Chapter 62

No tears. No tears. Don't let the tears out. Marco and I dropped Chris off at my house with my aunt.

Then he just drove me back to Stacy's. I didn't tell him I saw Jasper. I didn't talk to anyone. Not even a goodbye to Marco, I just had to get out. Wanting my sister or someone who I trusted I walked up the steps slowly and knocked on the door.

My breath began to shake. The door opened but not to Stacy, to Dustin. I didn't care. I began to cry, and just stood there. At first it looked like he didn't know what to do, but he put his arm around my shoulders and pulled me inside.

He sat me down and sat next to me. I didn't want Dustin out of place because of me. But at the time I just could not care about anyone else.

Why in the wide, wide world was he in there? I mean I knew why. He did something really wrong. That's the only reason he was there.

And Marco showed me that picture on that news website. But why? And those other kids that one time at the park.

Everything seemed ever so out of place. Why? Why? That's all I could ever ask. Why?

My life just was starting to lift towards the skies and now it was coming crashing back down. The pilot of the plane just said to abandon the plane.

Tears ran down my cheeks and i held my head in my hands. Dustin came back and handed me a wash cloth that was wet for my face. At first I just held it but then began to wipe off my cheeks.

He looked really concerned and sat down next to me. I looked over at him as the tears kept coming.

"Are you alright?" It was obvious I wasn't but I assume he just asked because it was nice to do.

I shook my head. I felt my face turn red and my chest heaved in and out. "H-he," I couldn't talk. Dustin scooted closer and put his arm around me trying to comfort me.

It was not weird or strange, he just didn't know what else to do. I turned my head back to him and he smiled in a concerned way. "Hey, it came true. You said you'd come crying one day right?" He reminded me.

I laughed for a second and then started crying again. I leaned into him and cried even harder. It felt like how my brother Chris used to be there for me. Before he got so...Like he was.

Dustin felt like a brother to me. As I cried I just let all my feelings out in tears. If he was talking I didn't know.

All I knew was that my heart was aching in a way it never had. I told Jasper I loved him. He told me that he loved me. But those posts of the girls and him, but those teenagers, and the news and whoever Abbie was? I'd always defended who Jasper was.

Always tried to make things right.

But what was this? That wasn't the Jasper I knew. Not the boy who called me sweet pea. Those posts weren't the guy I knew, either. It'd only been hardly two days since I told everyone he was my boyfriend.

What was he now? A criminal.

No, he was not. I tried to convince myself but I just couldn't. At that point all I saw was the look on his face and the way he just knew that I'd figured it out.

Those iron bars may keep people in, but they don't stop anyone's eyes. How could he do that? How could Jasper Runt, do something to get himself in there? No! He did not! That wasn't true, not real.

Jasper could never do that. Then again, I told myself that about Chris too. And look where my brother was. Did he know? Did Chris know?

Did Marco know? Who knew? I seemed to be the only one left in the dark.

Jasper was the first boy I'd met that could hear that accepted me even though I was deaf. The only one who didn't care I was deaf. He learned to sign because of me. He took me on vacation. Was it all a lie? And what about that Abbie girl that I'd kept hearing about, was she really someone involved with Jasper more than I knew?

Everyone knew something but me. I told Jasper I loved him and I meant it. I really meant it.

Every day I was with him I told myself  he was letting me live a fantasy. That Jasper made the real world fade away. How did that happen? How?

Jasper let me live a fantasy. But fantasies are stories told to children. They aren't real. I defined our times together as just that. A fantasy, a fable, a story in a children's book.

Jasper and I had a fantasy. And that's what he gave me. Something fake. For once with someone I had something I had never had with anyone else. It was like I wasn't even deaf.

To me, it was deaf defying.

...And it was all fake.