Chapter Nine:

Hey guys! What's up? I haven't posted in a while but I promise you these next few chapters will make up for it. I personally love the characters; love the story and hope you do too. Keep up the likes and comments :) I'm pushing 2,000 words per chapter, might sound silly but it keeps me going when I don't have the motivation to type em up. Anyway, enjoy!
---------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Nine:
It takes approximately forty-two minutes to get to my house, it’s taped off by yellow tape yet nobody guards it. I guess this technically isn’t my home anymore this is just an empty house, home is where my family is. I creep my way to the backdoor and slowly turn the knob of the door; it’s unlocked but squeaks as the door swings early. I look around there’s broken shards of glass on the ground; this is where she fell, she’s not here anymore they must’ve took her from the scene. I grab my backpack off the hook and throw in whatever I think i’ll need from home since this more than likely is my last time here again, at least for a long while. I also grab a second one for Adaline, first things first. The Bear. I search high and low, all around the house I just can’t seem to find it though, I make my way up the stairs careful to step knowing fully well that they’ll creak. I finally make it to my bedroom, the beauty of the light orange once gave me comfort, not now though, not anymore. I quietly place my blanket in my bag carefully as not to disturb anything; I take out my box. I designed the box for the very time I move out, all of my trinkets would be in one place. I can’t say I regret it either, I guess i’m just moving out early. Finally, I spot my bear, hiding in the corner on my shelf, I hug it to myself and place it in my bag with the rest of my things. When I am certain I need nothing else from my bedroom I move on to Adalines bedroom; her room is what I would refer to as an organized mess. She knows where everything is but if you tried to find it… Good luck. I get lucky and find her trinket box I made her and gently set it in her bag; I grab her pillow and beloved stuffed elephant “Ella” and stuff them in the backpack as well. I’m about to zip up the bag when something catches my eye, the doll baby sitting on her bed; mom gave it to her when she was only five. It’d almost be sin to leave it, so I bring it with me. I sigh and finally grab moms black sweater placing it in my bag and dad's pocketknife in my pocket.
“Something to remember them by.” I sigh to myself, folding a family portrait in my pocket. To avoid confrontation I leave the same way I came, out the backdoor; you’d think that at 3:30 in the morning nobody would even be awake, at least that’s the theory. Well all theories have counter examples, and this would be a perfect time to prove that… I feel a cold circular object against the back of my head. I gulp, but keep my cool.
“Drop it, all of it.” His voice says smoothly, I listen placing the bags on the ground gently.
“Show me your code.” He shakes my arm, feeling for the code; my back still turned to him. Normally this is one of the most vulnerable positions the back facing your opponent, the truth is this is the lesser of two evils. As soon as I turn, as soon as he can describe what I look like the danger will double.
“No.” I make my voice drop an octave, just to throw him off my scent.
“What do you mean No?” He shouts, and grabs my shoulders turning me around. I take my knife quickly from my pocket and jab it into his thigh; he kneels in pain so I grab the bags and run. Farther and farther away I run, farther and farther I go. Away from here, away from this place where bad holds me hostage, it’s been around twenty minutes with no social contact. It’s still just myself when I hear a soft cry from an alley; I’m drawn to it, curiousity engulfing me in it’s clutches. I turn the corner only to find a gorgeous baby on the ground in a small box. He is wearing nothing more than standard baby clothes which aren’t very warm. I quickly grab a blanket from my bag, and swaddle the child in it.
“Shh.” I say softly, the baby coos back at me almost in response. The baby curls into my chest, I feel a tear well up in my right eye.
“Did they abandon you sweeties? Hmm?” I ask, the baby touches my face and smiles. The blue finally starts to break from his lips and slowly turn shade pink. I make a small cocoon in the crook of my arm; and carry him with me. He stays quiet, so quiet I often check he’s okay and he is. He can’t be more than a year old, unbelievable; the fact someone has the audacity to leave a child like this. Maybe this is why I was compelled to come back home, to meet him unknowingly. I finally reach the doorstep and fumble for my keys, my hands are frozen, red and numb; I can only imagine what his is like. I quietly get through the backdoor and up the stairs without raising any suspicion, I softly open the door to my room sneaking him through and setting the bags on my bed and sit down in a small chair. The baby stares up at me with tired eyes, yet he grabs my pinky finger with his little hand; his hand barely fitting around my finger.
