Chapter 4: Good News Turned Bad

••Jake's POV••

Who the hell was this kid?

Yeah, they're not dating.  Does it look like I'm blind?  He obviously has feelings for her.

My face harden when I heard her bedroom door closed.

Calm down Jake.

She's not yours, who cares what she does.. Or who she does it with.

I closed my eyes to calm down.  When I opened my eyes, I stared at one of the paintings.  You could tell where her brushed glided across the portrait.  The colors blended so well, telling a story.  I couldn't figure out what it was, but it was there. Something happened to her.  Something bad.

"Jacob!  Samantha!"  My dad called.

"Lisandra!  Jake!"  Gloria called.

Samantha ran out, leaving me in alone.  I couldn't tear my eyes from the painting.

I only looked away when I heard the bedroom door open.

"Why'd you say that!?"  James demanded.

"I don't know, he has me tongue-tied."  She answered.

I walked over.  "Sorry I give you that influence."  I walked past them, and down the stairs.  Her face was priceless.  You could tell she thought I had already left the second floor.  But, no, I didn't.

I smiled to myself.  I made her "tongue-tied".

"What are you smiling at?"  Samantha asked.

"Nothing."  I looked at my dad.  "What's going on?"

"You already know, it's Lisandra we have to tell."

I nodded, taking a seat on the couch.

"What's going on?"  Lisandra asked.  Her face was still flushed.

"Lisandra, I have some good news.. And some bad news."  Her mother said.

"What is it?  What's wrong? What happened?"  She demanded.

"Oh, nothing terrible.  Just..  We're moving."

She froze.  "What?"

"We're moving out of here.  Mart's moving out of the house with the kids and we're all moving in together."

She took it all in, misdoing slowly.  "Let me guess, you're moving up the wedding."

She was smart.

"Yes we are.  Is that alright with you?"  Gloria asked.

Lisandra glanced at me and looked quickly away.  She sighed, but quickly hide it with a smile.  She was good.  "Yes, mom, of course.  I just want you to be happy."  They embraced.  "Wait, what's the bad news?"  Her eyes widened.  "Am I switching schools?"  She reached behind her, grabbing James hand.  My jaw locked.

"What!?  No, no, no."  She looked up at my dad.  "Jake's the one switching schools."

"What!?"  I demanded, getting up from the couch.  "No, no, NO!  I'm not switching!"  I looked up at my father.  "You said she'd be the one switching!"  I pointed a finger a Lisandra, she flinched away.  "You can't do this!  I'm finally on the starting line!  I could get a scholarship!"  I was pissed.  This was BULLSHIT!!!

I wanted to punch something, I was so mad.  I ran my hand through my hair, pacing.

"Jake, calm down."  My father said.

"Shut up."  I warned.  When I got mad, I got furious.

"Jacob."  My father's voice was hard.

I just shook my head.  I froze when a hand touched me.  James' hand.

My nostrils flared.  "Get. Your. Hand. Off. Of. Me."

"Aye, why don't you just calm down."  He said.

That's it, I couldn't take it, I had to hit something.  I turned around and stuck him in the face.

"James!"  Lisandra screamed.

Gloria was shocked.

"Jacob, cool down outside.  Now."  My father's voice was hard.

I stormed out the house, fuming.  I tried calming down, but I couldn't.  This was unbelievable.  I made my way up to the starting quarterback. I could get a scholarship.  But that wasn't going to happen if I switched.  I wouldn't even be able to be on the team.  Conditioning was almost over for crying out loud.

I was pacing in front of the apartment when the door opened.

"Go away."  I said, not even knowing who it was.

"Jake.."  My little sister's voice stopped me.  "Jake you have to calm down."

"I'm working on it." I said, the anger leaving my voice.  I sighed and picked her up.

"I miss mom.."  She said quietly, burying her face in my neck.

I hugged her tight.  "I know, I know."  I kissed her on the head.  "I do too."

We stayed like that for awhile.  I didn't move until I heard the door open again.

"Jacob."

"I know, Dad."  I signed.  "I'll go apologies."  I put Samantha down and headed back inside.

James was holding a pack of ice to his eye.  Lisandra was standing next to him, rubbing his arm.  Gloria was applying something to his eye.

James looked over at me and took a step forward.  I put my hands up,  "I just came to apologies."  James watched me for awhile before relaxing.

"Alright, I'm sorry I punched you in the face.  I have anger problems.  This was the first time I was told I'd be the one switching. I wasn't expecting it.  And I'm sorry."  I looked around at them.  Gloria smiled at me, James nodded, but Lisandra wouldn't even look at me.  "Okay..  I think we're leaving."  I didn't wait for them to say anything, I just walked out.