Chapter Two.

***Hey guys! It's been awhile and I'm sorry but this book I take real pride in. I want to make my chapters lengthy reads that really get into detail. I want to write content that I myself like to read and therefore the time between chapters. Regardless, I now submit for your approval, "Coded" Chapter Two. Please, please if you like this content react to it. I love comments and I absolutely LOVE suggestions! As I said, I want awesome content! So without future adieu, ENJOY! :) ******

Chapter Two:

I really don't seem to get a moment to myself. The code is simple, and any idiot could get it. That is every idiot except myself. Hypothetically i’d get me across borders, classes, work and endless other opportunities. Honestly I know everything, that is except what I really want to know. I want to know what about this code makes me live? More or less, want to live. They have the most introverted, intellectual, and fine crafted codes this universe has ever seen so, why can’t I get one! Suddenly i’m pulled out of my thoughts, I haven’t seen Adaline since I got here.
“Adaline!” I yell. No response.
“Adaline!!!” I yell again. Still no response. I’m start to worry… Finally I find her, after what feels like I spent forever looking for her. She just so happens to be with Whitley, Whitley? Whitley. I completely despise her yet she’s my sisters best friend; The funny part is she’s my age. Well I guess it makes sense, I hooked the two up. I brought her home with me to hang out and she and Adaline hit it off. Ever since then they’ve been best friends, I’ve tried to avoid Whitley though, I mean in fifth grade she turned everyone against me by saying I was moving to Archangel and living among the rich. Obviously that never happened, but still everyone believed her, and since then I never trusted her again. None of the less, I still figure out a way to muster up enough strength to be kind to her; for Adalines sake.
“Adaline!” I say loudly.
“Yes?” she says looking back.
“It’s time to go.” I say. She looks at Whitley, then me, and back at Whitley.
“You go _____, I’ll stay and watch her.” She says.
“Unfortunately, Adaline must come with me this time.” I say sternly. What am I thinking? She won’t listen to me.
“No. She’s staying with me.” She persists.
“Look this isn’t a debate.” I say and grab Adalines hand, she skips along beside me without hesitation until a brutal force pulls her back.
“Ouch.” she says. I look back and down at her little arm, Whitley’s hand pulling back on it.
“I said I’ll watch her.” she tells me.
“Adaline look away.” I say, and she hesitantly does. Whitley takes one look at me and laughs.
“So what are you gonna do about it?” She says stepping closer and pushing my back against the wall. I look down on her arm, and raise my eyebrows.
“Really?” I say. She then pulls back her fist and jabs at me, I duck and she hits the wall.
“What the..” She tries to continue yet I grab her neck and pull her back, she claws at me yet I sink my arm around her neck and choke her. I feel her hand clench just slightly around my wrist and she falls to the ground.
“Come on Adaline.” I yell and she runs along after me. After two minutes of jogging, I start to slow to a walk. Looking back I can easily see Adaline panting and realize that was the correct choice. We make our way past the security guard, waltzing around confrontation; and find myself checking periodically for anyone that may have noticed us. Adaline walks beside me, her eyes glistening regardless of the now rosey colored tear stains on her cheeks. Now that her contacts are out her amber color is gone; her kind blue eyes peer back at mine.
“We can’t go home.” she says.
“What do you mean?” I respond.
“I mean we can’t go back to mom.” she sighs. “And I was asking Whitley if we could stay with her.”
“What were you thinking!” I say, she’s an intelligent nine year old but sometimes I question her judgment… Then again, she’s nine.
“All I know is we can’t go home” she says.
“You’re right… But now we have bigger problems to worry about now, and Whitley isn’t exactly the most trustworthy human being.” I try to explain to her.
“What about mom?” She asks.
“Mom is the most trustworthy person in the entire world but sadly she won’t be coming with us..” I say gently. I mean is it a bad thing? If she would’ve tried she could’ve came with us, we all could’ve gotten away as a family; maybe even start over.
Then it hits me. I don’t think she wanted to come with us, she knew her duty was there, at that very moment and hence… She saved our lives. Even if she didn’t, even if she ran. They would’ve easily found us… She knew exactly what she was doing, but why? As soon as we are found they’ll take us into custody, they’d make certain that our codes are in the system permanently; well... mine. I find myself staring down at my arm yet again.
“When do you get one?” she asks.
“I got mine at sixteen.” I reply. It’s better she doesn’t know.
The truth is I never truly got my code, I fell down and got a couple cuts, they should’ve grown together in the period of an hour or so but mom said I was different. I wanted to get the code desperately, to show my friends at school; but my mother told me no. That the blood test would be altered and the blood types wouldn’t match. She said they’d take me from her, that I’d go to prison but I know better… If they found out, I’d be taken to the ash and rubble from the aftershock of the rebellion long ago either to be either beaten brutally and left to fend for myself; or killed on the spot.
The reality is there is no “how dare they?” It’s law.
Any moraless (or those without codes) must be executed. It’s unfit, and unfair. The moraless could walk around freely until they are found, when they are found it doesn’t matter who they are or what they do; they’ll be executed. It serves as a reminder I guess, a reminder that all the moraless are lost causes, that should feel guilty for not turning ourselves in. Some do, but that doesn’t stop all of us. Others play the dangerous game; the more challenging game with the most meticulous and precise paths it’s surreal. We keep firearms under our clothing and in our shoes, we have contacts that are in the coded system as different (safe) identities, and keep bandanas with acids infused into the fabrics to use in our darker hours. I had to learn to think on my feet and lie extremely well, technically speaking the moraless are entitled to a trial, they rarely receive one though. The law says society must receive at least the choice for a trial to take place, but they don’t classify us as part of society.
The coded lose many, many things but are said to gain much more. In the coded system, each person is assigned a job. Some are music or art, others are engineering and physics….
I break from my thoughts hearing barking in the distance, they released the dogs.
    “Run, now.” I yell at Adaline and we sprint. We sprint down the street, around the corner, past the movie theater and an insane amount of stores. The barking becomes louder and louder, almost louder than the sound of my heart thumping through my chest. We both are panting yet I look around and spot a gate, she nods quietly and I boost her on my shoulders and over the fence. I follow quickly but spray the desensitizers around. I hug the gate to my chest and swing my torso up over it. I jump down, realizing how bad my judgment was, there’s a wall, another wall and about a foot or two of space to be hidden. Without thinking I push Adaline into the corner and force myself to make a shield in front of her. The dogs are around the fence now, they sniff around obviously confused. Good. I think. Yet to my luck I find myself staring him in the eye or rather, he stares me in the eye. I’m not sure if he sees my fear or knows that i’m innocent yet he doesn’t bark… He just paws at his nose almost to say, “Your secret is safe with me.”