“Yes.”

“What do you get out of it?”

“I get you shutting up.”

“Oh! Rude!” he gasped in a girly voice.

“I’m just kidding babe. You know I love you.”

“I know. Hey so when do you think we should tell them?” he asked, his voice sounding serious.

“Tell them what?”

“You know. That we’re getting married.”

“Oh. I think we should tell them when we get back in there. While we eat ice cream.” I said as I served ice cream into all four bowls.

“You really think we should tell them today?”

“Yeah, why not? They are our moms. And besides, its not like we have to tell anyone else.”

“That’s true. Okay how should we go about it?”

“Just follow my lead.” I said.

“Okay.”

“It’ll be fine. Don’t worry.”

“Yeah I know. Just curious as to how they are going to take it.”

“Austin, it’ll be fine.” I rested my hand on his.

“You’re right you’re right.”

“Always am.” I smiled. I heard him chuckle as we walked back to the table with the ice cream. After giving everyone their bowl I took my seat next to Austin and took a bite of ice cream. I looked over at Austin and saw his knee bouncing and his hand in his lap trembling so I set my spoon down and held it in mine, squeezing it to let him know it was going to be okay. He looked down at me and gave me a soft smile before turning back to our moms.

“Mom, mom,” he said looking between the two of them “we have something to tell you.”

“What is it honey?” Michele asked.

“Its something serious.”

“Oh Austin serious, that’s never a good sign.” She said jokingly. He gave her a look and she quickly apologized.

“Sorry. Please continue.”

“Alexis and I are engaged.”

“Wait what?” Michele said as if she didn’t hear him.

“Alexis and I are engaged. We’re getting married.”

“Oh that is not what I was expecting at all. Um,” Michele cleared her throat. “Austin could I speak to you in the other room for a minute?”

“Um yeah sure.” He said wearing a confused look. They both got up from the table and left. I looked over at my mom who had yet to say anything.

“Mom? What's your reaction to this?”

“Honey, as much as I want to be happy for you, I think you’re making a mistake.”

“Excuse me?”

“Its just that you and Austin don’t exactly have the greatest history together.”

“What do you mean?”

“You fight all the time.”

“So what?”

“So, I don’t think that makes for a good relationship.”

“So what if we fight? We make each other happy.”

“That may be true but you still fight to much to be a couple.”