Chapter 3 - I Should Have Known Better

A/N: I've posted up to chapter 11 on tumblr already, so I'll post them all here now :) this is a very short chapter, but as I said you'll be getting all my updates today.

~Paul's~

I pretty much had no idea what was going on. All I knew, was that John found out about my dad. I was extremely embarrassed John saw me the way he did, but I was also extremely relieved he was there. George was keeping Mike occupied and John was still sitting on my bed with me. "H-how'd y'know to come?" I asked, weakly. John didn't reply, he just kept his eyes on me and shook his head. I could only see out of one eye. "Bloody hell, I've got a headache. You should go, John..." I mumbled and tried to roll away from him. I don't want this kind of attention from John, I have been fine and have managed on my own up until now and I can continue that way.

I felt John's weight lift off my bed, followed by my door shutting. I hated myself for making him leave, I know he was just trying to help.

---

"PAUL MCCARTNEY GET OUT OF BED!" I felt my arm being shaken by a small hand. "Paul you're gonna be late for school!" Mike's little voice told me. I nodded my head and kicked my blankets off. I stretched and shuffled my way to the bathroom, my feet had never felt so heavy. I stared into the mirror - what a mess my face was. Both of my eyes were open, thankfully, but I was very badly bruised. I shrugged it off and got dressed for school. I rushed my way down the stairs, in hopes of having time for a cup of tea before catching the bus. My Dad was sitting at the table. I stopped dead in my tracks. Mike was standing in the door way, ready to leave, but I could feel his concerned eyes on me. "Good morning, James." Dad grunted. "M-morning da'.." He barely heard me. I grabbed my books off of the counter and rushed out the door. "GOODBYE TO YOU TOO, YE FAT GIT!" My father yelled down out the doorway as Mike and I ran down the sidewalk to the bus stop.

"Are you going to be ok, Paul?" Mike questioned, obviously focused on how damaged my face was. I nodded. "What if people ask?" Mike kept questioning. "I'm gonna keep me head down, Mikey. Don't chya worry about yer big brother, ye hear?" Mike agreed and we sat on the bus in silence.

~John's~

I stood staring into my locker for a good ten minutes waiting to see if Paul was going to show up for school. When he did, my heart nearly stopped. He looked horrible, I just wanted to help him..

Paul walked in with his head down, and George close to his side. At least he wants George around. I thought to myself, selfishly. I was being fairly selfish about the whole situation, though. When Paul told me to leave his house, I was mad. I wanted to yell at him because all I wanted to do was help. I wanted to hold him again.. My heart racing, I glanced at George and Paul. Paul didn't look away from the ground, but as they walked by George gave me a very subtle nod. I waited a few seconds before closing my locker and following behind them from a short distance. I tried to listen to their conversation, but I honestly don't think they were having one.

I don't remember anything from our first period class. I stared at Paul for most of it, and for the rest I doodled nonsense in my notebook. The drawings were only done so that people wouldn't notice me staring at Paul. When the bell rang, I noticed Paul get up as quickly as possible and bolt from the room. Had he noticed me looking at him? Was he okay? I made quick eye contact with George "Harrison?"

The teacher interrupted, "Can I see you a minute?" George agreed, and motioned his head in the direction that Paul went. I nodded and followed Paul. The bell for second classes had already rang, so the hallways were empty. Maybe he was in the bathroom?

I opened the door and quickly lit a cigarette. I took a quick look around and saw nothing. I leaned against the counter for a moment, before hearing someone gagging in the farthest stall. "McCartney?" I hoped for his sake that it wasn't him. But I was relieved when he came out of the stall and acknowledged me. "Lennon." He nodded and proceeded to wash his hands and face. "Got a ciggie for us, lad?" Paul's eyes were still watery. I handed him a smoke and lit it for him. I noticed him avoiding the mirrors completely. "S'not that bad, mate.." I said quietly. He looked up at me, and laughed, "Not that bad, eh... It's pretty bad when the teachers don't even think twice when they see me with a bloody fucked up face. Not that bad..." Paul kept sarcastically chuckling to himself as he shook his head.

I just wanted to help him.