28

i woke up slowly and saw Tyler staring at the ceiling.

"hey what are you doing up?" i asked and he shrugged weakly. i frowned.

"not sure, just thinking,"

"about?"

"the dreams,"

"yeah?"

"they're all coming true. first it was me running away, then my siblings, and now," he met my face, "me."

i could see on his face he knew it was coming soon. he was so skinny, no matter how much he ate he just threw it right back up. his stomach wouldn't tolerate it. his face was pale and hollow, and his eyes were emotionless. dark, black, deep seas of emotion in his eyes. and he was in so much pain. he's always constantly wincing or groaning, or sometimes crying from it being too much.

i sighed thinking about all of it and he scrunched his eyebrows, "what's wrong?"

"nothing, i'm just worried for you,"

"did the doctor say something? about the surgery?"

i paused then nodded slowly as he motioned for me to continue with a small nod of his own.

"it's just..i don't know how to say it,"

he stared as he waited for an answer. i sighed, "the surgery didn't go as planned and they're going to still continue with treatment," i paused, "but they don't know how much longer you have," i finished quietly.

he doesn't say anything but i could see him deflate in his spot. i frowned and whispered, "i'm sorry."

he shook his head, "its fine, Josh."

i grabbed his hand, "let's make these last few days worth it. i know we aren't allowed to leave and you can't leave your bed unless you have to, but we can still act like the high schoolers we are."

he smiled. and i don't mean the "i'm-in-pain-right-now" smile or the "this-is-my-fake-smile" smile. i mean a genuine smile that i haven't seen in a long time, or ever since he went down this hole. i smiled back and leaned close to connect his lips with mine.

they were pretty chapped, but i didn't mind. i missed him too much to care.