The gnashing teeth and criminal tongues conspire against the odds

But they haven't seen the best of us yet

He was gaining confidence now, his voice no longer trembling as he sang.

If you love me let me go

'Cause these words are knives that often leave scars

The fear of falling apart

And truth be told, I never was yours

The fear, the fear of falling apart

I felt my chest tighten at the lyrics.

This is gospel for the vagabonds,

Ne'er-do-wells, insufferable bastards

Confessing their apostasies

Led away by imperfect impostors

Tears were falling down my cheeks as he continued playing, there was so much emotion in his words now, and his voice was trembling again.

If you love me let me go

'Cause these words are knives that often leave scars

The fear of falling apart

And truth be told, I never was yours

The fear, the fear of falling apart

It was then I realized that maybe I had been wrong about Sherlock. Maybe this brilliant creature before me actually was, to some extent, human. I could see his shoulders trembling as he played. He was crying.

Don't try to sleep through the end of the world

Bury me alive

'Cause I won't give up without a fight

There was pause in the music and I heard him sniffle slightly before bringing his fingers back down to the ivory keys once more, this time playing with more passion than I ever thought possible from him.

If you love me let me go

'Cause these words are knives that often leave scars

The fear of falling apart

And truth be told, I never was yours

The fear, the fear of falling apart

He finished the song and let the final notes ring until they faded.

"Sherlock-"

"I am sorry John. I know I am not the most understanding of people, but I think I know what happened now."

"W-what-" He stood suddenly, stepping out from behind the piano bench and turning to face me. His eyes were red and puffy and there was moisture on his cheeks.

"I shouldn't have jumped."

"Then he would have gotten away-"

"I am not talking about today John." My whole body went cold at those words. We had never talked about this, not even when he had suddenly shown up after two years of being dead. "I should never have jumped then, and I should have contacted you." I shook my head and stepped closer to my friend. There were only a few paces between us now and I had to fight every fibre of my being to not wrap my arms around him and hold him.

"Sherlock-"

"Moriarty was going to kill you and I had to stop him." He was babbling now and I couldn't help but smile. He continued talking endlessly, barely stopping to breathe as he spilled all of the words he must have been thinking these past years. "I couldn't stand watching the man I love marry someone else-"

"What did you just say?" My stomach clenched at his words. I saw him freeze, his cheeks and neck taking on a red tint. He stumbled over his words and something clicked in my mind. All the old thoughts I used to have regarding my flatmate came flooding back. Sherlock loved me. I loved him. I had repressed those feelings when I met Mary, but now it seemed they had found their way back to the surface and I had no intention of stopping them. I closed the distance between us and wrapped my arms around my slender friend, pulling him in for a tight hug. He squeaked at the contact, tensing under my embrace. Soon enough he returned the hug and suddenly the world felt right.

"Sherlock, I am so sorry, I should have done this a long time ago, but I- I thought-" I felt cold fingers lifting my chin and I found myself looking into the eyes of the greatest man I ever knew. He leaned down and pressed his lips against mine in a soft kiss. It was brief and gentle, but it set my whole body on fire.

"So I guess I should have sung for you a long time ago." Sherlock whispered, sending both of us into a fit of giggles. He stepped away and held me at arm's length, studying my face. "John, I am a terrible human being, but I have been told that it is you that makes me better. I know I am hard to live with, and I know you have concerns about homosexuality, but would you be willing to give this a try? Whatever the hell this is." I nodded, a huge grin splitting my face as he pulled me back in. "I can't promise I will be the best companion ever, as you obviously are well aware I am not well versed in the area of human emotion. However, I will try my hardest to be everything you need me to be. I will read all the books and do all the research-" I cut him off with a soft kiss.

"Shut up you git." I laughed resting my head against his chest and listening to his heart beating wild against his ribs.

"I love you John Watson,"

"I love you to Sherlock Holmes, now, will you sing for me again?" He laughed and pulled away from me, pressing his lips to my forehead and turned to face the piano. He played for me long into the night; his deep voice eventually lulled me to sleep, where I found comfort in dreams of Sherlock's touch.