Chapter 32

Chapter 32

She can only take so much, she has been bottling her emotions, she is about to break. This is the calm before the storm.

Lucas drives me to the organization building, flying past cars, cutting off anyone he could, and drove at least fifteen miles over the limit─ if not more. All the while he was contacting people I don't know, talking to whoever called in a short, clipped tone. It was the most serious I've ever seen him apart from the confrontation with Thomas, but I know in the back of my head that it's for the better. He's trying to save my best friend's life.

He called Harry as we left the flat, though he still didn't talk to me about anything Harry may have said. Lucas did say that "she" was alright, and snapped his fingers at me when I asked who "she" is. I know he was referencing to me, though.

Of course Harry would be worried about me, knowing Evan could come for me anytime.

"So," Lucas says, breaking me from my thoughts. "Harry's going to meet us at the building, along with everyone else. I've got eyes on Evan and Jess, and even though they aren't together as of now, that could change quickly." He gives me a side glance with a blank face and whitening knuckles.

"So, what am I suppose to do?" I don't recognize my own voice.

"Usually we don't associate with people from the outside in things like this, but in your case...well, you're basically on witness protection right now."

"And what does that mean?"

"It means Evan wants to get to you. Shay. The only reason Evan wants Jess is for leverage, really. He knows it'll get to you since she's your friend. And if Evan can get to you, he can get to Harry." He pauses. It's the kind of pause that someone gives when they don't want to say something, but he does anyways. "And if Evan can get Harry, he can take down the whole organization."

***

Harry lifts me into his arms, hugging me tightly to him, and his face goes straight to my neck. It's like he can't believe it's me, not a figment of his imagination. My legs dangle and my arms wrap around his neck, tangling my digits into his pushed back curls. He embraced me from the moment Lucas parked in an empty spot and I stepped out of the car.

He sets me back on the pavement a bit too roughly, as Lucas heads inside. "Are you alright?" Harry's hands frantically from my face to my hips, touching every place he could and it still be accepted in public. "Evan didn't get to you, did he? I swear to God─"

"No," I cut him off. "I haven't seen Evan in who knows how long. I just hope Jess isn't going to get hurt."

"Hey," Harry cups my chin to tilt my head up to his. He pecks my lips for the first time since two nights ago, but they're just pecks, they can't be classified as kisses. "She'll be fine, okay?"

Harry presses his lips to mine once more. He gives me enough time to answer when he pulls away. "Okay."

And I believe him. Lucas didn't assure me that Jess would be fine, he just said that someone is watching her to make sure Evan wouldn't go near her, but I could see where things go wrong in those circumstances. Jess could walk into a building and Evan could be already waiting for her. It's not like she has a body guard that walks on her heels and watch her every move. She's going to be alone at some point, and then whoever is watching her can't do anything about it.

Stop thinking about it, Shay! My inner voice screams. She's right, I need to think positive. Positive. Positive.

I repeat the word in my mind as Harry leads me into the familiar building and up to the second floor─ the only floor that's not crowded with desk and big enough to fit almost everyone in the whole five story building.