Chapter Twenty-Five: Hope and Valor

(Chapter Twenty-Five: Hope and Valor)

The quinjet (which I was able to reach before it took off the helicarrier) is piloted by Natasha and Clint and sets off at a very fast pace. I keep myself strapped in my seat beside Steve, who's now wearing the top part of his costume complete with the mask. Thor is seated on my other side. His arms are now covered again with metal-like sleeves and he holds Mjolnir in his left hand. Stark (who I will be calling without the 'Mr.') is now on his suit, different from the one he used at my school and different from the 'Suit-case'. He is just standing by the cockpit with his helmet off and his back turned away from us. Bruce is strapped in his seat across from us. It's a bit unusual for me seeing him wear only a white tank top and a pair of purple-ish pants. Oh, well. I guess he just doesn't want to wear something that's not worth the Hulk-out for.

To my surprise, Steve holds my hand, which is resting on my thigh, and gives me a comforting smile. He squeezes my hand before saying, "Don't worry. We'll save them in no time."

I just pull my hand away and roll my eyes in disgust and annoyance as I look away. How can't I? I trusted him, I trusted all of them and then I'll find out they just set me up? I'm tired of trusting people, whoever they are.

Still, I feel like a total jerk doing that to Steve. I'm not a hundred percent sure now if he's serious about that but he's just trying to comfort me. If only these sons of bitches didn't mess up with me in the first place, I wouldn't act like this. I wouldn't be like this. But, no. What's done is done and they're total jerks and they're total idiots.

Someone giggles silently, breaking the silence. I, then, realize it is Bruce. "Man," he says, "I cannot believe I'll let the Other Guy take control again." I fold my arms across my chest and just don't give any care about it.

Thor guffaws, making me jeer under my breath. "Akala naman kasi nakakatawa (It isn't even funny)," I mumble as I roll my eyes. Thor's laugh slowly fades and everyone turns silent again. Though, I spot Bruce with a rueful look on his face as he eyes me.

"Ronica," he coos. I raise my eyebrows coldly. "I think I'm speaking for everybody here on the plane when I say that we're sorry about setting you up. We know how much you entrusted us to save your family but we turned into such dicks—"

"Okay, okay, Doc," interrupts Clint. "We have a thirteen year-old on board so go easy with your words."

"I think it doesn't matter," says Stark. "I mean she called us 'assholes' a while ago and I can see that she's not just some thirteen yea—"

"Shut up," I coldly snap. I remove my seatbelt and walk away from them to the hatch and take my seat on the floor.

There's no way to let them earn my trust again. But whatever. I'll be gone from their lives after all of this is over. It'll be like they didn't know a Ronica Lorenzo in their lives.

"Let's just wait for our landing and save the people who needs to be saved." By that, I especially meant my family.

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

"You guys get off here while Natasha and I fly off further to the city," says Clint as he lightly looks over his shoulder.

"Right," utters Steve as he takes off his seatbelt. "You guys set the civilians free and we'll meet at the central base."

The hatch slowly opens and I step back a few feet. Placing RAFT on the floor, I take a deep breath before placing my feet on the pedals. As I get my eye scanned, I look over my shoulder to Stark and say, "Don't worry. You can have them back after all of this." Then, I step on the accelerator and trail off of the quinjet to the night sky.