ONE

I stood by the balcony window, my eyes glued on the big moving truck. My apartment building isn't the best or most popular, it only has five residents. Who would want to move into an extensive and empty apartment complex?

Then a curly haired boy appeared from the truck, he wore black from head to toe. He carried a single cardboard box, fixated on hurrying to his flat.

I scurried towards the window in the front of my apartment, opening it. I then stuck my head out and saw the frustrated curly-haired boy. He only glanced at me, ignoring all forms of contact.

"Hello," I smiled. He continued to carry the box that seemed decently heavy. His scrawny arms surprisingly could carry the box with ease.

"Hi," he replied. I gazed at the cardboard box he effortlessly carried, noticing the messy sharpie writing on it. The scribbles read, "Matty's Fun."

"Sari, can you please open more windows? The place wreaks of weed," my roommate, Leo, begged. "I cannot stand the constant displeasure of my nose hairs."

"I did open the windows, you twat," I joked turning towards him. "I opened the screen of the balcony door and the front windows. I thought you had eyes?"

"I do have eyes, Sarilynn. I guess you have left a permanent stench in the flat then, correct?" He snarled.

"I believe so," I smirked. "Not like you haven't left a scent behind before. I live with you for Christ's sake!"

He brushed off my response, walking into the messy kitchen. The sink held unwashed dishes; the counters covered in boxes of cereal, and the fridge revealed picture memories.

"New flat owner I see," Leo walked towards me. "Oh Sarilynn Jone, why must you go after every man you can't have?"

I peered at the mysterious chocolate-haired boy as he trotted down the stairs. He raised his eyebrows at me, "Favour staring at strangers I see?"

"Why must you call yourself a stranger? I do know your name," I stated.

"Really?" He continued his venture. The boy trudged down towards the moving truck that carried his valuables.

Once he returned yet again, he paused in his tracks. The boy revolved to face me. "If you know my name, then tell me it," he instructed.

"Matty," I answered. "Now if you question me knowing said information, then you should reconsider label your moving boxes with your name." Matty then shook his head at me, continuing on his path.

"Sari," Leo caught my attention. "He probably has a girlfriend." I glanced at Leo, a scowl forming on my face.

"Do not be such a downer, Leonard," I sighed. "I already have figured that out. I will clean up my mess now."

I walked over to Leo, picking up empty beer bottles from the previous night. Luckily none of them were smashed, easing up my tensions.

"Okay, I'm off to work," Leo grabbed his keys. "Will I see you tonight?"

"Most definitely," I replied. "If I decide to venture out, I will inform you ahead of time."

Once Leo left, I cleaned the entire filthy flat. I cleaned the molding dishes to the dusty shelves. Although it took me a reasonable amount of time, I found it therapeutic. Listening to LCD Soundsystem always seems to calm down my thoughts and feelings.

Like I said before, there are only five residents inhabiting the Wellington Flats. The oldest of my neighbors is a man named Hobart, being seventy years of age he doesn't look a day under sixty-eight. Next, is a middle-aged single mum named Eva, and her teenage son, Manuel. Then of course is Leo and I, and now the new guy, resulting in a total of six residents.