Chapter Ten:

Hey lovelies, these are just the start to this book, plenty more content where this comes from. Matter of fact still writing material from the first notebook, so remember to star, comment, and share with whoever you'd like. :) Enjoy.
---------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 10:

“Fine.” He groans. “I’ll let myself in.” He paces around the living room, quietly as if not to disturb anyone home. I can hear him searching through the remains of his newly created mess and I peek up over the counter. His back is turned, sifting through the living room looking for something. All it would take is one clean shot and he’d be done. I pull the gun up to my chest and load my ammo. I peer back across the table but have seemingly failed to stay quiet. He looks at me with frustration, and I aim; this is one of the worst parts of life. Taking someone's life or them taking yours, and if you are holding a gun like we are… Shoot to kill. I hover over the table and tell him to come here, I have the bigger gun and I have the power.
    “I have silent alarms all over. By the time you shoot me police will be swarming around you and you’d go to prison. Is that what you want?” I ask sharply, with no hesitation he replies.
    “You think I mind that Nic? I’ve done my fair share of time in prison.” He says rudely.
    “Don’t you remember me?” He steps towards me avoiding eye contact. I’ve heard the voice before, I just can’t.
    “You don’t want to shoot.” I say stifling any emotion I could have.
    “No, not at first.” He presses my back against the wall, have I been backing up the whole time? Why can’t I just shoot?
    “You don’t remember me, eh?” He asks rather worriedly.
    “Let’s clear this up now.” His smile is neat, and breath travels down my neck.
    “Get away from me.” I say calmly, but he jams his arm against my throat.
    “You don’t shut up do you?” He laughs.
    “Bastard.” I mutter, my voice begging me for rest; it could sound like hell itself all raspy.
    “Now play nice.” He continues, pressing the barrel to my stomach, rooky mistake. Just then, I fine Adaline on the stairs and he follows my gaze, pulling away from me.
    “Shoot me. And leave her out of this.” I say.
    “Very well.” He says and pulls the trigger, I squeezed my eyes shut and wait for the shot, but it doesn’t come. Nothing.
    “Shit.” He mutters realizing how stupid he was. I barely have time but still I tackle him to the ground wrestling me; I hold his back choking him, and he stands back up. I purposely keep one foot out and drop to my feet, tripping him yet again. This time he controls me, my back against the ground, his calloused hands against my skin.
    “If you so much as hurt them I will make your life a living hell.” I snap at him.
    “If you live to see it.” He snaps back, his cold stare piercing my skin. Where have I seen that stare before? I’m more than afraid but if this is what needs to be done then so be it. But right as he’s about to shoot, a great force prys him off of me. I move back stunned, afraid, with tears in my eyes. Liam is holding him by the throat against the wall.
    “Move and I’ll blow your head off.” He wears a stern expression.
    “Please.” He laughs.
    “I don’t think you’re in any position to test me.” Liam smirks, god he’s hungry for a fight; you can almost see the thrill in his eyes. I can’t bring myself to look at my attacker, he senses how uncomfortable I am right now, using it to his advantage.
    “Let’s go.” Liam grabs his arm and leads him to the door.
    “What’s wrong Nic? Don’t you remember me?” He asks as I reach the top step of the stairs. He’s right, I feel like I should; I feel like I do. The real question is where? Those eyes where have I seen them before? The light shade of grey engulfing his eyes. I think back to when I was young running through memories of friends and tracking down thoughts of my family. Now it hits me. His golden brown hair and dull grey eyes…
    “Darin.” I say coldly. He cackles as Liam presses him out the door. He doesn’t respond but glares back with a satisfied smirk. He elbows Liam’s diaphragm and knees him at least three times; kicking him on the ground. Running up the stairs after me, crap.
    “No more fooling around.” He grabs my wrist and forcefully drags me towards him; gripping my neck with great strength. His nails pierce my skin, sharp like a blade.
    “You locked dad away, when all he was doing was pr…”
    “Protecting us I know! You’ve only said it a thousand times” I say sharply, his grip tightens around me and presses my back to the wall.
    “Ouch, put me down; put me down!” I try to sound calm but internally I am screaming. Liam eventually stands and raises his gun, a purple bruise now adjusted on his skin. He keeps the gun aimed but doesn’t shoot.
    “That’s right raise your gun, you can shoot her for me.” He smiles, “Right Nicky?” I grunt in frustration but it is merely a squeak.
    “Shut up.” He snaps at me. “I’ll shoot you.” He turns to Liam.
    “And you don’t want your kids to witness that.” He cackles, I grunt loudly pushing him off of me slightly. He pushes me towards the banister, using me as a shield for protection.
“You’re pathetic.” I say loudly.
“Using your little sister as a barrier… You are pathetic.”
“This is for what you did!” He yells. “You did this to yourself Nicolette, you set yourself up for this. You put us all in danger, you deserve to be dead. The words ring in my head, I fall numb and limp.
“You’re right.” I say and allow him the pleasure of pushing me over the edge.
“This is for what we did.” I say my voice empowered, my body rushing with adrenaline; I grab his arm torso in that split second that gravity has no effect on me. He plunges down as do I and those few seconds feel like minutes, hours, days, years even. I look over at him and smile for once; everything just paid off. Darin isn’t smiling, he’s thoroughly pissed and I get the pleasure of watching his expressions contort.
“Why?” He says.
“No mercy.” I sigh and relax; waiting for impact. Finally my back touches the floor, knocking the wind out of me so much I choose not to move. Luckily, I know how to fall. I can see Liam out of the corner of my eye, if he’s fearful he doesn’t show it. He clasps my hand into his, and runs the other along my neck stopping under my jaw. At first I think he’s giving me comfort, but in reality… He’s checking my pulse.His hand tightens around mine, almost as if he’s asking me to stay with him. Then realization hits me, I know I’m alive but he doesn’t… He pushes loose strands of hair behind my ear and leans down to me.
“Hold on Nicolette.” His hand brushes over not only my pulse point but where Darin's hands once were.
“I said keep fighting dammit.” His voice is shaky and fearful; I can’t leave him like this, I have to try at least. I exert myself trying to give him a sign, nothing fancy. Just to wiggle my fingers so he’d know. I push myself to the point i’d break and it stings; but the thought of hurting him stings worse. I push myself more feeding off the thought I could comfort him by moving this one finger. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. What am I doing wrong? I think back to Phys. Ed. when Andrew fell off the rope, he wasn’t much different from my situation. I concentrate, trying to decipher thoughts that I never thought i’d use. But his voice comes back to me, what he said finally resurfaces.
“Flow like water.” There’s nothing I can lose from doing so. I let my energy flow to my fingertips, I feel a small tingle but it isn’t good enough. I focus on my thumb, maybe it’s just my thumb but it’s a start. Finally, my thumb moves. It’s just barely noticable but I run my brittle thumb across his hand. Too anyone else the movement wouldn’t spark any interest; but Liam is very vigilant. His grip tightens on mine.
“Do it again.” He says, tears in his eyes. There he sits waiting patiently; anyone else would’ve left but he stays perfectly still. Thank god he did because I do it yet again, it’s becoming a bit easier the second time.
“You’re okay.”