Chapter 39

My eyes flickered open at the feeling of turbulence on the plane.

My head was laying on Jasper's shoulder, his head atop my own. By the looks of it his eyes were closed too, sliding to my own seat he didn't wake. Looking outside the plane window the clouds were tinted with pink and yellow from the sunrise as the wings began to dip underneath the clouds for a landing.

The 'fasten you seatbelt light' was on above  me and I debated whether to wake Jasper or not. He didn't like taking off, he might not like landing. Better to just let him rest. Taking out my phone I clicked it on and asked the flight attendant if it was okay to use the internet. With a warm smile she nodded and said only for a few more minutes.

Opening up Pinterest, which I hardly ever use, I scrolled through some recent posts. I hate social media to be honest, it's just a way for people to get popular and have loads of 'friends' or 'followers.' It's really self conceded if you ask me, except Pinterest because I mean it's really just things you want to look at. Not some way to look and compare yourself to everything other people have or are.

Plus for the record, I do not need to know what the heck somebody ate for breakfast, or if their boyfriend took them out for ice cream. If you really want others to see what you're doing, why not just tell the people in person?  This is 2016 not 3089 where everything is robotic.

Whatever I can't change anything.

The wheels of the plane had skid to the pavement and Jasper jolted awake. He gripped the armrests and looked at me with his eyes wide open. I started to giggle, while he looked at me like I was crazy. "Oh you think this is funny?" He raised an eyebrow as serious as ever. "Actually I do," I continued to giggle until the plane came to a full stop.

"Lord that was not funny." He wagged a finger in my face to make his point and I promptly flicked it away. "Ready to enter California?"
----
We pulled up the drive to a large house, on a big piece of property. The sun was shining so bright, it was probably hot enough in the car to get a tan even with the AC on. Jasper put his foot on the break and took the keys out of the ignition, turning to me.

"Well?" He said smiling before he got out of the car. Reaching from the seat I searched for my backpack that I'd brought with me, my favorite one. Sitting forward after I'd gotten my phone out of my blue jean backpack, before I could open my own door Jasper was holding it open for me.

"Thanks," I said getting out, the sun blazing against my skin. Now I know what my bread feels like in the toaster. I shouldn't have worn full jeans or the shirt I was wearing. It was obviously way too hot. Jasper opened the trunk and pulled out our small suitcases, handing me my blue one. He grabbed his black suit case and started up the driveway to the house.

It was really pretty around here, with the sun shining over everything. Jasper knocked on the door a few times, a bead of sweat running from his forehead down his cheek and off his chin. "Again, be prepared for them to be... Different..." His smirk held it all.

Before I could even think of a reply, the door swung open. "Jasper!" A fairly tall woman with gray hair pulled neatly back in a pony tail gave the warmest smile I've ever seen. Her eyes came to me and her smile only widened, which I didn't think possible. "And you're Abbie?" She asked and I gently shook my head. "Abira," I answered and she nodded her head.

"Oh that's right, I was thinking of a few years ago when you mentioned Abbie. Well welcome, Abira! I hope you'll like it here with us. You can call me Rose, if you'd like." This woman was the sweetest lady I think I've ever met. But what was that about 'Abbie'?

A man then came to the door who was slightly taller than Rose, and he too smiled at us. "Jasper, how are you son?" He asked. "Good, how's everything here?" Jasper asked and for some reason he was blushing. Nerves, maybe? "Same old, same old. Come on inside you two. And my mind forgets, you are?" The man had turned to me.

"Abira," I answered again and he nodded with a warm smile that matched Rose's. "Nick." He nodded his head at me and then disappeared somewhere into the house. "And sweetheart, just so I know not to say something wrong, you're the deaf one, correct?" Rose asked just before we walked into the house.

"Yeah, I am. But you really couldn't say something wrong. You can ask anything and stuff like that, it's my culture I shouldn't be offended."

"And you'll have to forgive me if I forget your name, sweetheart. I'll probably call you Abbie a million times." Rose tightened her ponytail and then the scent of something cooking overwhelmed my nose. It smelt delicious. "Oh, breakfast! Jasper sweetie could you get Abira situated in her room? Come down for breakfast when you can." Rose hurried through a push door, to I assume the kitchen.

Jasper took my suitcase and smiled, heading for a staircase. "Abbie?" I asked questioningly and Jasper stopped a few stairs up. He turned to me, biting his lip and nodded. "Yeah, what about it?"

"I dunno. Who is she?" I tried not to sound skeptical, even though I probably did. Jasper shrugged at me, his face completely neutral. "Somebody I used to know." At that he turned and kept up the staircase. Shrugging it off I just followed him up the stairs to the second floor of the house.

Upstairs there was a few doors to rooms, and a small seating area. Jasper pushed open a door and sat my things neatly beside a well made bed. The walls were a creamy brown color, with white curtains flowing from an open window. "It's really home-like in here," I commented as I sat down on the bed. Jasper smiled and nodded. There was something different about the way he looked around the room and out the halls.

Sometime more comfortable, yet day dreamy. Almost cosmos. "There's always something that just whispers home here." He finally spoke and sat down next to me, folding his hands and leaning forward on his knees. "You good in here? You can unpack your things in the dressers and however you like. The bathroom is the end door in this hall, my bedroom is straight across from yours."

He stood up, smiled, and walked out, shutting the door behind him. Alone in the room Jasper was right. Everything was really home-like here. Beautiful scenery, hot sun. But for some reason that Abbie thing haunted me a bit. Who was she? And why was Jasper so reluctant to talk about whoever she was? And the fact that Rose knew her irked me too. Maybe's it's just my imagination or something.

Unzipping my small suitcase I started to neatly place all my clothes into the  oak dresser. Everything here smelt nice and natural. Earthy almost. Even Rose seemed to smell like pine.

As I was packing away my clothes, I remembered how hot it was when a gust of warm wind entered through the window. Promptly closing the window and pulling together the curtains I figured it was best to put on something cooler. Before I could grab out shorts, the door pushed open slowly until Jasper appeared in it, peeking around to see me.

"Aunt Rose said that breakfast is ready, I'll be down in the kitchen if you need me." He said and I let out a sigh of relief. "Before you come in next time could you wiggle the knob?" I asked. Jasper caught  my drift for what I meant and nodded, shutting the door once more.

Walking over to the door I flipped the lock on it just in case somebody forgot. From the looks of it Jasper had already gotten changed into different clothes, but I couldn't see what. Pulling out a cooler outfit and laid it out on my bed.