“Hi,” I say, holding my bagged lunch.

“You’re a bagger?” she asks.

I nod.

“Same. All this crap is so expensive.” She looks at her nails, which are chipped green. “They literally spend five bucks on cheese fries. Even Dylan and Jasmine. They get frozen yogurt every day.”

I smile. “I hate waiting in line.”

She nods in agreement.

“Who’s here today?” I ask.

“Well, if you’re already up on the group- Dylan, Jas, Dean, you, I guess, Simon, me.”

“What happened to some of those other guys? Devon, and uh, the others.” 

“Yeah, there are always a few sports players coming in and out.” She smiles. “You’ll get used to it.” She was being a lot friendlier than she was yesterday.

Suddenly an arm was around my shoulder and a whisper in my ear: “hey.”

I look up and meet Simon’s electric green eyes. I blink. “Hi.”

He smiles and laughs, sits down. “Did I scare you?” He asks.

I shake my head and open my bag. “I’m not that easily scared.”

“Well, good.” He squeezes my shoulder and moves his hand away.

Dylan walks up next, looking lean and perfect as usual. She is cooler to Simon than yesterday. All I’ve heard about them is that they’re constantly on and off---one day making out, one day feuding. And yes, I’ve heard it’s usually due to Simon’s philandering- er, cheating on her. But I’m not here to judge him. I’m here to get to him, and then humiliate him.

“Did you see what’s-his-name? Elton Rider?”

“Elk?” I ask and everyone looks at me. “I think that’s what they call him,” I quickly add.

“Yeah…” she flips her hair out of her face and slowly takes a bite of ice cream. “He’s totally hot. But really weird. And today he was wearing that hat…so bizzare.” She looks at me. “Right?”

“Uh, yeah. I guess,” I say slowly.

“He looks like a virgin to me,” Dean says, sitting down next to me, looking me good up and down. And the Look doesn’t escape Jasmine’s eyes. “Totally whipped. Probably gay.”

I chew the inside of my cheek, trying hard not to say anything.

“Who cares? He’s a loser. He knows all the answers to every question in every class because he probably stays home all day and studies. Pathetic,” snorted Jasmine.

Simon looks at me. “Cool it, guys. He seems cool enough.”

I look back at him and he doesn’t smile, just looks at me. I thank him with my eyes. He knows, somehow.

“Whatever. I was just saying he had a stupid hat on,” Dylan says. “It’s not doing him any favors.”

“What do you care?” Simon asks.

“I find losers amusing,” she says and stabs at a piece of chicken on her plate.

“Yeah, well look in the mirror, you’ll have a good laugh,” he mutters.

“What?” she gasps.

Simon starts laughing. “I’m just kidding.”

Dean starts laughing and Jasmine just rolls her eyes as if to say forget it.

But nobody does. You could cut the tension with a steak knife.

I suddenly feel something on my thigh, massaging it. I stiffen and look over, and Dean has a silly smirk on his face. I look at Simon, who doesn’t notice and I can’t very well yell at him with Jasmine right here. I give him a glare and reach for his hand but he quickly moves it away. Completely natural.

I am blushing furiously red. Dean brings his hand near me again and pinches my waist. “Nice,” he mutters under his breath.

I can’t breathe anymore. I bite my lip hard. “I better go.” I quickly stand up. “I have to go.”

“Again?” Dean smirks. I refuse to look at him.

“I’ll see you guys tomorrow.” I practically run out of there. By my locker is James.

“Oh, God, I don’t need this right now,” I say swallowing back tears.

“Don’t cry, you’ll ruin that eyeliner crap you have on your face,” He smirks.

“Please. Go away,” I beg.

“I have something to say.” He leans against the locker.

“What?” I sigh.

“I’m sorry,” he says quickly, looking down. “For today. I was an ass.”

I rock back. “Wow. Are you serious?”

“Course.”

“Well…thanks. That, uh, actually does mean a lot.”

He shrugs. “Wha-“

“Don’t say whatever. I’ve heard that enough today.”

He breaks out into a smile and it hits me what a beautiful smile he has.

I lick my lips. “Are we friends?”

“Hmm, do I want to be friends with the new, hottest girl in school?” He rubs his chin. “I’ll have to think about that one…” He smiles and winks.

I push his shoulder. “Shut up.”

“Alright. I gotta go. See ya.” But he doesn’t leave. He stands there smiling at me. Finally he shakes his head and leaves.

I can’t believe it.

                                                            ***

*** *** ***

Haha hope you guys like this & up next is the party!!! Here comes drama...

xxx