Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Everything seemed to slip out of your grasp before you even got a real feel of it, falling between the gaps in between your fingers and disappear into a pool of nothingness, never to be seen again.

I slyly watch form the corner of my vision as Harry sits at the bar with the man in the suit. He keeps his word of keeping an eye on me. I pretend to be interested in m dessert, taking a few bites, but I'm trying to work through my plan, and be discreet about positioning my body to run at first chance.

I've decided that when Harry is distracted I would jump over the frail banister ─ I assume that the fall would be about six feet or so ─ and dash into the woods, then wait. I have no doubt that he'll run after me, but the sun has started to set, and it's becoming darker by the minute. The sky is a vibrate orange with a tint of purple. If I were at home, I'd sit on my window seat and watch was birds prepare their nest, and settle in. But I'm not, and I'm here with Harry; that is the opposite of my perfect night.

I'm halfway done with my cake when I look through the window once again with the feeling of being examined. I expect it to be Harry, but I'm met with hazel, not emerald, eyes. The waitress, Anna, gives me a knowing look from behind the bar, before directing her attention to Harry and his company. It took a minute to understand what she was doing. But then I realize it.

She was diverting him.

She must've known I wanted to get away from here. She knows I'm going to run when Harry least expects it. And as I come to this conclusion, my body stiffens; I wonder if I'm really going to do this. I know that I don't have much time before Harry checks in on me, so I must take action now.

Without another though, I shoot up from my chair, trying not to make any swift movements that can expose my plan, and run over to the barrier between me and the dark, unknown woodland. I don't turn around to see if Harry realizes what's going on, it would take precious time.

I swing my left leg over the rail, followed soon by the right, and the very back of my heels and hands are the only things keeping me up. I ensure that there are no rocks or sticks that may injure me when I land, and then I take a deep breath, physically and mentally readying myself for the fall. I keep my eyes open and free the rail from my grasp. It took no time to land on the balls of my feet, legs bent at the knees to absorb the impact.

My hair is messy as I push it out of my face. I'm glad I wore converses as oppose to flats or heels for the simple fact that running over leaves and broken branches will hurt much less. I stay hunched over as I run the short, open distance to the edge of the wood. Once in the foliage, I stand straighter, but slow to a job until I'm ten strides in, and press my back to the back of a tree, facing away from the restaurant. I can finally take deep, even breaths.

"I don't know! The last time I saw here, she was sitting right there."

My breathe hitches in my throat. I recognize Anna's frantic voice as I can tell she's obviously lying. I gradually turn around, still concealed, to witness a distressed Harry pacing back and forth, while pulling on the ends of his pushed back, curly hair.

"She couldn't have gone far!" He yells as he examines the area, looking for me. Eventually he scans the woods, left and right. Harry walks forward to the rail that I recently jump over, looking in my general direction. I cover myself a little more, to where only my head is peering around the bark.

He notices that the leaves shift and his eyes narrow, squinting like he was looking straight at me. I have to remind myself to stay completely still, and quite if I want to get away without Harry becoming aware of my plan.

I check my surroundings deciding which way would be the best to escape the now pitch black night. The only way I can see Harry is from the moonlight and the dim blubs of the porch. Certain features of his face are in shadows, each makes it even harder to tell his expression.

"Shay!"

My eyes widen when I realize that he's spotted me. Crap! The lump in my throat grows bigger as my breathing picks up double time. I have to move, and fast. I take a few caution steps back, crunching plants and then a stick. I stop moving and hold the gulp of air that's already in my lungs. I'm a deer in headlights when Harry easily places a hand on the rail, and pushes himself over in one fluent movement.

***

The air is thinning the fast I run through the thick foliage. I can hear the snapping of twigs behind me as Harry audible breathing is getting closer and closer. Random branches scratch me across the cheeks and forehead, catching my loose hair every few seconds. I have to be careful about foot placement due to vines and rabbit holes.

I make irregular glances behind me but only see Harry is approaching faster and closer each time.

"Stop, Shay!"

I mentally promise myself that I won't stop, not until I'm away from him. I nearly trip when a particularly strong vine caught my foot and I stumble to gain my balance. I reach out to a neighboring tree for support, but I wince when I feel the wood penetrate my skin. I feel the blood trickle down my palms with single drops hitting the ground. I feel like I may be sick from the rusty smell it omits.

I become aware that the footsteps have stopped, but I'm too scared to know why. All that I'm able to perceive is our heavy puffs and the crickets.

"What are you doing out here, Love?"

I whipped around and he's much closer than I thought; only a few feet away. He can easily reach out to grab me, and I wouldn't be able to move back fast enough. I rise to my feet slowly as he watches my every move. Harry slowly advances towards me with an outstretched hand. I take unsure steps backwards, wanting to put as much distance as I would between Harry and me. The ground beneath my feet is becoming slippery and I can feel imprints being made from the sloppy earth.

I shriek when my feet come out from under me, and I plummet to the ground. I roll once down a small hill that I didn't know was there when I ran this way. The last thing I hear is Harry's voice yelling my name before I'm submerged in water. Even though I'm finally out of reach of Harry, there is a bigger problem.

I can't swim. 

+++++

Double update tonight!!! Yay :D

Trust me these chapters will get longer in like 2 chapter soooo yeahhhh

I will love you if you VOTE, and....

WHOEVER COMMENTS WILL GET SHOUTOUTS FROM NOW ON!!!

-A xxx