Chapter 7: Fortune Cookie Leads To A Confession

A/N: Short Chapter, but I promise the next one will be longer.

••Lisandra POV••

I smiled lightly and picked up a fortune cookie.  Cracking it open, I slipped out the small, white paper.

'All will get better in time.'

I sighed, I really hope it does.

"What'd it say?"  Jake asked.

I looked over at him, "See for yourself."  I pasted him the fortune.

He read it and looked over at me.  "I've gotten that one before."

"And?"  I insisted.

"And everything got better."  He looked down at it.  "I remember when I first got it too."  And suddenly his voice was years away.  "It was after my mom died, from cancer.  I guess you can say I went into a depression."  He glanced up at me.

"You don't have to tell me."  I whispered.  I looked around us, Matt, Samantha, and my mom where in grossed in some board game to notice us.

"I want to."  He insisted.  "C'mon, lets take a walk."

I hesitated.  Should I go with him?  Would he try something?  Would he hurt me?  I looked up at him as he got up.

He gave me a reassuring smile,  "I won't hurt you."  He held up his hand and I just looked at.  "You can trust me."  He insisted.  I took a deep breath and got up, not grabbing his hand.  He laughed lightly, shaking his head as he dropped his hand and headed towards my back door.

He looked so handsome, with the moon light shinning down at him.  He slipped his hands in his pockets and stared up into the sky.

"Mom.."  He looked down, sighing.  "My mom had breast cancer."  He began. "At first, everything was fine, everything was normal, then she started getting worse, and worse.  Soon she lost all her hair, gained weight from all the medicine.."  He looked over at me.  "I got a call during class, saying to head home immediately.  I didn't even hesitant,  I grabbed my bag and ran out of the class.  When I got home, there was an ambulance sitting in front of the house.  I sprinted inside, leaving the door wide open as I ran into my parents bedroom.

"My mother laid in the bed, all these thick blankets covering her.  My father was standing at the foot of the bed, staring into her eyes.  I ran to her bed side, kneeling down by her head.  'Mom..'  I whispered.  She lifted her shaky hand and reached over to brush my cheek.  I leaned in so she didn't have to reach out so far.  'Jay, I'll always be with you, remember that.'"  A single tear steamed down his cheek.  "'I'll be in the stars at night, and in the bright rays of the sun.'"  He didn't continued.

"Jacob.."  I whispered, talking a step toward him.

His head snapped up at the sound of my voice, took a deep breath and continued.

"She died right after.  I cried and cried.  I wouldn't eat, I wouldn't answer my phone calls, I even stopped going to school.  Everyone lost all hope in me, until I opened the fortune cookie.  I hung on to that piece of paper, wondering, no, hoping, that it was speaking the truth to me.  I started changing my ways, going back to my old self.  I went out for the football team, and made it.  I was finally normal again."  He looked at me, smiling lightly.  "Things always get better.  'This shall past'".  He quoted, giving my hand a squeeze.

I looked down, shocked that we were holding hands yet surprised at how normal it felt.  I sighed, pulling my hand out from his.

"Why are you crying?"  He asked.

"I'm not --"  I stopped, touching my cheek, and sure enough I was crying.  I quickly wiped them away.

"I can't believe I just told you that.."  He whispered.  "I've never told anyone that.."

"I told you you didn't have to."  I replied.

"I..  I kinda wanted to.."  He confused.

"Why?"

He shrugged.  "I.. Uh.. I don't know..I feel comfortable around you I guess.."

"Making you 'tongue-tide', am I?"  I laughed and he blushed.

"Something like that."

I smiled.  "C'mon, lets go back inside."