Chapter 30

Chapter 30

That's how you know you really trust someone, I think; when you don't have to talk all the time to make sure they still like you or prove that you have interesting stuff to say.

My fingers curl and uncurl while I think it will take forever to just go up one floor.

But after the eternity of walls closing in─ or that's what it felt like to me ─and an unsettled stomach, the doors open.

And I wish they never did.

I couldn't even take on step from the threshold with stopping from the sight playing out without knowledge of my presence. Harry was against his desk with Emily in front of him on her tiptoes. Her arms are around his neck and her mouth was pressed to his. My lips part and a shaky breath emit. All I could think was "that bitch".

I have my mind set on turning around and leaving whether if I had to walk or not. The only thing that prevents me from doing exactly that is seeing Harry's hand move to Emily's hips─ that, and the lift doors moving shut. Tears prick my dry eyes.

That bas

And he forcefully pushes her back, making her stumble.

Oh.

I couldn't help the smug grin that made its way on my face watching Emily's eye host confusion. It was short lived, though, as the blonde woman finally noticed my still stiff figure not far from them. Harry followed her gaze and landed on my suddenly moving body. I didn't watch him, though. I was focused on the blonde wench that thought she could fool me. I know what she planned, what would've happened if I didn't come up here when I did. I can't say the same for Harry.

If someone asked, I wouldn't be capable of telling them what snapped inside of my head. I don't know what could've possibly possessed me in these few moments when I stride to Emily. An animalistic kind of growl passed my lips as I closed the distance between us.

I raked my square nails down Emily's blush covered cheeks. I reach out my other hand with intentions to even out the disfiguration to the other side while drops of blood rushed from the five, deep red lines that now mare her features.

But I don't make contact.

A pair of strong arms that held me on countless nights now holds me back. I feel him breathing softly by my ear, probably trying to calm me down by talking, but I don't hear his words. My face is hot with anger.

"Harry," I squirm in his hold, "let me go!"

"No way in hell, Shay."

"The bitch deserves it."

But he's already forcing me back, my feet coming away from the floor in attempts to break free and he calls for the lift. Emily just stands there, dazed.

It took no time at all for Harry to drag me into the small space of the lift and the doors separate us from the witch herself. Harry sets me in one of the back corners, standing so I wouldn't be able to move. I can smell the cologne he put on from where my nose almost touches his forearm, that's how close we were.

"What...what was that?" He comes to grips with everything that's just taken place.

"I should be asking you that," I snap back. The doors open once again and Harry pauses, looking steadily at me, before leading me by my wrist. "Where are we going?" I ask, noticing that we're in the lobby and the moon is high in the sky.

"Back to yours," he replies, holding the passenger side door open for me to step up into.     

***