THIRTY-FIVE

The past few weeks had been a lot harder than expected. A wave of depression had hit me harder than I had ever experienced. It's only fourteen days into the new year, yet I already wish it was over.

The past two weeks were especially hard, without having to go to work I had nothing to keep my mind occupied. I ended up painting every canvas I had, delivering paintings to all of the guys. Leo and Alisa had tried to talk to me, but I couldn't focus.

I lost focus on them entirely when Leo said that him and Alisa were going to move in together, without me. He told me that either I could move out, or they could... I haven't told him my answer.

Now as I walk towards the roof of the apartment complex, feeling the wind in my hair, I'm thinking of every instance. I squeezed my wrist with my hand, a method of calming I've used for many years. I reached the top stair and looked up.

The small lights of the roof lit up the ground, and nothing else. I slowly made my way to the railing, letting the wind brush my hair off of my shoulders.

I looked at the lights of other buildings, thinking of the lives of people there. I looked at the park that sits right in front of the building, thinking of Matty.

Matty.

I have been distant towards him, and he can tell. I looked down at the clock on my phone, 2:49am.

I guessed that Matty would answer, he always tries to. I slowly scrolled through my contacts, finally reaching his name. I tapped the contact, and then heard ringing.

After the fifth ring, I heard a grumble. "What do you need?"

I bit my lip, feeling like a burden. "I- I don't know," I admitted. "I don't know what to do."

"Sarilynn?" I heard Matty sit up in his bed. "Is everything alright?"

"I don't know; I feel numb," I stated, looking at my hair flying in my face.

"Where are you, baby?" Matty questioned.

"The roof."

"Okay, stay there," Matty breathed calmly. "I'll be there soon."

Once I heard the call end, I looked down off of the roof. It doesn't look like that high of a jump, I could probably live. Even if I did jump, nobody would find nor care to help me, so I would die.

Soon I heard footsteps, and I didn't care to turn around. I listened as they came closer, and then I felt strong arms wrap around me tightly.

"Sarilynn," Matty sighed.

I turned around to face him, and the dim lights illuminated Matty's worried expression. He opened his mouth as if he was going to say something, but then he closed it.

"Sarilynn," Matty repeated.

I took a deep breath, closing my eyes. "Leo and Alisa are moving in together. Either I have to leave or they do."

"Baby," I felt Matty's fingertips grazing my hips. "It'll be fine."

"No it won't," I shook my head. "I can't afford an apartment by myself with the hours I'm working. I work all of the hours available."

"Sarilynn," Matty gently held me in a hug. "Just move in with me."

"No, I'm not barging in on your space, plus I don't think it's fair if I don't pay," I explained.

"Then pay half of it, the same rent as you. You don't have to worry," Matty assured me. "We'll make it work."

I felt on the brim of tears, gripping at Matty's shirt. "My aunt is having complications," I stated. "Maverick is acting out. Genesis isn't doing well. My grades are suffering."

"Sarilynn," Matty kissed my cheek. "You're doing just fine. Maverick is a teenager, he does that. Genesis is strong, I know she'll get better. Your Aunt Suzanne is a smart woman and she'll fix it."

I nodded into Matty's shoulder, biting my tongue at the last thing. "I ran out of canvases to keep my mind off things."

Matty chuckled, rubbing my back. "I'll buy you some, don't worry." I squeezed Matty's shirt, not letting him release me.

"Quit your job," Matty sighed. "It's not doing any good, it's making you worse."

"Matty, I need the money," I stated.

"I'll take care of you. Sell paintings, I know people that would love them," Matty smiled. "Be with me, all day."

"Matty, you know I can't," I sighed.

"Yes, you can. You've worked there forever, they don't pay you well, it causes a lot of your stress, and people are assholes. You'll be fine, I'll take care of you for once," Matty kissed my temple.

"Matty," I shook my head. "I don't want to rely on you."

"You won't be, you'll sell your paintings and we'll be just fine. If you can't afford rent that month I'll pay it for you," Matty smiled. "I mean, I have paid it for a while now."

"Okay," I nodded, sniffling. "I'll pay you back for everything, eventually."

"No, no you won't," Matty chuckled. "You don't need to."

"My promise is made, I will pay you back. Now I am tired," I smiled, grabbing his hand.

Matty and I walked down to the third floor, and I turned to him with a faint smile. My red eyes from crying making my smile look long awaited.

Matty placed his hands on my hips, connecting our lips. "Are you going to stay with me, or go to your place?" Matty asked.

"I'm going home, I mean, soon I won't be able to get away from you. I might as well just enjoy my time alone," I joked.

"You love me," Matty laughed, kissing my cheek. "Night, love."

"Night," I smiled at Matty before turning around, and walking back into my apartment.

I opened the door and saw roses on the floor, spelling out words as Leo kneeled down on the floor.

"Sarilynn!" Leo laughed.

I read the words on the floor, "Will You Marry Me?"

"You're proposing to Alisa?" I asked, in disbelief.

"Well, yes. I love her," Leo explained. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

"Oh my god," I covered my face with my hands. "You've been with her two months, Leo!"