Chapter Three

Calum's POV
It has been two month since Paisley ended her and Ashton's relationship. He still wasn't in good shape. He was still staying with Michael and hadn't been home since the break up. In fact he had rarely left Michael's apartment, unless we had a gig and even then he wasn't playing his best. It's not like the crowd noticed but as his best mates and band mates we knew. He wasn't sleeping properly. Luke and myself had stayed a few nights at Michael's to help him out with Ash. Luke was given the guest room next door to Ashton's to stay in. It was the rooms they were in were originally one rom that was split in half, so this meant the walls weren't very thick. Luke says he heard Ashton crying himself to sleep most nights he was there. Luke had taken to staying up until he thinks Ashton had finally fallen asleep. He can't bare to hear him like that, none of us can. Of course he has had times in the band where he hasn't been great. But he always put on a mask and since the band had hit the big time he has always been the joker, the one who knew how to pick us up when we were down. Now he was down, we were clueless.
I could hear Ashton strumming a few chords on a guitar he had borrowed from Michael. So I thought I would go up and see if he was okay. 'Hey Ash, you okay?' I ask, 'Normal. You come to check on me?' Ashton replied sarcastically. 'I just wanted to make sure you were okay mate. We haven't seen much of you lately. Thought you might want some company.' I suggested while looking around and seeing his notepad placed next to him on the bed with a few scribbles on. 'What are you working on?' I asked as I picked up the notepad to take a closer look. 'Nothing much i've had this melody in my head for the past few days. Can't seem to find the right lyrics to go with it.' he explained. 'I've got the chorus I think, i'm just struggling with the verses.' he finished. 'Okay then, show me what you've got for the chorus then.' I encouraged. 'Um okay but it's not great' he replied. He cleared his throat and positioned himself so he could see his notes and strum his guitar.

'I remember the day you told me you were leaving,
I remember the make up running down your face,
And the dreams you left behind you didn't need them,
Like every single wish we ever made'

He paused tears rolling down his face.
'Keep going Ash it sounds great' I said.

'I wish that I could wake up with amnesia,
And forget about the stupid little things'

A few more tears cascade down his face but he takes a deep breath and carries on regardless.

'Like the way it felt to fall asleep next to you,
And the memories I never can escape,
Cause I'm not fine at all'

Ashton finished singing and wiped his face with the back of his hand where the tear had fell. There was silence in the room before I managed to say anything. 'Ash, that was incredible. You have to finish the song, we need to finish the song, if you'd like me to help. What have you got for the verse?'. I ask eagerly.

Ashton's POV
I finished singing the chorus of my unfinished song. Silence fell over the room until Calum nearly burst with excitement. 'Ash, that was incredible. You have to finish the song, we need to finish the song, if you'd like me to help. What have you got for the verse?'. I started strumming the chords I had written down for the verse and started to sing the few lines of the lyrics I was currently working on.
'I drove by all the places we used to hang out getting wasted,
I thought about our last kiss how it felt, the way you tasted,
And even though your friends tell me you're doing fine.'
I stopped to think what would go well next.
'Okay I don't know if you'll like it but what about, Are you somewhere feeling lonely even though he's right beside you.' Calum said looking a bit sheepish.
'That's perfect Cal' I exclaimed, still feeling the pain in my chest at thought that she is with someone else.
'When he says those words that hurt you, do you read the ones I wrote you.' I sang.
I paused again to think. Then is came to me.
Strumming the chords on my guitar I slowly sang.
'Sometimes I start to wonder was it just a lie?.'
As I sang Calum grabbed the notepad and started writing everything that was coming out of my mouth.
'If what we had was real how could you be fine,
Cause I'm not fine at all'
(Fast forward an hour later and Calum has Ashton showing Michael and Luke the new song.)

'The pictures that you sent me, there still living in my phone,
I'll admit I like to see them.
I'll admit I feel alone,
And all my friends keep asking why I'm not around,
It hurts know you're happy,
Yeah it hurts that you've moved on,
It's hard to hear your name when I haven't seen you in so long,
It's like we never happened, was it just a lie?
If what we had was real how could you be fine,
Cause I'm not fine at all.
I remember the day you told me you were leaving,
I remember the make up running down your face,
And the dreams you left behind you didn't need them,
Like every single wish we ever made,
I wish the I could wake up with Amnesia,
And forget about the stupid little things,
Like the way it felt to fall asleep next to you,
And the memories I never can escape,
Cause I'm not fine at all.'

I finished singing and looked up to see three grinning faces. 'Oh my God! That is amazing. You should get your heartbroken more often.' Michael joked. I looked at him, he suddenly looked worried.
'Sorry mate, too soon' he said apologetically.
'It's fine, honestly I think i'm slowly beginning to feel better. It hit me like a ton of bricks when I read the paper the other morning and saw her with someone else. I know she said there was someone but to actually see it.... I think that's where the inspiration came from. I'm nowhere near fixed but i'm slowly getting there.' I smiled weakly.
'Obviously the song itself needs more work but I'm quite pleased with it' I continued. 'Good for you mate. She might have found her 'happiness' but you will find yours too don't worry.' Michael reassured.