Chapter 11: Hello, Goodbye

~Paul's~

I walked to school by myself that morning, for whatever reason George hadn't met up with me, it was rare when John was on time, and Mike walked to school with his mate Calvin. This gave me time alone with my thoughts.

So, I'm queer. I think I'm dating a teddy boy, but God knows. My Dad was away in Scotland for a few days, which was nice. I liked not having to worry about Mike. I had stopped worrying about myself a long time ago, though. When I arrived at school, nobody was there. I stood in the hallway, shocked. What day was it? Was I really that early? "PAUL!" I heard from around the corner. My eyes widened, but I didn't move.

"PAUL! PLEASE HELP ME!" I heard again. It was John. "PAUL! PLEASE!" Suddenly he limped around the corner, covered in blood. I tried to speak, I tried to move, but I couldn't. It was as though my feet were cemented to the ground, and my vocal chords had vanished. "PAUL!" John's voice became more desperate. My Dad ran around the corner toward John. I was paralyzed. I couldn't move, I couldn't help John.

My eyes shot open and I sat up quickly. Thank God it was only a dream. John sat up quickly and wrapped his arms around me. "Are ye okay?" He whispered as he pulled me close to his chest. I nuzzled into his chest and sniffed, trying to keep myself from crying. "You don't have t'tell me. Just know you're safe.." John mumbled as he began stroking my hair. I had never felt this comfortable in my life. "Paul, m'love..." He tried to move me so he could see my face. I shook my head, not wanting him to see my damaged, tear stained face. "Macca... Let me see yer face.." John pleaded. I finally gave in and looked up at him. "So y'can see my bruised, smashed up, crying face?" I whispered as I leaned my forehead against his. "No. So I can see you." John pulled his head away from mine and lifted my chin with his index finger. I watched him examine my face. The cuts and bruises. His hand began rubbing my side, where my cracked rib was. I closed my eyes and soaked in this moment with him. "Now, m'love, we have t'go t'school..." John began to say, before I cut him off by pressing my lips against his lightly. He sighed and smiled into the kiss. His head snapped back and his eyes changed. They had love in them, and now they looked angry. "John..." I began. The voices must have been there.

John close his eyes and took a deep breath. "Stop." He whispered under his breath. I began to try and stand up to leave the room, to give him some space, when his eyes shot open and he stood up and helped me up. "M'sorry..." John said quietly as he pulled me up. I smiled and kissed his cheek lightly. "Thanks for your help." I said as I began to change clothing. "Paul, as much as I wanted to walk ye' t'school, I have to go home. Mimi will be worried, plus me glasses are there. Not gonna learn much without em, now am I?" John said, obviously a little nervous about my reaction. "Yeah, ye best be off." I mumbled as I turned around to see him walking out the door. "Until next time, m'love." John said, and then he was gone. I listened to every step he took right up until I heard the front door open, and close quietly. I sighed to myself. Walking was a task now that my rib was cracked, getting to school was going to be a task, but the biggest task of them all was going to be explaining everything to George.

I slowly waddled my way down the stairs and into the kitchen to make myself a tea. I still had sometime before I needed to start walking. It was nice that I could sit at the table with a tea and a cigarette. My Dad smoked in here so much that he wouldn't notice if I had. Oh god, my Dad. What if he found out I had been snogging a lad? Worse, what if he found out I was in love with a lad? I shook my head as I took a long drag of my cigarette. That was definitely something I shouldn't worry myself with.

I jumped, suddenly my house phone was ringing. I stood up and slowly made my way over to pick up the receiver.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Paul? It's Auntie."

"Hello, Auntie."

"Paul, I've got to talk to you about something."

~John's~

I went home and got ready as quickly as possible, hoping to leave for school before Mimi woke up. I put my glasses on and ran down the stairs toward the door. "John Lennon!" Shit, she was awake. "Yes Mimi?" I walked into the kitchen with a fake smile. "Is that Paul lad okay? You didn't call last night y'know. You best be going to school." She scolded. "Woah, woah Mimi. Calm down. Paul is okay. M'sorry fer not calling. M'on me way t'school now." I mumbled, grabbing an apple off of the table and walking toward the door. "See ye later!" I walked out the door. If I walked fast enough, maybe I could meet Paul at his place before he leaves.

I was going to tell him I wanted to start a band. George could play with us, too. Just need a drummer.

Lucky day indeed for me, this was. Paul was just walking out of his front gate when my eyes caught him. "McCartney!" I shouted, fastening my pace. He looked at me and smiled lightly, hell, I wanted to kiss him right there in the middle of the road.

"How was yer mornin'?" I asked, slowing down to his pace. He was mopey. But, then again, if I were him I'm sure I would be too. "Alright. Your's?" He was short and sweet.

"My mornin' was splendid, Macca! I woke up next to this fine young princess. Had a lovely chat with me Auntie, ate a nice fresh apple for brekkie, and now I'm walkin' with a fine young princess, about to light meself a ciggie!" I got very giddy. Shut the hell up. You talk too much. I pulled out two cigarettes, lit them both at once and handed one to Paul.

Once we arrived at school, I walked Paul to his locker. I stood at mine, and casually watched him and George. George had been waiting for him, obviously unaware of the incident that happened with his rib and all that, George looked extremely distraught when he laid eyes on his best friend. "Paul?!" He grabbed Paul's shoulder and twisted him so George could get a better look. "Why didn't you call?" George asked. Because his very queer friend was there to the rescue. Yer a bloody dumb cunt, y'know John? "I'm sorry, George." Paul sighed and kept his head down. What would it take for him to stop fucking looking down at the ground all the time when he's nervous? It drove me nuts. I liked to see his eyes. "Don't apologize, Paul.." George shook his head. They began to speak quieter now and I couldn't hear, which also drove me nuts. I watched them walk away to class, and I discreetly followed and sat down behind Paul. I took a scrap piece of paper and began to draw nonsense and doodles. I began to write, too.

Love, love me do

You know I love you

I'll always be true

So please

Love me do

I smiled at the small piece of poetry. I slipped it into Paul's bag and smiled smugly to myself, he would love finding that later on. Maybe I could make him smile without even being there.

The day dragged on, and felt gloomy. But when I was standing outside smoking and Paul emerged from the doors of the school and looked at me, it was almost as though he was the sunlight. Everything around him became blurry and I saw nothing but him. I stared for what was probably too long. "Good afternoon, aren't you a sight for sore eyes." I grinned at him and handed him a cigarette. "Lovely mood you're in today, aren't ya?" Paul half chuckled as he lit his ciggie. "May I walk you home?" I asked, poshly and mockingly. Paul smirked, raised an eyebrow at me and nodded. "I hope you're ribs doin' better m'love." I said as we began walking. "Mm, not too much better. 'Least I can walk, y'know." It was nice to hear Paul seeing the positive in a shitty situation. He sees nothing but shit in you, Lennon.  "Aw, it'll go away sooner or later. I'll help."

"John--" Paul began to say as we stopped in front of his house. I cut him off, needing to get this thought off my mind before I forgot and left.

"Oh Paul! I wanted t'mention t'ya. We've gotta start a band, mate. You, me, yer mate Harrison! Then, really all we need is a drummer--"

"John--"

"Which I'm sure wouldn't be too hard to find. Drums are easy, y'know?" I kept rambling.

"JOHN!" Paul stood right in front of me and stopped. I tilted my head. "Me Auntie from Scotland, called this morning." Paul began.

"And?" I asked.

"I'm moving to Scotland."

What did I tell ya? Everyone leaves, John.