Chapter 8: The Decision

••Jake's POV••

It took me awhile move my feet, I was deep in thought.  Did I really just tell her my deepest secret?  I sighed as I whipped the single tear that fell down my cheek.

"You sure you're okay?"  Lisandra asked, cocking her head to the side.

I coughed, clearing my thoart.  "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Sure, sure."  She turned and when back inside the house.  I looked up at the sky, glazing at the stars, the moon.  Oh how much I missed her...

"Jacob?"

I turned at the sound of my name being called.

"You okay son?"  My dad put his hand on my shoulder.

"Just thinking about mom."  I said.  "I miss her."

"I miss her too."

I glanced at my father.  Even though he's in love with Gloria, he still has feelings for my mother.  Which got me thinking.

"What happened too Lisandra's dad?"

"He's not in the picture."  He shurgged.  "They divorced a couple years ago."

I nodded.

"C'mon, Lisandra has something she wants to tell us.  They're in the living room waiting."

We walked inside and found Gloria with a concerened look on her face, watching Lisandra.

"Floor's all yours."  My dad said.

"I've been thinking."  She took a deep breath.  "I decided to volunteer in being the one to switch school."

My jaw dropped.  She what!?

"Lisandra, you don't have to do that."  My dad protested.

"I want too."  She insisted.

"Lisandra, you sure?"  Gloria cut in.

"Mami, I'm sure."

Gloria sighed.  "Alright."

I stared at Lisandra in bewilderment.

"Don't act so surprised."  She smiled.

"Honestly, Lisandra, you don't have to do that."

"I know, but you need a scholarship and I gotta get my mind off things."

"Lisan-"

"Stop trying to change my mind.  I'm going to your school and that's that."  She crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"Stubborn much?"  I whispered under my breath.

"I heard that."  Lisandra hissed.  "And yes, yes I am."

I chuckled.  "Alright then..  What now?"

"Looks like we'll be taking a trip to the school tomorrow."  Gloria said, keeping a close eye on Lisandra.  "Are you sure Lisandra?"

"I need to get over it Ma, I'm sure."  She looked down at the ground, hiding behind her hair.

Gloria sighed. "Alright, I'll call the school up tomorrow, let them know that you will be attending."

I sat in my room, staring up at the ceiling.  Ever since Lisandra said she was switching school, I got to thinking.  What the hell did she mean she needed to get her mind off things.  What things?  What the hell happened to her?  She may think that she hiding her pain well, but she's not.  I can see right through her.  She's hurting, bad.

I woke up to the sound of my bedroom door open.  I rolled over, rubbing my eyes.  I picked up my phone, checking the time.  Six-thirty.

"Shit!"  I exclaimed, jumping out of bed.

"Bad word, Jake."  Sam said.

"I know, sorry.  I woke up late."  I ran around my room, grabbing my pads and sticking them in my NIKE bag.  Where the hell was my mouth piece!?  I searched around my deck, picking up the things that I needed as I went.

"Your mouth piece is on the bathroom counter."  Sam said, taking a seat on my bed.

Nodding, I ran to the bathroom.  I brushed my teeth and grabbed my mouth piece before heading back to my room and slipping on my gear, minus the pads and cleats obviously.  Grabbing my helmet, I put it in my bag and made a grab for my keys before catching the hat Sam threw my way.

"Thanks."  I ran out the room and into the kitchen.  Walking up to the fridge, I reached in and grabbed two bottled water before reaching in our pantry and grabbing a couple of protein bars.

"I'll be back after conditioning!"  I called and ran out to the car.

"Smith!  You're late!"  Coach Carter exclaimed, though I knew he wasn't really mad.  I didn't need to be here for conditioning, I just came to help out the freshmen, community serves hours.

"Sorry coach.  Won't happen again."  I said, laying my stuff down on the bench.

"Damn right it won't, get your ass of the field and lead the drills."  He instructed.  I laughed quietly to myself.  He wasn't a mean guy, he was actually really cool.  He only acted like to intimate the underclass men.

"Alright ladies!  Let's start with a nice jog around the field and then dive right into burpees finishing up with 40-50!"  I yelled, taking the lead in the front.  What a fun Monday.

"Four Corners Drill!"  Coach Carter yelled.  They all groaned but did them anyways.  It was already noon, the sun was at its highest.  The freshmen were having trouble keeping up, not used to Coach Carter's long drills.  After a couple of minutes, we were done.  I jogged back to the bench, grabbing my water bottled.

"Dude, how.. Are you not..  Winded?"  A freshmen asked, I think his name was Brian.

I laughed.  "I've been with Coach Carter for a couple of years now.  You get used to it."

"I don't think I... Ever will."  He said, taking a seat on the ground, chugging his water.

I patted him on the shoulder.  "You will, just keep it up.  It gets easier."  I reached in my bag and pulled out my community service paper and headed to Coach who was out on the filed with a group of guys.

"Hey, Coach, sorry to interrupt.  But can you sighed my CS paper?"  I  handed it to him, while looking at the group of kids he was talking to.  One of them looking familiar.  James.

"Jacob, I hear you're moving schools."  Coach said, looking at me with sad eyes.

"Thought I was, but I'm not.  I'm here to stay."  I answered, my eyes never leaving James' face.

"Oh thank god."  Coach exclaimed.

I smirked.  "You're only keeping me here so you can collect the Companionship rings."

"Only half true."  He says as he hands me back my paper.  "Don't be late tomorrow."

"Wouldn't dream of it."  I answered, before walking away.  What the hell was James doing here?  Did he even play football?

Shaking my head, I grabbed my stuff from the bench, saying a goodbye to the guys and heading to my car.

As soon as I got home, I went straight into the shower.  Nobody was home so I figured they had to be at Gloria's.  I let the hot water hit me on my face and soak my body, relaxing.  I was applying soap when my phone went off.  Groaning in annoyance, I reached out and grabbed my phone.  Without checking the caller ID, I answered.

What a mistake.

A/N: I got a little bit of writers block at the end, I may redo it... Eh, we'll see.  Until the next upload my friends :P