Chapter Twenty Three - Betrayal and Cupcakes

"Oh, good evening Mrs. Williams, what can I get for you?" The sweet young lady behind the counter asked.

The bakery's employees knew me by name since I frequented there.

I gave the young lady a smile and looked at the glass cases that held trays and trays of little cupcakes in various colors and flavors. "Could I have one of each?"

"Of course" She gave me a broad smile then grabbed an empty box and started assembling the cupcakes inside of it.

She placed the box of cupcakes in a plastic bag and handed it to me then walked to the light pink counter as I followed. She pressed some buttons on the register then looked up at me.

"That will be thirty two dollars, Mrs. Williams." I nodded and brought out my wallet from my handbag then handed her the amount.

"Thank you." I gave her a small smile then walked out.

As I was about to open the car door I heard someone calling my name. I turned around and noticed the young woman from the bakery shop.

"Mrs. Williams." She came rushing towards me. "I forgot to give you this."

She handed me an extra cupcake in a clear plastic bag with a gold ribbon tied around it.

"Is this for me?" I asked her in confusion.

"Yes." She smiled broadly. "This is a new cupcake flavor that we have released. I'm sure the kids will love it." She gave me a sincere smile.

"Thank you." I gave her a wholehearted smile in return.

She waved her hand as if shrugging it off. "It's no problem." She then said goodbye and walked back into the bakery.

My phone started ringing as Donovan drove me back home. Checking my phone, I saw Julian's name lighting up the screen. I sighed and let it go to voicemail. Donovan looked at me from the rear view mirror and if he noticed what I had done, he didn't say anything.

"Mommy!" Lily Rose jumped at me as I arrived back home. I opened my arm to the side; afraid that she would squish the cupcakes.

"Are those the cupcakes?" Adam asked me with a grin as he walked towards me.

"Yes." I said matching his grin with one of my own.

I looked to the side and saw my mom watching us with a smile on her face.

"Hey, mom" I greeted her as I walked towards her and sat down on the sofa beside her.

I placed the cupcakes on the coffee table and watched as Adam and Lily Rose happily ripped the box open.
Adam and Lily Rose looked up at me with doe like eyes and I knew what they wanted without even having to ask for it. They weren't allowed to have sweets before they slept, but looking at them I couldn't say no. "Fine, but only one" I raised up one finger for emphasis.

"Okay." They grinned happily and each one of them grabbed one cupcake and stuffed their faces in it.

"How was your day?" I heard my mom asking me.

I turned my gaze towards her with a small smile on my face. "It was good. Busy, but good" I looked at the kids then back at her. "Did the kids give you trouble?" I asked her.

She shook her head no. "They're angels." She said then added. "Well, sometimes." She chuckled and so did I.

My mom stayed for a little while longer before she went home. I tucked the kids into bed then went to kitchen to fix myself something to eat. The doorbell rang as soon as I opened the fridge. Who would that be? I thought to myself as I closed the fridge and walked to the front door.