The Good Guy [Part 3] - Iwaizumi Hajime

Start from the beginning

Those last words of his made you flustered, your mouth opening a little as you tried to find the right respond, yet you were just too speechless for your brain to even function properly. "Really?" Was all you could say. Those words weren't the three special words that you've been dreaming, wanting to hear from him, but it had the same impact. It made you happy.

"Really." He smiled sincerely, putting down his cup of coffee on the low table and you did the same. "So, your turn. Truth or dare?"

By then, thankfully, your mind was slowly calming down. "Truth." You answered, shrugging.

Iwaizumi clicked his tongue in slight disappointment for he had actually prepared a dare. He managed to think of a question within a few seconds though. "What do you think of us?"

"Us?"

"You and me. Our relationship. This." He quickly pointed at you and then at himself. "Us."

Your mouth opened but words didn't come out. Sighing instead, you looked into his eyes. "To be honest... There really was never an us."

His eyes widened once again as he felt his heart stopped for a moment. "W-What do you mean?" The ace managed to asked even though he was a little scared of what you were possibly going to answer.

You bit your lower lip, looking down at the floor as you tried your hardest not get too emotional. "I love you, Hajime." You said directly, –as cliche at it sounds– sending tiny butterflies into his stomach. He had heard those three words from you a few times– no, plenty of times rather since you started dating, and everytime you did that, the blackette always responded with a smile, not knowing how to answer for he was still confused about his feelings. Iwaizumi felt his guilt building up once again, realizing how he had been leaving you hanging for too long.

"Exactly." You spoke, pity chuckling at yourself, taking his silence as a sign of an indirect rejection. "The feeling isn't mutual. We're together yet it's like we aren't because it's one sided. I love you and that's it. There was never an us because I forced you to be with me." You forced smile though, Iwaizumi knew you too well to know that it was fake and it broke him. Tears then had started to fall from your eyes and you cursed yourself for you actually feared crying in front of him for some reason, and you just couldn't believe it was happening. "I'm sorry. I'm getting a little dramatic. Truth or dare?" You asked, trying to avoid the current emotional topic and situation you were in.

"Dare." He answered, almost inaudible for he was having a hard time speaking, seeing your current state. His heart was dropping, aching as his slightly opened mouth trembled. You were always so happy, so cheerful and bright that you could replace the sun. It hurt him so bad seeing you like this, crying and broken, and him being the reason for your pain was even worse.

"Y/N, I–" The blackette's phone suddenly rang. He picked up his phone from his pocket and you saw a glimpse of the name of the one who was calling... Furushita.

You then looked up to him and his eyes met with yours before answering the call. "Hello?" He said.

"Iwaizumi-kun, where are you?" You could hear Furushita's voice from his phone though her words were unclear and muffled.

"At Y/N's. Why?" He responded.

"My parents still aren't home. Can you come back and keep me company?"

"Uhm." He quickly glanced at you then back to the floor. "A-Alright."

"Thank you! I'll see you in a bit?"

Iwaizumi hesitatingly hummed as a response before hanging up and looking at you once again. "Y/N, I have to–"

"I dare you to stay." You cut him off with all the courage you had left as you stared deeply into his eyes, begging, tears falling continuously. "Please stay."

That was the final blow. He felt like a million sword had stabbed his heart at the same time. His eyes stung as his pride kept him from hugging you.

You said it like you were asking him to stay with you for the rest of your lives, you were asking him to stay and choose you instead of her.

You then spoke again with your voice broken. "I know I sound like one of those desperate side characters who doesn't want the male and female lead to be together. Probably because I am." You chuckled, trying to lighten up the atmosphere between the two of you even though you knew it was impossible with all the tears streaming down your face. "I'm not the protagonist of this story, I'm not your happy ending, but I'm still not ready to lose you yet."

After your last word, you were then startled when Iwaizumi suddenly grabbed your wrist and pulled you into his arms. "Stop being poetically emo already." He said, burying his face on the gap between your shoulder and neck. "I hate seeing you like this." The ace then looked at you as he cupped your face, gently wiping your tears with his thumb. "I'll stay, Y/N. I may not be able to say those three special words yet, but all I know is that you're the one I want to be with. You helped me with moving on, you made me happier than anyone else could. I'll stay... I'm willing to give this story a plot twist."

You know all those cliche stories where the girl is stuck between her two leading men, both of them in love with the oh so nerdy yet beautiful protagonist, one bad boy or playboy while the other is a literal angel who would do anything for her. Yet everytime in every freakin story, the protagonist would always pick the bad boy/playboy.

You, L/C Y/N, was a part of a similar situation. You weren't the protagonist. You were the girl who loved the good guy... who never thought he would love her back.

———
this part was so rushed i'm literally cringing. sorry it took so long for me to post tho :(( school's kinda giving me a hard time.