Three mice

Thistle and Scabious trotted down the lane, kicking up dust as they went. The two good friends were on their merry way to meet yet another firm friend, the black mouse called Blackberry who was the son of the mouse apothecary.
"Do you think Blackberry would like to have a picnic? I mean, it would be frustrating if he didn't want to. And I'm carrying all this stuff for it. It's remarkably heavy you know" Thistle was complaining about the weight of the picnic supplies, grumbling as he fell behind.
Chuckling good-naturedly, Scabious took one of the heavier baskets from his friend.
"Come on. Don't whine so much. I'm carrying more than you, you know" The harvest mouse whistled a merry tune as he ambled along ahead of Thistle.
Soon, they were able to catch sight of the Bramble Woods where Hawthorn woodmouse lived with his son, Blackberry woodmouse.
Oak trees grew along the path, their leafy canopy shrouding the light and creating a dappled effect on the ground below. Trills and songs of tits and finches echoed along their wake, a flutter of wings in the nearby bushes signified the presence of a feathered friend.
"I don't know why they chose to live here... it's dark and dank and dreary. I'd much prefer to live in the open sunlight thank you very much" The ever grumbling Thistle commented as he stubbed his paw on a fallen branch. "Hang all branches!"
Scabious shook his head as his whiskers shook with amusement. "Blackberry told me that the woods is a good place for remedial herbs to grow. Also... all mice have different habitat tastes. You shouldn't be so grumpy or you'll bring on the rain"
Thistle kicked up the dust. He muttered "Il be grumpy whenever I like"
"Actually... Look! We're already there" Exclaimed Scabious as he pointed to an old tree trunk that made the home of the Woodmouse family. A small path led up to the door and Scabious opened the gate, allowing Thistle to go through first.
"Thanks" Said Thistle gruffly, heaving his baskets up the small pathway. Meanwhile, Scabious skipped happily past him, swinging his own baskets from his paws.
There was a note attached to the door. It read...
'I am out. The door is open so if you are a friend, feel free to come in. My son Blackberry is present in the house. I shall be back later during the day if my assistance is required. Signed, Hawthorn Woodmouse'
Thistle looked through the window "Yes, I can see Blackberry and as usual he is sitting in an armchair and reading a book"
Scabious shrugged. "You know Blackberry. He loves to read"
"Well. Are we going to knock or just go straight in?" Asked Thistle, leaning against the door after he put his baskets down with a sigh of relief.
"Oh. I think we'll go straight in. Give dear Blackberry a little surprise" Said Scabious as a mischievous smile slid across his features.
Thistle grinned. If there was one thing he liked it was giving other mice unexpected surprises.
"I think we'll sneak in and just give him a surprise. Shout out hello or something like that" Suggested Scabious.
"Sounds good" Said Thistle, dropping his grumpy air in the face of mischief.
The two mischief makers opened the door with perfect silence and crept into the house's hallway. Scabious peered around the door to the living room where Blackberry sat in unexpected bliss, revelling in his intriguing book.
Thistle and scabious stalked their third friend, managing to get right behind his chair without him even turning a whisker. They saw Blackberry turn a page and he crinkled the paper in anticipation of the story.
Thistle glanced at Scabious who nodded with a bright smile.
Together the two friends screamed "SURPRISE!" and leapt in front of their unassuming friend.
Blackberry leapt out of his chair and cried out "LORDS AND LADIES!" in pure terror and shock. The black mouse ended up tripping over the upturned chair and fell with a cry of surprise, landing on his back but mercifully missing the chair.
Scabious and Thistle fell about laughing with full blown mirth at their startled friend's antics.
Blackberry's eyes widened as he realised that his friends had played a prank upon him. He arose, his eyes bright with rage and guilt at being so gullible and susceptible to tricks and surprises.
"I say! What is the meaning of this?!" Blackberry's face was contorted with comical anger. "Do you mind? I could've slain myself if I fell upon that chair or I could have died from pure terror at your foolish ways!"
Scabious hiccuped "B-but it w-was worth it j-just to see y-your s-startled face. Ha ha ha!" He fell about giggling again like a blackbird giddy over worms.
Blackberry raised his eyes skywards. "Very flattered I'm sure!" He commented sarcastically to his two troublesome friends.
Thistle chimed up "On come on Blackberry. It's just a little joke. Can't you see the humorous side?"
The black mouse relented. "Yes yes... very funny indeed. Very witty indeed. But... what are your two doing here? If you came to see my father then he left a note saying that he is away"
"Yes. We know all that actually but we came to ask you out to a picnic"