Chapter Ten

Aria's POV
We spent the rest of the walk to the coffee shop in a comfortable silence. We shared the occasional glance at each other. I could tell he was deep in thought about something. I knew he was curious about my past and I was reluctant to tell him anymore for fear of scaring him off completely. However he had just told me that he really liked me, and I felt the same. I felt I could trust him with my deepest darkest secrets. But I couldn't help but feel a bit doubtful. Not of Ashton, but of me. Why would a guy like Ashton like me? I don't exactly have the model looks that most men would go for. It was almost like a dream to me. Ashton Irwin my biggest inspiration in life, liked me? It just doesn't make sense and yet I could see so much truth in his eyes. Along with a pain of his own. It was obvious to me that he must have had something happen in his past that broke his heart.

We ordered our drinks and panini's and took our seats at the back of the shop. Ashton was still deep in thought. 

'What are you thinking about?' I asked. 

'Oh, sorry. It's nothing, don't worry about it.' Ashton hesitated. 

'Well actually I was just wondering, how anyone could leave someone as beautiful, kind and caring as you, in so much pain.' he continued. 

'How do you know...' I started a little taken aback. 

'Because I can see that you find it hard to trust me, and that's okay. I understand, I know I need to earn you're trust. Just know that I never will do anything to hurt you.' He said seriously. I could tell he wasn't lying. 

'I trust you completely Ash. It is not a nice story to tell. I'm terrified that it will scare you off.' I explain. 

'Aria, you could never do that.' he said softly. I took a minute to think how to start.

'Cory was my ex boyfriend. We met when he came into the studio about 5 years ago now, to lay down some drum tracks. He soon became a regular, doing drum work for different artists. After about a week he asked me on a date. He was one of the most caring people you could ever meet. Always put everyone else first. I fell for him almost instantly. He became quite close to Theresa as well. They became best friends. Anyway what not many people know about me is i've struggled with depression in my past. As has Doug and after our relationship ended I found out, so did Cory. I had managed to pick myself up around the time Cory came into my life. Stephen's death had hit me, Doug and Theresa hard. We all knew it was a possibility when he went to fight. You stay positive and hope for the best because otherwise you drive yourself insane with the worry. After he died that's when I first started.' I took a deep breath, this was it no going back. I slowly lifted the sleeves of my long sleeved shirt.

Ashton's POV
She slowly lifted the sleeves of her long sleeved shirt. I couldn't believe my eyes. Right there on her wrists were several deep cuts. They had healed as much as possible but they were still very much visible. I suddenly realized I had stopped breathing, I think she noticed too because she was looking at me with a worried look on her face, waiting for my reaction. Her eyes were weak and I could see that she thought I was judging her. I gently took one of her hands in mine, I turned it over and kissed her wrist. She blushed and smiled weakly as a silent tear fell down her cheek. I pulled her close to me and gave her another kiss on the top of her head. 

'Thank you for not judging me' she mumbled quietly into my chest. 

'How could I judge you when I've done the same thing.' I replied lifting up one of my sleeves to reveal the faint marks on my arm. As I did she brought my wrist to her lips. She took a deep breath, as I smiled weekly at her and waited for her to continue. 

'As I was saying that started after Stephen died, but we all came together and built each other back up again. It all fell apart for me, Doug and Cory too when Terri died. I blamed myself for the car crash, it happened when I wanted picking up from work one night. She was on her way to get me and... she never made it.' she whispered tears cascading down her face. After she died everything fell apart, I would sit usually in the bathroom most nights and hurt myself. I'd come home from work and find Cory asleep on the sofa smelling of alcohol. He wasn't the only one struggling with a drinking problem. Doug had turned to the drink to. Eventually his bandmates realised what was going on and had an intervention. They took Dougie to rehab where he done a 6 week plan and he has been sober ever since. I'm so proud of him.' She smiled. 'What about you and Cory?' I asked sheepishly. 

She paused to think 'Well Cory never could get away from the alcohol and it also soon turned to drugs, which I never found out about until nearer the end. One night I came home slightly later then usual because I went out with Kate after work for a coffee. I couldn't stay out too much later because Doug was coming over. When I got home Cory was fuming, accused me of cheating. He started shouting and hitting me. He wouldn't stop and he was much bigger then me and I couldn't get him off. Part of me didn't want to because I felt I deserved it, but I was scared at what would happen to Doug if I wasn't around. He just sorted himself out. Luckily Doug turned up 10 minutes after I got home and pulled him off me. I'm scared to think of what would of happened if Doug hadn't have turned up. I think he would've killed me.' She trailed off, shaking at the memory. I looked at her in shock and disbelief.

After a long silence while I was trying to digest the information, she suggested that we head back to the studio. I looked at my watch which read '12:45' and agreed. We both made our way to the door of the coffee shop. 

'I told you it wasn't a nice story' she said. 

'I just can't believe how any person could treat another human like that let alone you.' I replied still shocked. 

'I've learnt not to dwell on it too much. After Doug took me to the hospital where of course they found out I was cutting. Doug suggested going on a treatment programme, which I did. I haven't cut for coming up two years. I've got you to thank for that. I read the story about the butterfly. That's how I found out about you guys. I haven't stopped listening to your music ever since. You saved my life Ashton.' She said proudly. 

'Two years, that's amazing. I'm glad I could help, but you got through because you are stronger then you think.' I smiled. She smiled back. 

'It would've been longer, but when I left Cory spent a few months trying to convince me to go back to him. I nearly did too, but Doug stopped me. I then decided in order to move on it was time to cut off all ties, a few weeks later I heard he committed suicide.' 

Another tear fell down her beautiful face. I've seen too many of them, she deserves so much happiness, especially after everything she has been through. I pulled her in to hug her again. A few minutes later we saw the recording studio come into view. 

'Can I see you again?' I asked. 

'If you really want to, I mean I would love to see you.' She blushed. 

'Then that settles it, I will give you a call and we can arrange it' I smile cheesily. We carried on walking until she suddenly stopped. 

'What's wrong?' I asked concerned. 

'Nothing's wrong, it's just.... thank you for listening to me and not judging me' she said sincerely. I pulled her into me and wrapped my arms around her. I rested my chin on her head, I haven't felt this happy in a long time. I pulled away causing her to look up. We stood there looking into each others eyes for a while before I gently placed a kiss on her lips.