Chapter 22

Pic of train carraige at the side. If you want train sound effects, listen to the youtube link given

9 hours later

"Who has the can opener?" I asked, holding a can of baked beans.

Katy handed it over while eating from a can of peaches, "Here."

"Thanks."

I tried opening the can, but failing miserably. I only managed to puncture a small little hole in it. The train jerked and liquid spewed out of the can and onto my hands.

I squeaked and Daniel grabbed both the can opener and the can from me, "Let me help you."

"The train will be arriving at Orburn in 30 minutes," the train speakers announced.

...

"So..." Hazel said after a long pause, "Urm... Carol?"

No response. Carol was still staring out if the window. She was listening, but she didn't want to answer.

Hazel continued slowly, one wrong word could have bad consequences, "Are there any... concerns or issues you would like to talk about?"

"Lots," she said, still staring out of the window. She has been given those one-word-answers since yesterday.

Hazel sighed, "Carol, we are your friends, you don't have to face this alone. Talk to us."

Another long pause. Katy and Daniel looked rather uncomfortable. I completely forgot about my baked beans until Daniel gave back the now-opened can to me.

"No."

Hazel pleaded, "If you keep this to yourself and let all the sadness and frustration pile up, your heart ... and your mind might not take it. So please....."

"Nonsense."

"....and I'm very sure Ms Lena wouldn't want that to happen," I added. It's like walking through a minefield, more like 'Carol's minefield of anguish and hurt'. One wrong step and...

Carol froze. "Ms Lena," she mumbled. Katy and Daniel looked even more uncomfortable than before.

"Yes, for Ms Lena. Do it for her."

She turned to face all of us, "Okay... I... Do it for her. I don't know..."

It worked. Good. We have 25 minutes before the train reaches Orburn. After that, we might not have enough time to carry out this topic of discussion.

"Remember before we left the asylum I ditched you guys to find ...her?" Carol winced. Just saying her name pained her.

Flash-back!

Carol's POV

I crept out of the room and quietly shut the door behind me. The rest were still pushing that bookcase, ignoring me.

I ran, footsteps echoing in the silent hall.

Even though the hallway was dimly lit, I knew how to get there by heart. I went there really often, even more times than I can remember.

Turn left, enter the sky room, turn right, enter another hallway, walk straight and....

There was a silver of light under the door to the counseling room. No big surprise, she would stay back late into the night to do some paperwork, sometimes finishing at midnight.

I sneak out quite often, late at night when everyone's asleep.

When I entered the room, I found out it was empty. There was another door at the side of the room left open. Her room, the place where she sleeps.

"Hello?"

She appeared a few seconds later, haversack slung over one shoulder.

"So you did receive my message after all. You didn't meet me after you received it." During that small period of time when I didn't see her, I missed her, a lot.

"Yeah, I needed time to consider, weigh the pros and cons," I said, taking out a slightly crumpled piece of paper from my pocket. It was the message.

She noticed the bag on my back, "I see you finally made your decision."

"Not really."

"What do you mean?"

I grabbed her arm and looked up at the security camera watching our every move, "Before I explain anything, we have to run. The wardens know something is going wrong."

She reached out for light switch and flicked it off, leaving us in total darkness, "Don't worry, I've got this."

Ellie's POV
Back to the present

"So where's the letter now?" Hazel asked.

She took the very crumpled letter out of my bag, smoothened the paper and handed it to Hazel, "Here." She then returned back to staring outside the window, she had spoken enough.

Everyone except Carol crowded behind her as Hazel started reading off the letter.

Carol,
I'm writing to you this letter because I didn't want to risk myself asking you this in the counseling room since the security cameras are watching.

Now, I'm going to run away next week and I want you to come with me. I hate this place and I don't want to stay here anymore. The people here are just crazy (except you and your friends)

The thing is, you have friends here. You can either run away with me or stay with them. It's your choice.

If you want to come with me, meet me at the counseling room at 10pm, if I don't see you in fifteen minutes, I will leave by myself. But if you want to come and say farewell, that's fine too.

Until we meet again,
Ms Lena

"We will arrive in 5 minutes time," the train announced in the now silent carriage.

~~~~~

Later on, at Bob's inn, I told her everything.

"But if your friends didn't want to escape, which one will you pick? Me or them?"

...

"You."

I love my friends but... with you...

"Why? Why me?"

I wanted to say it then, but I couldn't. It was stuck in my throat.

I shook my head, "I don't know...."

If only she knew what I was thinking then.

I wanted to ditch my friends. I was so selfish. So, so selfish.

Not only that, she's gone too, and it's all my fault.

I hate myself.

940 words

AN: I MANAGED TO WRITE A CHAPTER OH MY GOODNESS this is wonderful!

Anyway hi! It's been some time since I posted the last chapter. (sorreh)

It's Chinese New Year today, so 新年快乐! This year is the year of the horse, I was born in the year of the tiger, RAR!

I don't usually track my reads and votes but 6k reads and 150 votes?! Oh wow I... Wow. Thank you!