“Well buddy, I don’t know much about being a caregiver... “ I sigh.
“But I do believe we were brought together on purpose.” He closes his eyes drifting off yet again, and I am not far behind.
                         ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “Time to wake up.” Liam says walking into my room; I still hold it in my arms.
    “Liam say hello to this handsome little man.” I say smiling.
    “What the hell?” He drops the glass in his hand, and the baby starts to cry.
    “Shh!” I half yell.
    “You went to your house when I told you not to!” He says louder.
    “Hey you were drunk it’s fair game.” I laugh unknowingly.
    “How is that fair game?” He asks, realizing his tone of voice.
    “You were drunk, how could I trust your judgement?” I say.
    “Well you compromised your entire existence going back.” He says obviously annoyed.
“But I found the baby!” I reply.
“But you compromised all of us.” He raises his voice, the baby starts to cry.
“You’re scaring him!” I say, hugging the baby to me.
“Fine. As long as they don’t realize you’re here; we’ll be leaving in a few days anyway.” He sighs, I nod but am also very confused.
“Where?” I ask.
“That’s not important right now.” He responds.
“Look.” I say, looking him square in the eyes,
“Putting all that aside, for this child you can either hear me out or suck it up; either way I’m keeping him.” He nods and lets me explain.
“You’re raising him?” Liam asks calmly, I nod.
“He chose me so I’m giving him another chance at a family.” He nods in wonder.
“But you’re 18.” He replies.
“Don’t worry, I’ll get a job, and pay for him and adaline; but he needs someone to love him.” I say anxiously.
“No.” He responds, I look at him in curiosity.
“I was just amazed that you decided to get up so much for him, especially when it’s not yours.” He says gently, and picks the baby up from my arms.
“You aren’t going to raise him alone then, he at least deserves a father.” He replies and I smile, I smile at him. He’s stepping up as a father like figure for a child that he just met. Liam leans down and kisses me delicately.
“He also deserves a name.” I add.
“Mnnn, you found him.” He says in a sing song tone, he turns to the baby.
“What do you think cutie?” He smiles.
“What about your name?” I ask.
“What about my middle name?” He says firmly.
“Tobin?” I say.
“Yes.” He smiles. “Tobin.”
“How about, Tobin Alexander Nobis?” I ask.
“Perfect.” He remarks and smiles down at him; they oddly look similar to each other. You wouldn’t see it at first especially with Tobin's’ matted blond hair; yet they both have that smile that draws others in, it’s almost enchanting. Liam kisses the top of my head and Tobin's.
“I need to go.” He says, walking out, I nod and wave goodbye.
“I think we’re going to be okay.” I say mindlessly, I’m not sure why I say it; Liam is doing everything he can do to keep us under the radar. I take Tobin downstairs and keep him at my side; he gets heavy so I finally set him on two chairs pushed together like a playpen. I give him my bear, he seems to like it so I start on breakfast, I decide today to make waffles. Adaline absolutely loves waffles, I sprinkle chocolate chips in the battle to make them sweeter. Suddenly I hear a knock on the door, I take the waffle out of the waffle iron but still refuse to open the door.
He, she, it, whoever it is will probably go away. I can’t help but think. So I leave it be, small rays of sunlight creep through the windows, and they knock again. By this time I get annoyed; I really don’t want them to wake Adaline right now.
“Okay.” I sigh to myself and make my way to the door. I slightly turn the knob but keep the chain locked across the top.
    “Hello” I say through the lock.
“Hi there!” A boy responds sickly enthusiastic; maybe it’s the lack of sleep, or maybe the major events that took place are finally getting to me, but it just doesn’t seem right.
“May I come in?” He asks, rather impatiently may I add.
“Sorry not now, feel free to stop by later.” I say kindly as possible shutting the door, however he persists; pressing on the door until it’s stopped by this lock in which is our only barrier. It was a smart choice to keep the door locked, but it does no justice. I hear metal against metal as I fully shut the door, hurriedly I get Tobin upstairs with Adaline.
“Adaline.” I half yell.
“What?” She asks groggily.
“No time to explain; take Tobin and hide, don’t say anything, and do what you need to do to stay completely quiet.” I emphasis my point, and make my way down the stairs. I hide behind the island with a gun at my side; all it takes now is one bullet, one bullet to the chain once separating us and he’s in.