Chapter 21 : The Charlatan *

Melanie

Three weeks.

It's been three weeks that I've been stuck between these four depressing pale blue walls. Today was the day here and I'll finally be able to leave then get back to uni, all that is left is pacientes to spare until Vitani and Yovann to come get me. Oh gosh, just thinking of all the assignments I've missed these past three weeks makes me cringe.

Speaking of cringeworthy topics, after the day doctor Stanford attended me she never showed up again. Perhaps the patient files got mixed up and she grabbed mine by accident then noticed her mistake because she was replaced by a different doctor named Dr. Crawford.

"Alright," nurse Phillips takes off the cast from around my forearm with care and throws in the disposal bin. She then helps me off the bed after I was done dressing myself in normal clothes, finally ridding myself of that hideous hospital gown. My fractured rib cage was pretty much healed at this point and so was my forearm, but my wrist really got smushed and if I would've landed in a different position I could have completed broken the bone there, so nurse Phillips advised me to keep the cast around my wrist for at least one more week and I'll be fine after that.

"You're all ready to go back home." She smiles small, trying to be happy for me finally recovering but I can see she's a little mournful about letting me leave.

"Thank you so much." I return her a genuine smile as I wrap my arms around her to show just as much gratitude I have for her, still making sure to be careful where I place my arm. She took care of me for the past three weeks and I couldn't have chosen anyone more caring than her, even though she barley knew me. She has a good, caring heart.

"Oh, no problem, dear. I'm so happy you're better now." With a big smile she eventually lets go of me and guides me out of the room which was something that oddly felt so relieving.

Ever since I been stuck in that room for nearly a month as if I were handicap nurse Phillips always brought me my food, my medicine and helped me into the bathroom which was connected to the room, therefore I could never find an excuse to leave that distressing atmosphere until now. And gosh did it feel great to not have a limited space to walk on.

"He's expecting you out in the waiting room. Bye dear." She says and walks away.

In a pair of worn out converse, a white t-shirt and jeans, I walk into the waiting area expecting to see Vitani and Yovann signing me out the hospital. Instead, an all too familiar tall man comes into view. He wears his usual dark suit and tie, showcasing his overwhelming wealth just by wearing a brand name black and white suit. Gosh, why does he always look so expensive?

I watch him scribble down his signature with such simplicity on the paper attached to an ebony wooden clipboard before letting the blue pen fall from his digits. I had a feeling that from the corner of his eye he had already noticed me considering I had made an abrupt stop when I spotted him, however, his eyes still twinkle for a split second when he finally gets a chance fully see me.

I gradually make my way over to him where I seem to become more shorter because I'm use use to wearing taller and nicer shoes whenever I'm with him, but I still find our six inches of height difference quite amusing...in a strangely good way.

"Where's Vitani and Yovann?" I ponder quizzically, preying silently that perhaps he brought them along with him in one of his many other vehicles so I wouldn't have to be stuck alone with him again.