th July and we will talk the details of the event when you get here if that's ok," he said with the same French accent.

"That's perfect. Thank you very much again! And see you there on 23th!" I said with a cheerful voice.

"C'est tres bien! I can't wait to finally meet you, mademoiselle!" he said with an anxious voice.

"Me too Mr. DuPont!" I quickly answered.

"Au revoir mademoiselle! We are eagerly waiting your arrival!"

"Au revoir monsieur DuPont! It was a real pleasure to talk with you!" I finally said, hanging up the phone.

"So?" Matthew asked, wanting to know the details.

"Not much! I'm just getting ready to leave to France. Today is already 20 July and I have to prepare my luggage, to buy a few things and talk at the airport for the transportation of my paintings. I have a lot of things to do and I don't think I have enough time," I informed Matthew with a worried tone of voice.

"Relax! I'll arrange the transportation for your paintings at the airport, you can do the shopping for what you need and mom will make your luggage, so don't worry!" Matthew commented, kissing the side of my head again.

"Thanks! What would I do without you?" I asked.

"You would be going out with a guy!" he said laughing.

"That's not funny, Matthew!" I said looking angrily towards him, which made him laugh even louder.

The next three days passed in a blur. I was so busy that I didn't have time to paint anymore, before leaving to Paris. That was kind of frustrating on one hand, but on the other hand I was too happy and busy to even think about this.

The flight was at 9:00 o'clock in the morning, so it was very difficult for me to get up in order to be at the airport with at least two hours before the flight. I never was a morning person, but the event and everything made me feel really anxious. I almost couldn't sleep during the entire night.

Because I never liked saying goodbye to my family, we decided that only Matthew could take me to the airport.

Matthew took my luggage, while mom, dad and Brian were already downstairs waiting for me. They were really sad and I was too. I'm going to miss them very much. I never was away from them and to some extend I even liked being near my family. The only thing which made me often argue with them was the fact that I liked to be a solitary person and they never respected that. Only Matthew supported me and understood me the best. But now, thinking that I won't be seeing them for the next month made me kind of sad. I will surely miss them.

"Oh, dear, please be careful and call us when you get there, okay?" my mom said with a worried voice while hugging me.

"I will! I promise!" I quickly answered.

"Take care my dear and call us if anything goes wrong and we will come for you!" dad seriously informed me while hugging me protectively.

"Don't worry, everything will be just fine!" I said to him with a husky voice, feeling a little uneasy.

Despite my feelings I was a strong person, so I promised myself that I would do everything in my power to make my childhood dream come true.

"Be careful and if you find a nice guy bring him back with you so we can meet him too!" Brian said, teasing me in his usual way once more.

"Brian!?! Come on! Be serious! I'm going there with a business purpose, not to find a guy," I said with a fake annoyed expression on my face.

"Whatever!" he said smirking, making me roll my eyes.

"See you soon!" I finally said before getting inside Matthew's car, a black Ford Mustang.

In less than half an hour we were already at the airport, preparing for the check in. Matthew stayed with me until the check in opened. That's when he hugged me tightly against his chest, kissing my forehead with so much love like it was the last time we were going to see each other.

I tried to reach his neck, which was pretty difficult, considering the fact that he is much taller than me, and I kissed his cheek.

"Please be safe and take care of dad, mom and Brian for me, ok?" I said with sadness.

"Come on, Emma, it's just a month! You don't have to worry about anything, ok?" he said looking at me with a worried expression.

"Ok! That's all I wanted to hear!" I whispered making him even more worried.

"Emma, if you don't want to go, then..." he began, but I knew that this was my dream we were talking about. This was my chance to become famous and I couldn't say no. Not this time.

"I can't stay home, Matthew. This is all I ever wanted. I can't give up now!" I finally said with hope in my words.

"Then get your butt in that damn airplane, girly!" he said teasing me again in an attempt to make me laugh. And it worked, because I laughed all the way towards the airplane.