Chapter Five:

Guys I'm extremely excited about this story! I thank everyone reading, and continue to say (if you like the book of course) share it, introduce others to it and continue to vote/comment! :) I thank you all yet again for taking your time to read this and in turn I try to provide not average but good content. Without further adieu.... Enjoy! :D
---------------------------------------------------------
Chapter Five:

I follow Adaline up to her room, I won’t lie it’s a bedroom fit for a princess. The walls are painted a gorgeous bubblegum pink, a white linen canopy outlines the shape of her bed, her bed is made neatly with soft pink bedsheets and matching pillowcases. On the hardwood floor there’s a large rug, it’s a snowy white color covering most of the hardwood. In the corner sets a small vanity, and beside it a small set of stairs. I look at Liam questioningly.
    “Go ahead.” He smiles. I make my way up the narrow ladder. The room is gorgeous, once again the floor is hardwood. The upstairs has a small “couch” and a little tv. Quite honestly it’s fit for a princess. I make my way back down the steps and find Adaline playing in the closet.
    “Adaline, get out of there.” I say feeling guilty.
    “Actually, the clothing is meant for her.” He stated happily.
    “Well in that case… Thank you.” I say, “Right Adaline?” She twirls around in her new tiara she found on the vanity earlier.
    “Thank you!” She giggles and hugs him.
    “Okay, I think it’s time for you to get your shower.” I say softly, looking at Liam to find out where the showers are.
    “It’s right down the hall.” She nods, finds a pair of pajamas, and skips down the hall.
    “Your room is right down the hall.” He says. I make my way down the hall and to the left is a door. My room is elegant and simple. The walls are a simple white my comforter and pillows are black and white, the rug on the floor is also black. The bay window beckons me… I have a feeling i’m going to be spending a lot of time there reading. There in the corner is a bookcase, not just a case… The books occupy most of the shelves, there are endless amounts of stories. In the other corner there is a small black chair and a closet against the wall. I open the closet doors carefully, as if I almost didn’t trust them. A small variety of dark colors peer back at me.
    “I wasn’t exactly sure what you like…” Liam says out of nowhere.
    “All this?” I ask him questionably. He retracts his statement quickly.
    “Unless you don’t like it.” He says shying away.
    “No it’s amazing, i’m at a lost for words.”
    “It was my girlfriends but she moved away two years ago. No notice, nothing.” He sighs. I turn to face him and he meets my glare. This is the first time I really see him, his eyes are amber almost like Adaline's contacts, his hair a soft chocolate brown. His muscles aren’t bulging yet stand out on his arms. Truthfully if these were other circumstances I may have found him attractive, but the irony is I've never had a boyfriend and I don’t plan to.
    “I’m sorry.” I try to sounds sincere, it really doesn’t come off that way though. I curse at myself under my breath. He’s telling me about his life and all I can say is sorry? Pathetic. He seems not to mind, brushing it off.
    “Do you want me to call for pizza? Or I mean I can make something.” He says.
    “No that’s okay. I’ll make something.” I pause, but I can hear the faucet turn off, Adaline's done with her shower.
    “I better get cooking.” I say, he points me in the direction of the kitchen and I make my way to the pantry.
I am very capable, I am not a charity case.
I find myself cooking spaghetti, and thawing meat to make the pasta sauce.
“Hush little baby, don’t say a word…” Hmm… Why can’t I remember the name of that song? The only thing I remember is mom singing that to me as a baby. Then it starts to hit me… Mom. Mom… There’s a good chance mom was seriously injured, did she make it out? Tears well up in my eyes, they creep down my cheek like rain. Except this rain burns, because it’s acid rain. I wipe them away, I have to be brave. The tears start to vanish yet I find myself holding myself up over the sink. Liam walks into the kitchen at the worst possible time.
    “Looks good!” He says. I push a plate towards him, making sure I face the window. He grabs my hand softly.
    “Thank you.” his voice becomes quiet as a mouse. His hand releases mine, and I choke back more tears. His fingertips trail from my hand, up my arm, and eventually touch my shoulder. He calmly pulls back on my shoulder making me face him.
    “Now what’s wrong?” He asks. I don’t look up in fear of the truth, that he’ll be looking down at me like i’m in dire need of help. I don’t “need” help, i’m not completely fine but I can deal.
    “Nothing.” I say, yet he stands there waiting. He and I just pause, and wait. Soon I can feel myself become choked up, I try to hide the tears; that sadly fails… It hurts to hide them. He looks at me with a gentle glare, and I cave. Tears stream down my face, he hushes me and hands me a warm cup of ginger ale.
    “You ready to talk?” He asks. I shake my head no.
    “I barely know you.” I say.
    “Yet you’re living with me…” He rebuttals. Damn, he has a good point, I can’t help but think he’s doing this because he feels pity for me. He leads me outside to the patio, I sit on a deck chair and look at the sky.
    “My favorite color is green.” He states.
    “Why are you telling me this?” I ask.
    “Figured you could tell me yours now.” I shake my head yet again.
    “This secret is not worth that secret.” I stutter. He pauses momentarily. He takes a small breath and looks over at me.
    “When I was only a baby, my mother died by gun shot. That’s why I joined the force, to avenge her in a good way. By being part of something greater than myself, and saving the lives of the innocent.” He smiles down at the ground.
    “I just think she smiles just a little bit.” He says.
I take a deep breath, hesitating.
    If I tell him he could turn us in, he set us up; but i’m in his home… Why would he take in a hostage? That’s the thing about secrets… If you share them there’s a good chance it won’t be kept. It’s been lonely not having friends, barely having family… I decide to take baby steps and try something small.
    “My favorite color is blue, like the night sky.” I look up. Mom’s probably sitting up there telling me to be strong; to keep fighting.
    “Why?” He asks.
“You can’t see the stars without it.” I respond. He places his hands on the porch.
“Yeah.”
“Do you ever feel you don’t fit in?” He says quietly.
“Maybe, I mean we’re supposed to feel safe and secure with this code; I don’t.” I say.
“I don’t feel safe, it’s just that simple.” He states. “Especially when they told me who i’d love.” I’m stunned by this, but rather not bring it up.
All I can manage to say is a simple, “Oh.”
“Oh indeed.” His gaze meets mine yet again, yet it doesn’t make me fearful of him.
“Mnn, I guess I have a thing for blue eyes.” he laughs.
“What?” I ask.
“You don’t have brown eyes, take your contacts out.” Admittedly my jaw drops the slightest bit. I do, momentarily. He watches me and I finally stick the contacts back in there case. He looks into my eyes, and smiles slightly.
“I’m a sucker for blue eyes.” He says. I can feel the heat on my cheeks as I blush lightly. His hand slides towards mine, he places it on top of mine slowly; loosening my grasp on the rail and intertwining our fingers.
I’m not sure if it’s the tea, or because this strangely feels familiar.
“I’m not coded.” I say with a bit of relief.
My biggest secret, this meaning the difference between life and death for not just me but all of us… Then he tells me two words.
Two words that changed my point of view completely.
“I Know.”