Chapter 8

I barely paid attention in Language Arts, how could I? Macy practically attacked me, and ironically nobody was there? I don't think so. Her asking about Marco sent shivers down my spine, and her threatening Janelle made me want to punch her pretty smile off her face. Sure, she was beautiful and smart. But she was also rude, manipulative, and cruel. To me the last three things are more significant than the first.

"H-hey are you okay?" I hadn't realized that Janelle was sitting behind me until she tapped me.
Yes just lost in thought. I wrote on a sticky note. Nodding her head, she sheepishly went back to listening to the teacher.
---
I assume the bell rang for second period everybody began to pack their things. I half heartedly did the same just to not be late to class. Not even caring where I was headed, I didn't look half the time until I slipped on something and went barreling backwards until I hit something solid with my back. Looking below my feet, I saw somebody's lipstick tube on the ground, and a few feet away was Blaire and her girls snickering. I saw two arms at the back of me that caught me, Marco. Turning around I began to sign but stopped. That was not Marco.

"What, am I not the prince in shining armor you were expecting?" Defiantly not Marco. For one thing, he looked different. Another thing, he spoke and even if Marco was used to speaking he wouldn't say that. Or at least not my Marco, maybe some other guy named Marco. This guy was a black haired, blue-eyed, guy. "If not, boy the guy you were expecting was a dope because I'm awesome." What a self-centered idiot. I stayed silent, not knowing whether to sign a thanks or just leave him there. "What no thank you?" He asked, making a fake pouty face.

I mouthed 'thanks' and thought I was done there, so I turned around to walk to my next class. Then I saw him walking up next to me, I just pretended he wasn't there. "Rude much?" He shouldered me lightly, still making me trip to the side but able to catch myself. I shook my head and kept walking. "What, you don't want to talk to me?" He started walking backwards in front of me so I had to listen. Dang it, deafness. Shaking my head, I gave a rude smirk.

"C'mon sugar pea, don't you have something to say?" He asked, flashing a smile. Getting fed up I ripped a piece of paper from my pocket and wrote on it, shoving it at him.

We just met so I don't want to talk to you like I know you, move on. He read it and laughed as he kept walking backwards. GO AWAY.

"Okay then, prissy pants." He held out his left hand which I just stared at. "I'm Jasper, Jasper Runt." He said, and I shook his hand but started laughing when I thought about it. "What? My name?" He asked, and I promptly nodded.

"Wow, ruder than I thought. What's your name, eh?" He began walking beside me and I let him because I had a hard time recovering from my laughter. Once I was done laughing, I shook my head at him, still not giving him the time of day. My mind was elsewhere, about Macy. "Silence is your ally, right? Right. Well silence is my enemy so if I could just no your name? I think I earned it after saving your butt back there." He folded his arms and waited for me to answer. How do I say this lightly? Um, NO.

I pointed to the piece of paper, and held out my hand. He handed it back along with a pen. I was smiling before he even read it, and I guess he knew I was up to something.

"Wow! For a girl who doesn't talk, you sure can have attitude," He snickered and shouldered me again. "I like that." What did he mean now? All I wrote was, 'don't be such a stalker and don't look at my butt or I'll kick yours.' I'll admit it was a joke but I still didn't know this guy hardly at all. So how could I just say something like, "Yo guy, I'm a deaf chick and I just had a scary run-in with my brother's EX and now you want to know about me so here's the New York Times of my life." Um, no.

"Okay, well since I don't know your name you get a famous nick name by yours truly." He smiled and gestured to himself. My eyes widened and I started waving my hands 'no' but Jasper didn't seem to care. "How about the one from earlier, Sugar Pea?" He asked and I gave him an 'are you kidding me' look. "You're right your not nice enough for that umm..." I elbowed him and narrowed my eyes. "OK, okay! How about... I don't know, let's see. Your quiet, outspoken even though you don't talk and secretive. Your a tough one to name, aren't you? For one thing you're really, really strong-willed. How about Abira?" He asked and I stopped walking. He noticed and stopped a few steps ahead of me. "what?" He asked.