"I do not understand where I went wrong," she said.

His nose flared and he took deep breaths. "The arrow that was aimed for your heart, the one Ophra took was poisoned and Ophra died this morning!"

She stood pushing the chair back. Her hands fell lifelessly on her sides and her eyes widened. Ophra, one of her protectors had passed away.

"Ophra died?" Estelle asked, her voice barely above an octave.

"Yes." Commander Rhisiart's eyes never fleeted away from her.

"Ophra," Piroska whispered as she slouched on her chair her face frozen.

She glided her sight to Commander Rhisiart's blue eyes to find it weary. His anger was not directed towards her.

Cahira gulped. "What poison?"

"Sezan," he whispered.

"Sezan?" Nishan's voice rose. "No one knows how to make it. The knowledge died years ago!"

"Seems like someone had brought it back," Piroska said bitterly.

"I am sorry for your loss, Piroska," Commander Rhisiart said. "Ophra Dalar was your family friend. Since she has no surviving family, her funeral is upon you."

"Rafela Felicia was not able to do anything?" Estelle asked, biting her inner cheeks.

"She was not." He hung his head. "Ophra was already gone. The moment the poison touched her blood, she passed away."

"At least she died on her duty," Piroska whispered hoarsely. "As her replacement, let Nishan serve. Though he is a male, I am quite sure he would never see you in any other way."

Nishan nodded. "I would never, general. In addition, I might be closer with my sister."

"A female heir never gets a male as her protector," Commander Rhisiart said slowly, pausing for every word uttered.

"I... I cannot see her like a man sees a woman," Nishan started. "Nor any gender with a sexual attraction. But I can be platonically involved and... I can love or be affectionate with people, just that it cannot be romantic. I know. My family hates me for that."

Commander Rhisiart maintained his silence. His words stunned her. Or rather his stark boldness. If she was in his place, she would not have survived the words of the society. Half the sand in the hourglass slipped through the small hole before he started speaking.

"Please do not judge me harshly," Nishan begged. "I already have a lot of people who hates me for not marrying. Only Taryn here knows. I cannot..."

"We are not judging you, son." Commander Rhisiart sighed. "I was just thinking whether you would take Ophra's post well. I do not mean to treat you ill."

"Training starts at five in the morning," Estelle stated crisply. "I want you to be there, Nishan. The first male protector. Welcome."

Nishan gave them a small smile as he sought her eyes.

Cahira felt her cheek muscles stretch and raise. "I have no objection. Taryn or Sefine will fill you what to do."

The silent protector nodded and resumed to play with the edge of the blade. Her nod was to show she was listening to the conversation the entire time.

"Happy, Commander?" Cahira turned to face her sixth commander. "I have my five protectors."

"Very much," he replied. "Piroska, if you will."

Her eldest protector stood and followed Commander Rhisiart. Death of a friend had given her a huge blow. She was not sure when Piroska would recover.