Chapter Three.

Chapter Three:

I look back at Adaline, she’s so close to crying. I really can’t blame her but she can’t, not right now; not when it matters. I swiftly move my hand and softly cover her mouth, I can’t help but feel guilty as warm teardrops drip onto my fingers.
“If you don’t keep quiet they’ll hear you.” I whisper. We continually wait, and each second my heart beats faster and faster. Waiting for a chance to leave and get us out of here. I hear a rattle at the gate and tilt my head upwards just in time to see a young man around my age jumping over. He lands on the ground softly and hesitantly surveys the area. If my heartbeat wasn’t beating loud enough before, it is now. God, all of Archangel could hear it now. Yet he seems unaware of us, his eyes sweep side to side skimming the ground, closer and closer. His eyes finally land on my foot and he raises them to meet my own. With the gun at his side he looks menacing, yet looking into his eyes; he seems gentle. Yet that is a first impression, that doesn’t make him gentle.
“Did you find anything?” the officer snaps from the other side of the fence. He looks at me, then peers back to Adaline. He finally stares back at me indecisively, I place my finger against my lips. He softly walks over to me motioning at Adaline, I can’t do much he hasn’t ratted us out… Yet.
“I said did you find anything!” The officer yells again.
“Just a minute.” He snaps back, his voice is deep and rigid. He touches the tips of his fingers to her head removing the clip that kept her hair in place. Pulling out a small evidence bag, he sticks it in.
“Here.” he says in a feisty tone. He throws it over the fence, and waits.
    “That’s all!” The officer snaps, his voice raspy.
“Afraid so.” He says calmly. The officer makes his way to the car and opens the door.
“Get in you two.” I hold my breath but to my relief he is talking to the dogs.
“Anything else?” He asks, not like the cop heard him. The cop drives away with the animals
“Guess not.” he mutters. I sigh heavily.
“Hey.” he says calmly, I cut him off.
“Sorry but we have to go.” I sigh, “But thanks for not saying anything.” I go to make my way towards the gate, Adaline silently follows.
“Wait.” he says carefully grabbing my arm, I look back and am surprised to be met by his gaze.
“I can help you.” He says with uncertainty.
“No thanks.” I say and remove my arm from his grasp.
“You two are in serious trouble.” He says insisting. 
“We’re not a charity case.” I respond hastily and turn back once again. He firmly pulls my arm back to him and I swing at him with my open arm intending to use his force against him. But something strange happens, he holds the arm I hit with by the wrist and gazes into my eyes. This time, something about his gaze beckons me to stay. His amber eyes electrify me, it’s odd but not bad.
“You sound like a soon to be prisoner saying that.” I say, smirking just the slightest bit.
“I’m willing to accept the risk, are you?” He rebuttals. I look down, he’s good. I’m sure he realizes the nerve he just hit and will probably take that into account. He sighs stepping closer to me, forgetting Adaline is even here. He leans his head down, his hand brushing my face and delicately pushes a few loose strands of hair behind my ear. It wasn’t until just now that I really looked at him, his muscular body in front of my petite frame.
“Trust me.” His voice is soft and just the slightest bit attractive. I find myself taken by these words but don’t show it. I take a breath, I’m not sure what entices me to make this decision but what the hell, we need an ally.
“Okay.” I say. “What’s the plan?” He shakes his head.
“Not here.” He says. “Follow me.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We follow him to a small diner in town, along the way he’d pay attention he’d realize the looks he’s been receiving. I get it, Adaline and I have dirt all over our clothes and his are completely clean. I would look at us weirdly too.
    “Here it is, Skyline Diner.” He says proudly. To be honest, it can easily be missed but the place has character. I smile and we make our way inside.
    “What table?” The waitress asks quietly.
    “The tables at the top.” he says without stuttering. She nods and points to the elevator.
    “Find a table that you’d like and someone will be right there.” She sighs.
