CHAPTER XXIII: CONEY ISLAND - PART 1

CHAPTER XXIII: CONEY ISLAND — PART 1

"I'll share my dreams
And make you see
How really bad your love I need
I want you love, I need your love."
- Lady Gaga for Tom Ford, I Want Your Love

I don't know if it's me or the demon is purposely avoiding me. Slate could have gone off – after what happened last night, which was pretty weird, I was assuming that he took off and went somewhere and did what he usually does. But I was surprised when we both got out of our room at the same time. I looked at him, but he never looked back at me. Usually he'd throw me a smirk, or wink at me, but he didn't. Instead he completely ignored me like I wasn't there at all, as if he didn't feel my presence.

And now here we are, completely ignoring each other in the living room. I'm on the couch, watching the city of Brooklyn (I've been doing that a lot ever since I came here to live in this unit – what can I do? There's nothing to entertain me here) through the big windows while Slate is leaning on the doorway to the kitchen, watching me watch the city. Or it seems so. I can feel his gaze burning the back of my head, and I'm not sure whether to tell him to cut it out or just ask him "what's up?" as if he hasn't been ignoring me. At the back of my head there's someone screaming at me that says I'm missing something. It's like something happened but didn't really happen at all. I don't know how to explain it; all I know is that I'm missing something, something important.

"Change; we're going somewhere," his voice rings in my ears. I have to look back to see if he's really talking to me. His eyes meet mine, and I feel a shiver run down my spine. Those eyes, I've always thought they are beautiful, mesmerizing, and awesome. It's even breathtaking. His blank stare turns into a glare and I scramble up, falling down on the couch once, butt hitting the floor and I groan out loud. From the corner of my eyes, I see his lips twitch, and I run into my room to change.

I have to admit, I'm a bit excited. The last time he had brought me into the city, we bought clothes for me to wear. This time, I don't know what he has prepared for me. We could just be strolling, taking in the beauty of the city. Whatever he has for me, it's fine. As long as I get to spend the day out of this unit. I've been pretty bored here – there's nothing to entertain me here. If I could just learn how to do most of the mortal stuff, then that would be good. Once I get into my room, I quickly undress myself and change into a pair of plain white shirt and a pair of jeans. I feel like I've gotten fat though I barely eat so much. I don't even remember when the last time I ate was that filled my stomach so much. It would be awesome if Slate brings me to a restaurant – or we could do grocery and it would be much appreciated if he asks me what I like.

Once prepared, I run back into the living room only to find him already dressed – Slate is wearing a camouflage tank tap that shows his muscle-y, lean and strong arms. The veins are visible from his forearms down to his wrists. He only wears a black shades, giving him this bad boyish look that looks good on him. In fact, he looks really sexy, so irresistible. He matches his tank top with a pair of fitted black pants, ripped on the knee-part. Before I think of anything, an unnecessary thought, weird, I shake my head and smile awkwardly at him. He looks irresistibly delicious. I groan internally.

"So where are we going?" I ask him while walking towards him.

The demon only gives me a shrug (the way he shrugs his shoulder, Good Lord, I find it attractive – what the Hell is happening to me?). "Around the city, I guess." He says, his voice deep, his eyes trained outside the city. "I figure that you must be bored out of your mind here so... breathing into the city will somehow make you feel better."