The vision

(Anthropomorphic mice coming up next)

"Aren't you coming to join the feast? Everyone is asking for you to sing... you have a good voice" Acorn the mouse strolled up to his friend Blackberry and crouched down beside him.
Blackberry looked down and shook his head "I'm not going to the feast and I won't sing"
"Why not?" Acorn asked in dismay, his whiskers drooping.
"Because... because..." Blackberry had difficulty in finding the right words. "Because something isn't right. I can feel it... hanging over a pale sky... like a red mist... ready to thicken and strike when the time is right"
Acorn felt a shiver go through him at his friend's strange and visionary words. "Your probably just nervous about the feast"
Blackberry looked up, his green eyes wide with fear "I am nervous" he agreed firmly. "Nervous of what is to happen... Something dark is hiding... Hiding in a concealed eye... I see a face... a face... Something sinister... A dead creature risen..." He broke off with a gasp of terror, his eyes staring beyond, seeing only what he could see.
"Blackberry? Blackberry?" Acorn's voice became concerned as he shook his friend tentatively. He was desperately afraid that his friend was going into some sort of fit of madness or terror.
Blackberry spoke again and there was something unnatural within him: his gaze was distant and his voice was odd, as if he were beyond, as if he had lost control of his senses, lost control of his mind. "I see... I see... a large rat... wearing the black cloak of night and... a leaf... a mask to conceal his disfigured face... horrible... so terrible..." The gaunt mouse shuddered with his eyes wide open, staring into the distance. There was some unanswerable horror dancing in his stricken gaze. "A terrible past... Death and grief... such suffering, such pain" His voice became pitying yet it was still as distant as the hills beyond. "He was dead... Close to the sweet breath of darkskies... So close... But he survived, he lives still... Seeking revenge... and... and..." He broke off with a groan and placed both paws to his head, trembling uncontrollably.
Shaken to the core, Acorn sat still, terrified at seeing his friend acting so strange. It was as if Blackberry had seen the future, prophesied something. It hit Acorn like a snowstorm: Blackberry was a seer.
Blackberry jerked awake from his trance and in despair, placed both paws to his head and became silent.
Acorn placed a comforting paw over his friend's shoulders. "Don't worry. It will be fine... Everything always turns out fine in the end"
"Well... I hope you turn out right Acorn" Blackberry replied quietly. "The moon is red, red as blood"
The bleak words sent shivers down both their spines.
To lighten up the mood, Acorn turned to his friend and asked "Listen Blackberry. You are the son of the duke of Bramblehedge aren't you? You are of high blood. So why do you mix with us common mice?"
Blackberry looked away and a haunted expression passed across his black eyes. His whiskers were rigid as he replied "My mother and father weren't married. My birth was not permitted: it wasn't moral. I'm a bastard. Do you know what a bastard is?"
Not comprehending the word, Acorn shook his head.
"A bastard is a mouse born to a duke but the duke was not married to the female in question. It's a sad case..." He gave a mirthless laugh "Gabriel and I made up a song about it, do you want to hear?"
Acorn nodded wordlessly.
Taking this as a cue, Blackberry took his violin and placed it under his chin. He begun to play and sing: the words that came were of dreadful sadness and remorse.