    “Thanks Macie.” He smiles and leads the way, Adaline walking in between us. I peer back in time to see Macie staring at me, hopefully she doesn’t recognize me. Getting in the elevator scared Adaline just the slightest bit.
“She’s afraid of heights.” I mutter, and he laughs.
“She won’t be after this.” He replies. On the top floor we exit the elevator, taking the second table from the edge of the restaurant. The view is spectacular, you can see all of Aryianne from here, it’s quite gorgeous. We settle into the table and I immediately repeat my question that was left unanswered.
“What is the plan?” He looks down and laughs the slightest bit.
“Eager aren’t we?” He says, I nod and sit back in my chair.
“Don’t have time to waste.” I say.
    “Okay” His expression changes to serious.
    “You both have no place to go right now so you both will stay with me, at my house.” He blushes slightly.
“I mean we’ll have separate rooms of course but for now you need to lay low…”  He adds.
“I see, and two females miraculously ending up at your home fitting the same identities of two girls that are missing? How do you plan to get away with that?” I stutter.
“Simple.” He says. “New identities, i’m guessing you have the contacts, correct?” I nod shyly.
“So why are we living there?” I fire back.
“I have a new girlfriend.” He responds quicker. It’s like he’s feeding off of my comments. “And she has a daughter.” He winks at me.
    “This is crazy!” I say. “Why do you put your trust in us, you barely know us!” I say softly. He grabs my wrist softly, and trails down to my tiny hand and grasps it. I glance down at it, and smile softly.
“Because I trust you.” He says.
“Why.” I ask.
“Hmm. That's my secret.” He smiles and looks back up at me.
“May I take your order?” The waitress asks me in a overly cheerful tone. I give her a courteous smile regardless, and almost get to respond but beats me too it.
“Stromboli.” He says. “We’d like the Stromboli.”
“Okay, and what beverage?” she responds still very perky.
“I'll have a cola and Ad…” I cough. Stupid. You can't use her actual name. I turn to Adaline and smile.
“What would you like sweetheart?” I say, trying to collect my thoughts.
“Cola.” She responds, looking over at him.
“I guess I'll have cola as well.” He laughs, she nods and walks off.
“I can make my own decisions.” I say annoyed.
“Remember you said you trusted me?” He says calmly. I nod.
“It’s just.” I stutter.
“Saying you trust me and actually meaning you it are two very different things.” He smiles, but my annoyed expression doesn't change. He looks over to Adaline, and gets up.
“Do you want to get a little bit closer?” He smiles at her.
She hesitantly nods, and he takes her hand. They stop about four paces from the edge, Adaline hiding behind his leg.
“You're okay.” His voice is very hushed and protective.
“No I'm not!” She yells, obviously afraid.
“Trust me, I won't let you get hurt.” He sighs. She hesitantly follows him, and there they look beyond the edge. Adaline's expression changes slowly from fear to curiosity and she finally cracks a smile. She starts to laugh, a feeling of relief surges through my body, knowing that she’s happy. I stand and make my way over to them. I motion for him to lean down and whisper to him.
“Maybe we can make this work, But Adaline has to agree.” He smiles and doesn't try to hide it this time, he picks her up as she continues to look out.
“Adaline, would you like to stay with me for a while?” He asks. She looks back over at me and points.
“She's invited right?” He peers over to me and smiles.
“Most definitely.” he says. Adaline pauses and places her finger on her cheek as per usual.
“Yes!” she responds excitedly, the waitress sets down our meal and she runs over to the table.
“So first things first.” He tells me.
“Since I already know her name, what's your name?” He asks.
“What's your name.” I smirk.
“I asked you first.” he says.
“Since I'm new to this whole trust thing, you should say your name first.” I smirk. He sighs.
“My name is Liam” He replies. “And yours?” I hesitate.
“Nic.” I respond finally.
“Nic.” He says testing it out,
“I like it.”