Forget Me Not

Alexander bustled around the room, shoving things in his bag. "JOHN!?"

"Yeah, babe?" His husband called from the other room. 

"Where's my laptop?" Alexander asked, wrinkling his nose and peeking in the drawers, the desk and even under their big bed. He remembered seeing it just a few hours ago, and he was about to be late...

"Alexander?" John asked. Alexander looked up from underneath the bed just in time to see John holding his laptop, his brows furrowed in a worried expression. 

"Oh!" Alexander exclaimed, kissing John on the nose. "You found it! Where?"

"Are you feeling okay, my dear? It was in your bag."

"It was?" Alexander's eyes widened. He was sure he checked in there... or did he? Everything seemed a little muddled and staticky when he tried to recall putting his laptop in his leather messenger bag. "Hmm, I guess I forgot!" He offered a reassuring smile to calm John's obvious nerves. 

It worked as John's eyes brightened and he kissed Alexander's temple. "Better go soon, Washington will throw a fit if you're late again. Bye, babygirl."

"Bye Peaches!" Alexander shouted, running out of the apartment. 

Alexander's tongue stuck out of his lips and his eyes burned with laser focus as he drafted the bill Washington wanted soon. It was late, Alexander couldn't remember what time it was. He wasn't sure if he checked it or not. No matter, Alex thought, I have to work. I gotta finish this.

Alexander nearly jumped out of his skin when he felt a hand smoothing around his shoulders. 

"Alexxxxx," the person's voice was desperate and loving. 

Alexander's breathing grew faster. Who was in his apartment? Did he leave the door open? How did this person know his name? 

Alexander shakily looked over at the hand that was now creeping its way down to Alexander's chest. There was a ring on his finger. Alexander looked down, he had an identical silver ring. He was married, it was his husband (Alex couldn't recall any memory of marriage). 

Think, Alexander demanded his mind, think goddamnit. Who are you married too?

And it really did kill Alexander, not being able to remember what should be the most important person in Alex's life. But everything was foggy, there was a blank space as he tried to recall. 

"Come to bed, sweetheart," his husband complained, a tenderness in his tired voice. "It's cold without you, Lexi."

Lexi. 

Alexander gave a sharp sigh on relief. John. He turned in his chair and never felt more relieved to see the freckled face. Quickly, Alexander pulled John's hand in his own and squeezed it tightly. 

"I will, John, let's go to bed." 

John smiled, pleased at Alexander's eagerness and willingness to comply. So much so, he cuddled into Alexander's side as they walked from Alex's home office to their master bedroom. John knew nothing of the storm inside Alexander's mind. 

Alexander entered the warm apartment to see John sitting with two men and a girl. He didn't remember ever meeting them before, perhaps they were some of John's coworkers?

"John?" Alexander asked, throwing his umbrella into the bathroom and taking off his coat. 

"Oh, Lex, you're home!" John beamed from his spot on the couch. Alexander was confused, John never acted so casual (he was dressed in their college sweatshirt and some old, faded blue jeans) around colleagues. "How was work?"