Chapter 2

Annabelle sat in the waiting room of the doctor's office the same chair that she had sat when Xavier would come with her and held her stomach tight but not too tight because if she was right that was bad to do, her other hand was tapping on the clipboard they had asked her to hold on to. She felt like her heart stopped when she was sitting in a meeting with some of the lawyers who worked in her firm "Annabelle's" and her whole lunch just got shot into the trashcan sitting next to her office for the hundredth time in the last week. She immediately looked towards Xavier's building, which was across from hers. They had built her bulging across from hers and her side window looked to his side window. When they had a quiet moment, which was rare, or a long meeting they would look up and wave at each other when they were ok but now the office had been in darkness for three weeks and she had only spoken to him once.

"Mrs. Lucado?" the nurse walked out with a big smile.

Annabelle smiled and walked up to her. "That's me?"

As she followed the nurse into the room, after her vitals were checked, she sat in the chair waiting for the doctor to come in and she could not help but she started to cry as she thought about her last call to Xavier.

"Hello thank you for calling Mr. Lucado's office, how can I help you?"

"May I speak to Xavier please Jillian?"

"Mrs. Lucado... I mean Mrs. Annabelle, he is at a dinner with someone."

"Who?" Annabelle felt as if her world was shattering all over again.

"Mrs. Annabelle, I believe he is... he is on a date..."

"Look just please tell him that I need to talk to him please... ask him to call me."

....

"Annabelle what is it?" Xavier was worried about her the moment he heard she called the office he felt bad for not being there to answer her.

"Xavier?" Annabelle felt groggy and looked over at the clock on her nightstand it said 3 in the morning.

"Hey are you ok? They told me you called and I just wanted to make sure you're ok and I... stay over there Elizabeth you can get anything to drink from that stand there is wine... ok hold on wait... give me a second Annabelle... Elizabeth s..."

"Did you call me while there is another woman in the house? Oh God... I... how can you do..." she felt herself start to hyperventilate.

"Annabelle wait... No Annabelle let me..."

"No! I don't know what I did to you to deserve something like this...I never hurt you in the opposite I tried my best for you and... my goal was to make you happy and I did a good job. I do not understand what happened... just... leave me alone I never want to talk to you ever again." She hung up her phone and cried into her pillow. He called her over and over again but she let all the calls go to voicemail.

"Mrs. Lucero..." the doctor walked in with a big smile.

"Hi Dr. Reyes" Annabelle wiped her tears and turned to the doctor. "Am I ok?"

"After six months of trying I would say you are amazing... Annabelle you are pregnant my friend." The doctor was smiling huge at her and looked at her clipboard "you are about a month and you are doing good... we can check you out right now if you are up for it."

Annabelle let out a heart-wrenching sob and held her chest. "Thank you."