Chapter 13

Day 30 in asylum

Everyone woke up late today. When I opened my eyes, it was already 12pm and everyone was just getting out of their beds.

We went to the canteen to have our lunch. Everyone was there, but Ruby was missing. The fans who were living with her didn't even notice a thing, they just continued fangirling by themselves.

After lunch,we walked past "Bunk room 6" and said nothing.

I felt nothing, nothing at all, not even a hint of sadness. Was it because I expected it? Or was it her willingness to leave this world that made me feel, nothing? My heart felt rather empty, as if I had no more feeling or emotions left.

We waited for the new fan that would replace her. When he arrived, we all stared at him. Very few guys in this world were fans.

He was wearing a black shirt and dark green shorts with track shoes. His bag was slung over his shoulder and his golden-brown hair all messed up.He said his name was Daniel.

"He looks a bit like Jordan with those Jordan-looking clothes." Hazel leaned closer to me and whispered into my ear. I tried to stifle a laugh.

We introduced ourselves, strapped the Track@ (given by the counselor a week back) on him and when it came into contact with his skin, it turned out with a "beep". If we didn't do that, the wardens would have to do it instead.

We also did the usual tour for all the new fans so that the wardens did not suspect anything. He marveled at the "Magic Moving Screen Room"

"Dude I want to stay here forever!" he said.
Little did he know that this will be his last day in the asylum.

Back in our bunk room, we told him everything about the asylum and our escape plan. "It's not safe to live here", we said, "we have to escape."

Daniel looked at us in shock "But I just arrived here,like, an hour ago. And this place is awesome, I want to stay here. Why is it not safe? It looks safe to me," he asked.

"Staying here would endanger your life," Hazel said, "Didn't you listen? We would disappear within 150 days."

"I still don't get it," he shrugged. The girls sighed.

After an hour of explaining the many dangers of staying here, he finally (but quite reluctantly) agreed to follow us.

"To be honest, the girls here are..... crazy. I think I will stick with the sensible ones here." he said.

"Oh don't worry Daniel. We are the only sensible ones in this asylum, so you have no choice but to come with us." Hazel grinned.

"There's Ms Lena too." Carol added.

"Who's Ms Lennah?" he asked. Carol then went to talk about her non-stop. Daniel could do nothing but nod to every sentence.

"Looks like he just activated a death trap," Katy joked.

We then went to pack for our big escape. We packed a few clothes , food and some other stuff. I had extra load as I had the book to carry.

Carol asked, "What about Ms Lena?"

Hazel gulped, "Oh right... her.... I forgot. I think we need to leave her alone. If we told her our plan, she might tell the wardens. Sorry."

Carol said nothing.

We ate dinner in the canteen, our last meal in the asylum.
When then discussed our escape plan for a bit more and we waited for the night to arrive.

-10pm-

"Its 10pm now." Katy said to me.
I took the key out of the book and inserted the key into a small hole in my Track@ , it unlocked with a 'click' and a small red light turned off, meaning that I was no longer tracked. I did the same to the rest of the Track@s.

Katy looked at her wrist, holding the Track@ with the other hand, "FINALLY! I don't have to wear this thing anymore."

I put my finger to my lips, telling her to keep quiet. She bit her bottom lip, and fiddled with her own Track@, showing that she was embarrassed.

After unlocking all the Track@s...

"Good, now where is the secret passage? It's around here somewhere right?" Hazel looked around the room.

"Ruby said that its behind that bookcase. But we have to move it quietly." I said.

We went towards the only bookcase in the room and quietly pushed it to one side as quietly as possible. The bookcase let out a few squeaks and groans, but other than that it was quiet. It revealed a metal door, I pushed down the door handle and opened the door, there was a long passage way, but it was well lit, and thankfully, no security cameras.

This passageway was actually used in emergencies (fire etc.) and it lead to the outside of the asylum.

To me it leads to our freedom , our future and and of course, escape from death itself.

We walked slowly down the passage. When we reached the end, there was another metal door. It had a layer of dust on it. I brushed the dust off the door handle and brushed it off my jeans.

I opened the creaking metal door and the cooling night breeze blew in. We stepped out one by one and admired the scenery for a while. It has been a month since I went outdoors, even longer for the other four. A gentle breeze made my hair flow.

I noticed that the asylum was in a middle of a clearing which is surrounded by woods. Beside it is a small tower about 2 stories high (I later found out it was where all the wardens were living at). There was a small road from the tower to the woods, probably leading to the nearest town.

"Ahhhhh it feels so good." Hazel said, her hair was in her face but she didn't care.

"Yeah, but we have to run to the nearest town now or else... Wait where's Carol?" I looked around. Carol was nowhere in sight, "She was beside us a few minutes ago."

Daniel, who had said nothing since dinner, suddenly spoke up, "She left the room, muttering something about saving Ms Leenah." She must have been really quiet to not alert us.

Katy grabbed him by the collar and shook him, "Why did you not tell us earlier?!"

He mumbled, "I thought it was all about the plan sorry." Katy released him and he fell to the ground. She then marched back up to the asylum.

I grabbed her sleeve, "No, it's too dangerous. We have to wait."

Katy shook free, "And leave Carol in there? Are you crazy?"

"No need to panic girls," someone behind us said.

We turned around and saw Ms Lena, beside her was Carol. Everyone was stunned for a few moments.

"How did you... Carol, what did you do? Why did you leave us?" Hazel questioned.

"Long story, I will tell you all about it later." In the distance there was a siren and a few beams of light heading our way, it was the wardens, "We need to escape. Now."

Ms Lena pointed to a thick forest, "Follow me I know the way!" We all headed into the forest with Ms Lena in lead, Carol closely behind followed by the rest of us.

"Switch of all your torchlights, we will attract attention." I reluctantly flicked mine off, I'm scared of the dark but I would rather be in the dark for a few moments than to be caught. The rest did as they were told. The only light source we had was Ms Lena's torchlight. She followed the road silently.

I squeezed Hazel's hand. "I'm scared," I whispered. She nodded and squeezed my hand back, which reassured me a little.

Near us was a road. Every few hundred meters I could see a sign pointing to something up ahead, although the tress blocked most of the text. Once or twice a car with sirens zoomed past us, failing to notice us hiding in the woods. It could see us if it looked hard enough, thankfully the darkness helped hide us.

An hour later Ms Lena announced, "We are reaching the town. Hang in there." She was walking closer and closer to the road. I could see more lights now.

We reached the entrance to the town a few minutes later. We were standing right in the middle of the road. I looked up to see a sign, "Welcome to Werty Town!" It said.

"Finally," sighed Ms Lena, "Home sweet home."

She turned to all of us, "We haven't reached our destination yet. I'm bringing you to an inn, more like a hostel. Anyway, let's go." She brought us to an alley, then another alley, then a small backstreet. It took us 20 more minutes just to reach our destination.

It was an old concrete building, Even in the dark I could see peeled paint here and there.The curtains were all drawn closed, there were small gaps in between the curtains that leaked light. Looks like people were not asleep yet, even though it was close to midnight.

"Here it is everyone," Ms Lena gestured to the building, "Your new home."

She quickly added, "For now. Let's go in, shall we?"

AN: Hi just asking but do you need the word count? Some people like it because they know how much they are reading.

Anyway I need to update Camp Jordan soon. Being a fanfic writer is hard work.