Chapter 5: Unfolding Glance

I usually wake up to the gentle rays of the sun, but today was different. Instead, I felt the tiny fingers of my nephew, Gabriel, playfully pinching and prodding my nose and cheeks, as if trying to wake me up with sheer determination.

"Good morning, sunshine. I bet you like playing with my face, huh? Don't you?" I said, my voice still laced with drowsiness. The sight of Gabriel's mischievous grin filled me with warmth, and I couldn't help but smile.

His energy was infectious, and before I knew it, he was bouncing on the bed with unbridled excitement. I laughed and ruffled his hair, knowing that there was no way I could stay in bed any longer with this little ball of joy around.

"All right, all right," I said playfully, sitting up and stretching my arms. "Time to get up and start the day!"

I checked the clock on the side table, and it confirmed that it was seven in the morning. As I reached for my phone, my heart skipped a beat when I saw a text message, hoping it was a message from Pier. However, the only name I saw on the screen was Morgan's, and my heart sank slightly. I opened her message with a mix of concern and anticipation.

From: Morgan Javier

I think Mom will be discharged soon. Hopefully, we will be able to leave the hospital in a few hours. Thank you for looking out for Gab. I will make it up to you soon!

I replied to assure Morgan that Gabriel was safe and well taken care of. As I put my phone down, Gabriel tugged at my hand, eager to begin our morning. I scooped him up and headed to the bathroom, his small feet dangling happily in the air. With his toothbrush in hand, he enthusiastically mimicked my actions as I brushed my teeth, giggling all the while.

After his teeth were sparkling clean, I lifted him into the shower, where he delighted in the warm water splashing over him. He chatted animatedly about the adventures he wanted to have that day, his imagination running wild with excitement.

Once we were both ready, we made our way to the kitchen. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee filled the air, and I couldn't resist pouring myself a cup. Gabriel hopped onto a stool, his eyes wide with anticipation. "I'm hungry, Auntie. I want pancakes. Where's mom?" he asked, his voice tinged with eagerness.

I smiled at him, admiring his enthusiasm. "Your mom is at the hospital right now. She's with grandpapa because grandmama was sick. But don't worry, they will be here soon," I assured him as I set to work preparing his favorite pancakes.

As a child, I never understood why Mariana mistreated me. I was just a kid when I first met her. My father introduced her as my stepmother, but she had never been a mother to me. Probably also one of the reasons why I refused to give Pier a child when he asked me about the idea of having one. I didn't know what kind of mother I would be. I don't know how I will treat my own kid as I only had a glimpse of what a mother's love is. And I was scared to find out.

Gabriel's innocent questions brought me back to the present, and I focused on making the morning special for him. When the pancakes were ready, I placed a stack before him, and his eyes lit up with joy. "Thank you, Auntie Isla! You're the best!" he exclaimed, and my heart swelled with affection for this precious child.

After prepping ourselves for the day, Gabriel and I stepped out of our villa to meet Silas. I was dressed in a simple brown maxi dress, paired with sandals and a beach hat. Smiling, I noticed that I had color-coordinated Gabriel's outfit with mine. He looked adorable in his brown summer polo and khaki shorts, and I couldn't resist making him even cuter with a pair of sunglasses.

"Looking amazing with those sunglasses, Gab. You're ready for your photoshoot?" Silas greeted us warmly as he sat on the couch.

Glancing at Gabriel once more, I appreciated how handsome he looked. "A photoshoot for him is a great idea. We don't have many pictures together, Gab. What do you think?" I asked him.